Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX hill holder, I don't like it anyone else?

50K views 82 replies 44 participants last post by  Livinon2wheels 
#1 ·
I've had my WRX almost a month but have only put just under 300 miles on it. Still if there is one thing I don't like and find exceptionally annoying its the hill holder. This is the feature that holds the car still on a hill so the car doesn't roll back.

My problem is the feature is too intrusive and activates at the slightest elevation change. I find this is a feature Subaru took the time to add but nobody asked for it. My other gripe is that it doesn't release at the same rate I'm coming off the clutch causing me to apply either too much throttle or not enough. The feeling is like you are taking off but the park brake feels like it is still on.

So I ask you guys, is there a fuse I can pull or remove to override the annoyance with ought leaving a light on the dash on or some other problem? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
It seems like it's harder to control on the newer WRX and STI then my '09. I don't like it personally either because it feels like it takes away from the feel of driving a manual. But I also bought mine when someone installed a heavier clutch kit so it helps a lot. i
I've tried looking for a fuse and haven't had any luck yet. As far as I know, it's probably something you can bring to the dealer and let them hook their software up and get into the ECU to turn if off.

Unless someone else can give us an easier answer

#5 ·
Forgot about the STI part.
Try asking your dealer. I'm almost positive there's a way to turn it off by getting into the right parameter in your ECU. Some cars allow you to be able to have your door locks automatically at a certain speed givin it has that parameter installed.

#6 ·
I wish it was driver controlled like on my '11 Outback, which has a button under the dash. I agree with the poster who said it takes away from the manual feel. If you know how to drive a manual there is no reason to roll back on a hill.

I'm thinking if there is a dash light for it, there should be a relay and or a fuse someplace. I'm sure one of techy types in here will have this mod hacked soon.

#7 ·
The STI can be turned off....the WRX can't without a permanent idiot light....most Subaru techs will tell you it can't be disabled cause Subaru does not give them access to much beyond the ability to reset TPMS sensors.

This has been an open issue/annoyance for a couple of years....no fix found yet. sorry :shakehead:

There is a work around....when on the hill, don't have it in gear. If you have it in neutral, then throw it into gear just before you let out the clutch the hill assist does not kick in....I know this is counter intuitive and likely negligent and dangerous, but there you go.

#9 ·
+1

I can understand why some dont like it, but it's nice to have. I'm 23 and my first car was a VW JETTA 5 speed, so I learned how to properly pull out on a steep hill.

I always keep in mind that I'm not dependent on it, but it's nice to have when some clueless moron pulls up within a foot of my bumper.

#14 ·
Gawd I hated that 'feature'. Luckily I could turn it off on my sti. Made hill starts next to impossible for somebody who was just learning to drive a stick. Still have yet to put it back on.

I'm ticked Subaru doesn't allow it to be turned off in the WRX. What an annoying thing to do.

#21 ·
In my experience the sensitivity of the hill assist varies from car to car. With that, some may find it more annoying (or helpful) than others. On my first car (MY11) it would only engage on fairly steep hills, which made it very helpful. On my second (MY12) it engaged on the slightest of inclines. This caused me to burn the clutch half a dozen times when I wasn't expecting it to come on.

#26 ·
It seems contradictory, to me. It seems like either someone would want full control of the driving experience (give me manual!), or they'd want the conveniences that go with a slushbox. (give me an auto!) The person that learns driving on a hill-assisted manual may have a little bit of a surprise the first time he drives my car in San Francisco. :tongue:

#40 ·
Short answer, no.

I just tried this out to check. On the WRX, the traction light is only one color....amber. When you do hold it for 5-10 seconds it disables the traction control without the idiot light, but only till you restart the car, not permanently.

And with the above vid you would have a permanent idiot light on your gauge which is more annoying than the hill assist is.

#39 ·
My biggest complaint with the feature is that my home has a horribly steep driveway. I actually have to take entry and exit of my driveway at creative angles to avoid scrapping my front and rear ends. As I'm adjusting the car and feathering on off the clutch to carefully maneuver the car the hill holder is constantly engaging marketing this task frustrating.

Also since there is a slight delay I'm wondering how much that slight drag when leaving a stop is effecting the brake mechanism. I also live in a semi hilly area, so my hill holder is constantly activating.

#42 ·
It doesn't bother me unless I back up too quickly then brake. Hill assist engages without me realizing and when I'm giving it gas and letting out the clutch to the point where I should start rolling, it doesn't. I start wondering "what the hell's goin on?!" Then, out of nowhere, I'm off to the races!! It's like surprise launch control.

#47 ·
I start wondering "what the hell's goin on?!" Then, out of nowhere, I'm off to the races!! It's like surprise launch control.
Ha. Nice. I like that one.

#45 ·
I seem to remember another method where you disable the 2nd switch on the clutch pedal. You install something on the switch so that it never depresses. In the end, you would lose cruise control. Can anyone confirm this? I saw it on a forum form a google search, but I can't seem to find it again.

#46 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.