WRX hill holder, I don't like it anyone else? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX hill holder, I don't like it anyone else? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by kabz I love the hill assist. So far, it's been spot on with how I drive. Just ...

Quote Originally Posted by kabz View Post
    I love the hill assist. So far, it's been spot on with how I drive. Just let the clutch out normally and the brake comes off.

Pretty neat and saves me holding the ebrake on hill-starts.
    I agree. It's like the auto up window. Not necessary, but why not if you have it? I spend a lot of time in Pittsburgh and if you've driven there you know some streets put you at a red light going straight up a hill. Some drivers still pull up right behind you and it's easier than using the hand brake when you get the feel for it and trust it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I hate it, and wish I could turn it off.

and my dash rattles.....

But I like the turbo.

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    Its ok, but it's 'dumb-en-ing' I don't want to lose skill. Never needed to use the handbrake on hills - not even in Frisco. Now, who knows ...

I just got my wrx last month and I have to say, it threw me off at first. I'm still getting used to it and not a huge fan, but I can certainly see it coming in handy in the snow. Time will tell.

I don't really depend on hill assist (BTW, this is my first manual with the feature; had driven several and owned two manuals without). Nor does having the feature bother me. I don't even realize it's there anymore and have not stalled out taking off. On hills, I just learned to give myself a short pause before taking off...happens subconsciously.

I don't mind it. It's nice to have in Seattle (especially Queen Anne).

If you don't like it, just release the brake a bit before you want to take off. It disengages after a second or two of not having the brake pedal depressed.

Had a 1951 Studebaker that had a hill holder.

Love this feature

Guess I don't get the big debate over this. I've had manuals with the feature, and without. I find it's easier than having to use the handbrake, and it does not annoy me. That said....on a car without a hill holder....I'm just fine using the handbrake when starting off on a hill.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by XRedJar View Post
    Guess I don't get the big debate over this. I've had manuals with the feature, and without. I find it's easier than having to use the handbrake, and it does not annoy me. That said....on a car without a hill holder....I'm just fine using the handbrake when starting off on a hill.
    There is a real easy way to explain the debate.... Today, when you are driving home, head up a hill that has a stop sign or light at the top a little faster than you normally would, then stop hard. When you get ready to go again you will notice that the hill holder will actually fight you to get going again. That is because the Subaru hill holder is flawed. The degree of power it holds the wheel is somewhat proportional to the force you used to stop. This means if you have to stop suddenly, or if you drive in a way that you stop fast, the hill holder engages much harder and does not release the same as when you stop gently. This has caused some to stall out where they normally would not have. Additionally, the hill holder only requires a very slight grade to engage, so it can easily engage it on almost flat ground where it is nothing but a hindrance.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Going to have to try that, because I don't recall it being what I'd call variable based on how hard the stop was. I don't know as I've stopped hard and fast on a hill too many times either.

Would probably explain why I don't regard it as a problem.

Appreciate the info.....def going to have to try it and see.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

I'm on my 6th manual vehicle now...only one with hill assist. I was perfectly fine without it in all those other 5 cars, including 3 of them living in the hills of Manayunk, an area of West Philadelphia (born and raised) which has some VERY steep hills. I never backed into anyone. Never stalled out on hills...never even burnt a clutch to the point of smelling it. While the tech is nice...it's just not necessary and again, is another thing that takes full driving experience away from a driver. If someone doesn't know how to properly accelerate from a stop on a hill...then I don't know if they should be driving manual anyway.

I have definitely felt what Bruce was talking about...I've had to really give some gas to get it to release at times and it's annoyed the hell out of me.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Anyone notice this being a problem when facing DOWNhill? Maybe I was out of it that evening, but it happened to me while trying to back out of a parking spot in which I was pointed downhill. Really caught me off guard.

I think it's kind of neat tech. but have never had it before and wish I could turn it off as well. Never used the e-brake for starting on a hill either--that never even occurred to me!

I Support ClubWRX
    It does engage in a down hill application. It works for me daily checking the mail box.
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

Quote Originally Posted by Rodman View Post
    It does engage in a down hill application. It works for me daily checking the mail box.
    I too have noticed this...and it also works if you are in reverse about to go downhill...(example: parked facing downhill, then you let off in first to drive off). That gets REAL annoying.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast