Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX hill holder, I don't like it anyone else?

50K views 82 replies 44 participants last post by  Livinon2wheels 
#1 ·
I've had my WRX almost a month but have only put just under 300 miles on it. Still if there is one thing I don't like and find exceptionally annoying its the hill holder. This is the feature that holds the car still on a hill so the car doesn't roll back.

My problem is the feature is too intrusive and activates at the slightest elevation change. I find this is a feature Subaru took the time to add but nobody asked for it. My other gripe is that it doesn't release at the same rate I'm coming off the clutch causing me to apply either too much throttle or not enough. The feeling is like you are taking off but the park brake feels like it is still on.

So I ask you guys, is there a fuse I can pull or remove to override the annoyance with ought leaving a light on the dash on or some other problem? Thanks in advance.

#55 ·
Hello everyone ... going to be my very first Subaru WRX ... VERY FIRST Manual transmission I was just wondering what it was going to feel like. How does it work? Do you have to have the Clutch pushed to the floor for it to engage? or does it just activate when ever you ease off the brake and start disengaging the clutch?

#61 ·
I agree. It's like the auto up window. Not necessary, but why not if you have it? I spend a lot of time in Pittsburgh and if you've driven there you know some streets put you at a red light going straight up a hill. Some drivers still pull up right behind you and it's easier than using the hand brake when you get the feel for it and trust it.

#65 ·
I don't really depend on hill assist (BTW, this is my first manual with the feature; had driven several and owned two manuals without). Nor does having the feature bother me. I don't even realize it's there anymore and have not stalled out taking off. On hills, I just learned to give myself a short pause before taking off...happens subconsciously.

#69 ·
Guess I don't get the big debate over this. I've had manuals with the feature, and without. I find it's easier than having to use the handbrake, and it does not annoy me. That said....on a car without a hill holder....I'm just fine using the handbrake when starting off on a hill.

#70 ·
There is a real easy way to explain the debate.... Today, when you are driving home, head up a hill that has a stop sign or light at the top a little faster than you normally would, then stop hard. When you get ready to go again you will notice that the hill holder will actually fight you to get going again. That is because the Subaru hill holder is flawed. The degree of power it holds the wheel is somewhat proportional to the force you used to stop. This means if you have to stop suddenly, or if you drive in a way that you stop fast, the hill holder engages much harder and does not release the same as when you stop gently. This has caused some to stall out where they normally would not have. Additionally, the hill holder only requires a very slight grade to engage, so it can easily engage it on almost flat ground where it is nothing but a hindrance.

#71 ·
Going to have to try that, because I don't recall it being what I'd call variable based on how hard the stop was. I don't know as I've stopped hard and fast on a hill too many times either.

Would probably explain why I don't regard it as a problem.

Appreciate the info.....def going to have to try it and see.

#72 ·
I'm on my 6th manual vehicle now...only one with hill assist. I was perfectly fine without it in all those other 5 cars, including 3 of them living in the hills of Manayunk, an area of West Philadelphia (born and raised) which has some VERY steep hills. I never backed into anyone. Never stalled out on hills...never even burnt a clutch to the point of smelling it. While the tech is nice...it's just not necessary and again, is another thing that takes full driving experience away from a driver. If someone doesn't know how to properly accelerate from a stop on a hill...then I don't know if they should be driving manual anyway.

I have definitely felt what Bruce was talking about...I've had to really give some gas to get it to release at times and it's annoyed the hell out of me.

#73 ·
Anyone notice this being a problem when facing DOWNhill? Maybe I was out of it that evening, but it happened to me while trying to back out of a parking spot in which I was pointed downhill. Really caught me off guard.

I think it's kind of neat tech. but have never had it before and wish I could turn it off as well. Never used the e-brake for starting on a hill either--that never even occurred to me!

#75 ·
I too have noticed this...and it also works if you are in reverse about to go downhill...(example: parked facing downhill, then you let off in first to drive off). That gets REAL annoying.

#77 ·
When I had my 08 I found the hill holder feature to be a PITA. When reversing onto my driveway it would remain on as I edged back causing the car to stall. Subsequent efforts to give more gas would cause the clutch to slip and burn. The local dealer checked it and told me that it would release with any kind of clutch engagement, even though they themselves were able to replicate the problem. They concluded that the device was working correctly and we were not driving the car properly.

Of course, when I needed a new clutch after around 20,000 miles, I must have been "driving too hard" as the clutch showed signs of being slipped. Personally I think that anyone who is skilled enough to drive a manual car with this much power should be able to handle starting on a hill without a damn nanny. Maybe I was just driving too fast :p

#78 ·
One of the things I'd like to know is how many folks who don't like the hill holder have driven manual AWD cars before. All the AWDs I've driven seem to be more difficult to get the clutch out cleanly than two wheel drive cars. It's a fine line between bogging the motor to stall, and slipping the clutch.

I know the adjustment to getting the WRX off the line clean took longer than I was expecting. I think maybe the hill holder does not help in this regard. I think because of the torque split of the AWD, and it's a bit tricker to engage clean and is being confused with the hill holder hanging up when stopping on an incline. Cause it is more difficult to start off uphill AWD vs two wheel drive while fighting gravity anyway.

Someone brought up that a hard stop engages the hill holder harder. Why not release the brake enough after a hard stop to let it roll a bit and setp back on it easy to full stop again? Should negate that problem.

#79 ·
One of the things I'd like to know is how many folks who don't like the hill holder have driven manual AWD cars before. All the AWDs I've driven seem to be more difficult to get the clutch out cleanly than two wheel drive cars. It's a fine line between bogging the motor to stall, and slipping the clutch.
You could have a point, my 08 was the first and only AWD car which I have owned. However, having grown up in England where we learn to use the handbrake at lights in neutral rather than sit on the breaks, I can say that I had a lot less trouble when pulling away without the hill holder.

#80 ·
I get what you're saying.....and I'd be just fine without it myself. I guess since it's there, I've just adaped to it and didn't get what all the fuss was about.

Guess in the end I'd sum it up as I could take it or leave it.....but I don't find it annoying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.