16.8 mpg?! - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on 16.8 mpg?! within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Didn't buy for mpg's, I was just saying gas is too expensive for crazyness like 14mpg'd right feet...

I Support ClubWRX

16.8 mpg?!

Didn't buy for mpg's, I was just saying gas is too expensive for crazyness like 14mpg'd right feet

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    I'm moving back to AZ. Still 87 is only 3.65. I'm sure premium isstill cheaper then the 4.08 regular here in CT. I have to pay 4.40 a gallon
    =/

Then I have a 100 mile commute to and from work each day
    Talk about a kick to the nuts
    Not bad, I'd pay that.
    What octane is "premium" in CT? e10?
    I'm complaining because our "Premium" is only 91 octane with e10(required), we rarely have separate octane pumps yet we usually pay the most vs the rest of the country.

I can't wait to go catless. Til then I'll keep sane by remembering the rest of the world has it worst than us =)

What's catless have to do with mpg?
    I don't know anything about E10, unless it's 10% ethanol? I think that's what's in all of our gas. But we have 91 at some pumps but mostly 93

Its been said that people going catless(stage 2) actually notice an increase in fuel economy. Something about the engine not having to work as hard to get pass the restrictive cats, plus POWA!

Not 100% for you guys: Ethanol Free Premium Coalition

Yep, 10% ethanol. It makes for cleaner emissions(Thank you global warming) but lowers efficiency of gas thus lowering our Em-Pee-Gees.

Catless is starting to sound better now...just gotta make sure to not get rid of the OEM for emmisions testing

I Support ClubWRX
    OP....if your car is mostly stock, and the onboard MPG figure is off by 3, that tells me your driving habits are all over the place. Not that that is a bad thing....we all get the urge to floor it from time to time.

I have noticed with mine that if I drive consistently in the same manor (always balls out to redline, or always responsible with minimal boost) for an entire tank, that thing is pretty close to right (within .2 mpg).

If I spend large amounts of time in traffic, or drive part of the tank sane, and part of the tank crazy, it will be off by 2-4 mpg by the end of the tank...depending on how much tomfoolery I had in the mix.

For the record, I normally average about 17 to 19mpg....I am slightly modded and drive aggressively much of the time. The few times I have been able to restrain myself for most of a tank I was able to get about 23mpg....I have very few highway miles and lots of hills to contend with though.

One more note....I seem to remember many stating that they got better mileage at stage 1 or 2 tunes than on a stock tune....the stock tunes are crap, leave a lot on the table, and run rich to the point of being wasteful
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    OP....if your car is mostly stock, and the onboard MPG figure is off by 3, that tells me your driving habits are all over the place. Not that that is a bad thing....we all get the urge to floor it from time to time.

I have noticed with mine that if I drive consistently in the same manor (always balls out to redline, or always responsible with minimal boost) for an entire tank, that thing is pretty close to right (within .2 mpg).

If I spend large amounts of time in traffic, or drive part of the tank sane, and part of the tank crazy, it will be off by 2-4 mpg by the end of the tank...depending on how much tomfoolery I had in the mix.

For the record, I normally average about 17 to 19mpg....I am slightly modded and drive aggressively much of the time. The few times I have been able to restrain myself for most of a tank I was able to get about 23mpg....I have very few highway miles and lots of hills to contend with though.

One more note....I seem to remember many stating that they got better mileage at stage 1 or 2 tunes than on a stock tune....the stock tunes are crap, leave a lot on the table, and run rich to the point of being wasteful
    +1

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Its been said that people going catless(stage 2) actually notice an increase in fuel economy. Something about the engine not having to work as hard to get pass the restrictive cats, plus POWA!

Not 100% for you guys: Ethanol Free Premium Coalition

Yep, 10% ethanol. It makes for cleaner emissions(Thank you global warming) but lowers efficiency of gas thus lowering our Em-Pee-Gees.

Here in PA e10 is not required, but you are hard pressed to find e0 near any major metro area. So, for me, living in Pittsburgh, all I get is e10....though I do have 93/94 octane at almost every station.

The pumps around here also have stickers about cleaner gas between June 15 and Sept. 15....so the formula changes for the summer months

edit: Just did some reading on the winter/summer gas thing.....Here in PA, at the stations I visit, they seem to add methyl tertiary butyl ether (MTBE) to the gas in the winter. This actually increases the octane rating and adds oxygen to the fuel. This really only effects north-eastern and mid-west states....but if you want a better understanding of this, this article gives a simple explanation:

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/winterGas/winterGas.html
    Last edited by DemonWRX; 10-14-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Re: 16.8 mpg?!

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    They defiantly are all over the place.. I'm much more conservative when I have my girls in the car with me

I once was getting 10-11 or so MPGs, until I took the neg clam from the battery for about 5 minutes, to reset the ecu. DO this and your problem will go away. Of course, after you put the battery clam back on, you will need to drive moderately for about 5-10 minutes around the block or so.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    I once was getting 10-11 or so MPGs, until I took the neg clam from the battery for about 5 minutes, to reset the ecu. DO this and your problem will go away. Of course, after you put the battery clam back on, you will need to drive moderately for about 5-10 minutes around the block or so.
    This makes no sense.
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

KHP
    How long is a typical drive for the OP? I remember someone complaining of not getting over 20MPG. The funny part is the owner never drove over 3 miles to school/work. The car engine never warmed up to operating temp.

So in summary the car was always in cold rich fueling state. Causing the terrible MPG's.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ea126405 View Post
    This makes no sense.
    I think I would say little, not no sense....

When you cycle the power like that you might be able to cause the ECU to 'forget' what was 'learned'.....then the 'drive moderately for about 5-10 minutes' would cause the DAM to go back to 1.....However, if your DAM is below 1, your car is not happy, and other issues might need to be addressed, or you might be back to bad performance shortly.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Registered User thescreensavers's Avatar
    Just hit 1k today, I have had the car for a week. This is what I am seeing.

65mph - 24mpg
    70 - 22mpg
    80 - 18mpg

This was done by simply getting cruise control on the speed and reset the trip, and let it go for 2 miles.

I feel that I am getting less than what I should be getting but, I haven't done the math yet.

I am doing it for this tank.

My Daily commute is 30 Miles Highway 2 miles City one way.

Re: 16.8 mpg?!

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    How long is a typical drive for the OP? I remember someone complaining of not getting over 20MPG. The funny part is the owner never drove over 3 miles to school/work. The car engine never warmed up to operating temp.

So in summary the car was always in cold rich fueling state. Causing the terrible MPG's.
    6 miles-20 miles mostly city backroads, some highway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.