WRX hill holder, I don't like it anyone else? - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

This is a discussion on WRX hill holder, I don't like it anyone else? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

When I had my 08 I found the hill holder feature to be a PITA. When reversing onto my driveway it would remain on as I edged back causing the car to stall. Subsequent efforts to give more gas would cause the clutch to slip and burn. The local dealer checked it and told me that it would release with any kind of clutch engagement, even though they themselves were able to replicate the problem. They concluded that the device was working correctly and we were not driving the car properly.

Of course, when I needed a new clutch after around 20,000 miles, I must have been "driving too hard" as the clutch showed signs of being slipped. Personally I think that anyone who is skilled enough to drive a manual car with this much power should be able to handle starting on a hill without a damn nanny. Maybe I was just driving too fast

One of the things I'd like to know is how many folks who don't like the hill holder have driven manual AWD cars before. All the AWDs I've driven seem to be more difficult to get the clutch out cleanly than two wheel drive cars. It's a fine line between bogging the motor to stall, and slipping the clutch.

I know the adjustment to getting the WRX off the line clean took longer than I was expecting. I think maybe the hill holder does not help in this regard. I think because of the torque split of the AWD, and it's a bit tricker to engage clean and is being confused with the hill holder hanging up when stopping on an incline. Cause it is more difficult to start off uphill AWD vs two wheel drive while fighting gravity anyway.

Someone brought up that a hard stop engages the hill holder harder. Why not release the brake enough after a hard stop to let it roll a bit and setp back on it easy to full stop again? Should negate that problem.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

Quote Originally Posted by XRedJar View Post
    One of the things I'd like to know is how many folks who don't like the hill holder have driven manual AWD cars before. All the AWDs I've driven seem to be more difficult to get the clutch out cleanly than two wheel drive cars. It's a fine line between bogging the motor to stall, and slipping the clutch.
    You could have a point, my 08 was the first and only AWD car which I have owned. However, having grown up in England where we learn to use the handbrake at lights in neutral rather than sit on the breaks, I can say that I had a lot less trouble when pulling away without the hill holder.

I get what you're saying.....and I'd be just fine without it myself. I guess since it's there, I've just adaped to it and didn't get what all the fuss was about.

Guess in the end I'd sum it up as I could take it or leave it.....but I don't find it annoying.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

I'm engaged to my WRX. kedonot1's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    A lot of people dislike this feature, but it helps a lot..specially in hilly cities that I go through. It makes going up hills not a problem!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.