WRX hill holder, I don't like it anyone else?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX hill holder, I don't like it anyone else? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've had my WRX almost a month but have only put just under 300 miles on it. Still if there ...

WRX hill holder, I don't like it anyone else?

I've had my WRX almost a month but have only put just under 300 miles on it. Still if there is one thing I don't like and find exceptionally annoying its the hill holder. This is the feature that holds the car still on a hill so the car doesn't roll back.

My problem is the feature is too intrusive and activates at the slightest elevation change. I find this is a feature Subaru took the time to add but nobody asked for it. My other gripe is that it doesn't release at the same rate I'm coming off the clutch causing me to apply either too much throttle or not enough. The feeling is like you are taking off but the park brake feels like it is still on.

So I ask you guys, is there a fuse I can pull or remove to override the annoyance with ought leaving a light on the dash on or some other problem? Thanks in advance.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It seems like it's harder to control on the newer WRX and STI then my '09. I don't like it personally either because it feels like it takes away from the feel of driving a manual. But I also bought mine when someone installed a heavier clutch kit so it helps a lot. i
    I've tried looking for a fuse and haven't had any luck yet. As far as I know, it's probably something you can bring to the dealer and let them hook their software up and get into the ECU to turn if off.

Unless someone else can give us an easier answer

I Support ClubWRX
    There is a hill assist turn off procedure on the STI. But AFAIK it cannot be turned off on the WRX. Something you will have to learn to live with.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah i havent heard of a way to shut it off in the wrx, ive just learned to live with it and after a year im well used to it kicking in
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Forgot about the STI part.
    Try asking your dealer. I'm almost positive there's a way to turn it off by getting into the right parameter in your ECU. Some cars allow you to be able to have your door locks automatically at a certain speed givin it has that parameter installed.

I wish it was driver controlled like on my '11 Outback, which has a button under the dash. I agree with the poster who said it takes away from the manual feel. If you know how to drive a manual there is no reason to roll back on a hill.

I'm thinking if there is a dash light for it, there should be a relay and or a fuse someplace. I'm sure one of techy types in here will have this mod hacked soon.
    Current vehicles:

I Support ClubWRX
    The STI can be turned off....the WRX can't without a permanent idiot light....most Subaru techs will tell you it can't be disabled cause Subaru does not give them access to much beyond the ability to reset TPMS sensors.

This has been an open issue/annoyance for a couple of years....no fix found yet. sorry

There is a work around....when on the hill, don't have it in gear. If you have it in neutral, then throw it into gear just before you let out the clutch the hill assist does not kick in....I know this is counter intuitive and likely negligent and dangerous, but there you go.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

It doesn't bother me. I kind of like it.
    Ready, Fire, Aim!
    2013 SWP WRX Hatch
    Austin, Texas

Proud Member #512 of the Stink-Eye Mob

Re: WRX hill holder, I don't like it anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Gendax View Post
    It doesn't bother me. I kind of like it.
    +1

I can understand why some dont like it, but it's nice to have. I'm 23 and my first car was a VW JETTA 5 speed, so I learned how to properly pull out on a steep hill.

I always keep in mind that I'm not dependent on it, but it's nice to have when some clueless moron pulls up within a foot of my bumper.

If you're willing to live with your parking brake light on, its doable. I disabled my daytime running lights by slightly bending the arm that contacts the parking brake sensor, which also disables the hill assist since it thinks the brake is on.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    The STI can be turned off....the WRX can't without a permanent idiot light....most Subaru techs will tell you it can't be disabled cause Subaru does not give them access to much beyond the ability to reset TPMS sensors.

This has been an open issue/annoyance for a couple of years....no fix found yet. sorry

There is a work around....when on the hill, don't have it in gear. If you have it in neutral, then throw it into gear just before you let out the clutch the hill assist does not kick in....I know this is counter intuitive and likely negligent and dangerous, but there you go.
    Good to know, thanks for the tip.
    Current vehicles:

I Support ClubWRX
    Its alright its kind of a pain in the ass.. but you get used to it. Ive found if I dont push hard on the brake it doesnt set the hill assist.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    If you're willing to live with your parking brake light on, its doable. I disabled my daytime running lights by slightly bending the arm that contacts the parking brake sensor, which also disables the hill assist since it thinks the brake is on.
    Might do that, where is the parking brake sensor located?
    Current vehicles:

I Support ClubWRX

Re: WRX hill holder, I don't like it anyone else?

Gawd I hated that 'feature'. Luckily I could turn it off on my sti. Made hill starts next to impossible for somebody who was just learning to drive a stick. Still have yet to put it back on.

I'm ticked Subaru doesn't allow it to be turned off in the WRX. What an annoying thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    What year was the first for hill assist, out of curiosity?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.