WRX Gas Octane Preference... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX Gas Octane Preference... within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; You can go for the 87, love that engine knock ;] The owner's manual says nothing under 91 unless extreme ...

You can go for the 87, love that engine knock ;]
    The owner's manual says nothing under 91 unless extreme emergencies

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It is a valid question as you hear so much about cars that aren't tuned for premium wasting it. As said though, yours is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rummie View Post
    91 is as high as I can get here in OK, though certain places (Valero) make a huge deal about not having any alcohol in their gas. I like alcohol, especially when driving. Just keep your gas out of my beer.
    Alcohol would be a great addition to the gas if they didn't reduce the octane enhancers at the same time. I wish I could find good fresh alcohol free gas (or better yet e85).
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    It is a valid question as you hear so much about cars that aren't tuned for premium wasting it. As said though, yours is not.

Alcohol would be a great addition to the gas if they didn't reduce the octane enhancers at the same time. I wish I could find good fresh alcohol free gas (or better yet e85).
    You and me both

Lol, I find it hilarious....this kid I work with drives an automatic RSX...tells me he puts shell power v or whatever it is for there premium what not. I always tell him, dude...your car is tuned for 85...why are you wasting your money...on your automatic...where you didn;t do any of the mods on it but had coworkers throw that exhaust on for you...
    he goes on to tell me his car is faster...so what...
    I can ramble on and on about this kid

I Support ClubWRX
    I run 93 in my Rex.....cause I am tuned for 93, and almost every station here has 93 (One used to carry 110 oct. ). I am also picky about station and brand. I only get gas for my Rex from Sonoco, Exxon, or Shell (no Chevron in PA, or it would be on the list). And I only visit stations in good parts of town with high turnover rate (busy stations). Some of the more run-down stations have been cited for filling all tanks with 87 to make proffit, and low turnover can lead to water in the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    You and me both

Lol, I find it hilarious....this kid I work with drives an automatic RSX...tells me he puts shell power v or whatever it is for there premium what not. I always tell him, dude...your car is tuned for 85...why are you wasting your money...on your automatic...where you didn;t do any of the mods on it but had coworkers throw that exhaust on for you...
    I always ran 91 or 93 in my old '89 CRX. I could feel performance difference between premium and regular, and saw better MPG too boot. Granted, this is back when premium was $1.78/gal, but 26-28mpg from 87 octane or 33-36mpg from premium at 10-15 cents more a gallon is well worth the pennies dripped into an 11 gallon tank. Just cause the car is tuned for 87, don't mean it won't benifit from higher octane.

I also always ran 93 in my '05 tC....In that I was not able to tell the diff between 93 and 91, but 87 made the car feel sluggish. I used 93 over 91 though cause I was using 'cheap' gas....the kind you get at a discount because of 'gas points' earned at the grocery store that can only be redeemed at stations owned by said grocery store. They get their gas from 'Source One', who ever the hell that is.

I never put 'grocery store' gas in my Rex. Never.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    I never put 'grocery store' gas in my Rex. Never.
    Grocery store or unbranded convenience store gas is basically the same stuff you get from Exxon, Valero, or any of the brand name places. There are some slight differences between the major brand names because they get their own specific blend from refineries, but those same refineries also supply the grocery stores and other cheaper places. They don't have their own refineries. The fact is the gas you get from a no name place is very likely to be the same gas you get from a brand name place, just without the cost of the brand name advertising, so it's cheaper.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Grocery store or unbranded convenience store gas is basically the same stuff you get from Exxon, Valero, or any of the brand name places. There are some slight differences between the major brand names because they get their own specific blend from refineries, but those same refineries also supply the grocery stores and other cheaper places. They don't have their own refineries. The fact is the gas you get from a no name place is very likely to be the same gas you get from a brand name place, just without the cost of the brand name advertising, so it's cheaper.
    While in theory that is true....as you point out, they don't have their own refineries...you have equil chances of getting 'name brands' you (I) wouldn't want like BP, Citco, Gulf, or Lukoil. As these brands have lower market share, they are more likely to make 'generic' brands to cover cost than the 'top teir' brands

You also have the same chances of getting gas made by any of the 'top teir' brands or any of the 'lesser brands', but not the same gas as that which they brand for their sale. For example, Procto & Gamble make: Tide, Gain, Dreft, Ariel, Era, Bold, Ace, Dash, Daz, Cheer, Alo, Bonux, Rindex, Vizir....which are all laundry detergents, across all price points (some of those are foreign market).....I garantee you that stuff in the Tide bottle is not he same as what is in the Cheer or Era bottle simply in a different scent. Similarly, while that gas at the grocery store station might be made in an Exxon refinery, it is not Exxon gas.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    None of the stations around here that are good name brands seem to have cracked the turnover nut. They just don't sell the volume of premium that seems to keep it fresh enough. The Hess though gets mad business. I have had demonstrably better luck with their 93 relative to actual logging. I remember when it ended for me - I was driving up the mountain and stopped at a Sunoco that wasn't really booming to get 94 octane as a treat for the car (we don't have either up here) and by the next day my DAM had dropped.

I have a hard time cutting through the cloak around what actually drives differences in brands. I have heard people state quite convincingly that the trucks all fill up at the same pipes. It is unclear to me if they dump in their additive package in the line or in the truck etc. though. I do believe the base gas is identical, however I do think they get different additives some how. That seems to be the most important part IMO as it sets the octane level, detergent, and level of top end lubrication.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    I've always thought that it would be an interesting exercise to keep notes about how the car drove, and where I bought the gas, (in addition to mpgs), when I fill up each time. But my WRX's seem to have been so picky about other variables (temps, humidity, for example) that I'm not sure the data would have any value. If I filled up at Exxon, and drove around in 80 degree temps, then filled up at the Quick-E-Mart, and drove around in 55 degree temps, I would think that the Quick-E-Mart is selling rocket fuel.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    My only real hesitation when it comes to getting gas is whether or not I see a tanker in the area, for fear of debris stirred up during resupply.

As for stations, meh. Ethanol-free gas seems to get better mileage (2-3) than E10, but I think E10 provides a little better knock resistance.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

If I need gas, I go to whatever gas station I see around, and get whatever the Premium is they have...usually for the cheapest price. I'm over looking for "the best quality gas stations" around. If my car runs, it's fine. I drive like a grandmother anyway.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    I fill up only at name brand gas stations. I used to fill up only at the Shell near me. He got expensive & greedy with his credit/cash scheme. So now I fill up at a BP nearby. Costs a lot less than at the Shell & it is cash/credit same price. When you are paying $4.45/gallon, price is the biggest factor. The BP I go to somehow manages to keep the price on par or even below non branded gas stations.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    My only real hesitation when it comes to getting gas is whether or not I see a tanker in the area, for fear of debris stirred up during resupply.
    +1 I avoid tankers like the plague, lots of muck gets stirred up when they fill the underground tanks. I really have no brand preference as long as it's 93, but my high school shop teacher used to swear by shell and told us that all gas is most definitely not the same.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    You and me both

Where do you work, the mall? Just messin around. I know about those types.
    2012 SWP 5door Premium!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

As for stations, meh. Ethanol-free gas seems to get better mileage (2-3) than E10, but I think E10 provides a little better knock resistance.
    That and separate pumps. My IAM would drop a few if I went to a station with 1 pump serving all 3 grades.

I Support ClubWRX

Re: WRX Gas Octane Preference...

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan
    That and separate pumps. My IAM would drop a few if I went to a station with 1 pump serving all 3 grades.
    Every station I've ever been to sells multiple (3 or 4) grades at the same pump.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.