I'm thinking of becoming a traitor...
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on I'm thinking of becoming a traitor... within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I know I'll get a lot of crap for posting this, but: I'm sure it will be hard for me ...

I'm thinking of becoming a traitor...

I know I'll get a lot of crap for posting this, but:
    I'm sure it will be hard for me to get an UN-biased opinion, but nonetheless I'd like to try.
    First my background:
    I currently have a 2008 WRX 4EAT ...lots of upgrades and goodies added, but not much on the engine...intake, cat-back exhaust, pro-tune.
    Results:
    0-60 5.6 sec.
    1/4 mile 13.8@100MPH
    191 WHP
    290 WTQ
    Stock turbo running at 17PSI
    Car is running great...no issues...body or mechanical. 50K miles on it.
    Admittedly...I'm REALLY craving a dual clutch setup (No VW GTI for me...can't give up AWD)
    No, I don't drive a stick... Call me a poseur all you want...I can take it.
    I was THINKING of trading it in for a 2012 Ralliart. again.
    I'd like to try something different. Shhhh...no hateful comments...I know I know.
    Anyway...I'd like to get a general consensus on durability and reliability on the engine, trans, and turbo in this configuration. I would probably leave most of the car alone, but add an intake, cat-back exhaust, and get a tune again...same as my WRX. Would my numbers be comparable after that? Do you think this would be a good trade? Are there known issues with the trans? (heard some rumors) And no, I don't race or autocross, but I don't baby my car either.
    The Mitsu dealer already offered me between 17K-18K for my car.
    Any thoughts??? Please don't just shout out a bunch of 'I hate Mitsubishi' comments.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

From what I've heard about the Ralliart there isn't anything wrong with the tranny. The EVO X I have heard have weaker trannys though.
    Do they even make Ralliart as a stick? In my opinion, Mitsu is a pretty good brand. I traded inmny 10 Lancer ES for a 09 WRX and didn't have anything wrong with it.

What exactly is dual clutch?

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    From what I've heard about the Ralliart there isn't anything wrong with the tranny. The EVO X I have heard have weaker trannys though.
    Do they even make Ralliart as a stick? In my opinion, Mitsu is a pretty good brand. I traded inmny 10 Lancer ES for a 09 WRX and didn't have anything wrong with it.

What exactly is dual clutch?
    The dual clutch system (The SST Twin Clutch) that Mitsu uses is basically a manual trans with an automated dual clutch. So basically if you're in 4th gear, 3rd and 5th are already in play and can be shifted to almost instantaneously...using either the shifter in sport mode or the steering wheel paddle shifters. The Lancer Ralliart uses a 6 speed. No, no stick in the Ralliart.

Oh, so it makes it an easier and smoother shift?
    But ya, Mitsubishi is a pretty good car manufactuer. I like both Subie and Mitsu. If I had it my way and the money for it, I'd have a brand new STI and EVO.
    As long as they give you a good deal I don;t see any problem trading

Learn to drive a manual.

/Thread

Seriously it's not that hard, I learned on my WRX.

I heard they might be making stick Ralliarts? That'd be pretty nice

I understand that it may not be that hard, but as a daily driver in horrible Michigan rush hour traffic...I just simply don't want to deal with it...not going to increase my driving enjoyment... merely make it more miserable. Besides...that SST in the Ralliart shifts faster than any human can so it all evens out and still gives me something to do while being slightly lazy at the same time.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If I could deal with the manu-matic, I'd consider the Ralliart. It really is a good car. A little down on the performance spectrum, but nothing a few mods can't remedy. I've been toying with purchasing an EvoX for years now. However, after all the work I've personally done to my bugeye, it's hard to walk away.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

You should still learn manual for that one time you'll have to drive your drunk friend home from the bar and he has a 2000 chevy cavalier manual

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    I know I'll get a lot of crap for posting this, but:
    I'm sure it will be hard for me to get an UN-biased opinion, but nonetheless I'd like to try.
    I don't understand why you say this.

To prefer one huge corporation over another is meaningless. Consider whether this would be an issue if the forum dealt with vacuum cleaners or refrigerators. Would anyone think twice about not buying another Hoover, and buying a Miele instead? Or not buying a Whirpool but a Borsch?

In fact, let's take it a step further. If I have a Bosch washer, why would I care whether you use a Maytag to do your laundry?

I'm REALLY craving a dual clutch setup (No VW GTI for me...can't give up AWD)
    No, I don't drive a stick... Call me a poseur all you want...I can take it.
    I was THINKING of trading it in for a 2012 Ralliart
    One of the long-time members and mods here has one, and he was very impressed with it.

I don't blame you for the paddles; I'd prefer them also.

Anyway...I'd like to get a general consensus on durability and reliability on the engine, trans, and turbo in this configuration.
    Since only one person I know of on this forum has that car, I don't think this is the place to generate a consensus. I'd try the Mitsu fora.

Do you think this would be a good trade?
    No. Your Subaru is too new for this to make $en$e and I suspect you will lose money. I like money.

The Mitsu dealer already offered me between 17K-18K for my car.
    I find this remarkable. It imples (s)he will attempt to sell it at 20K. To whom?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

@SD_GR - well...I can't get more than 19K for my Subie in my front yard I suspect. So the 17K-18K from the dealer for a trade is sounding awfully good to me. The Subaru dealership wouldn't even give me 17K...just below. I already took your advice and posted the same basic thing on the Ralliart forum...just looking for some perspective...the law of averages if you will.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    @SD_GR - well...I can't get more than 19K for my Subie in my front yard I suspect. So the 17K-18K from the dealer for a trade is sounding awfully good to me.
    It's looking too good to me, and if it's too good to be true...

The Subaru dealership wouldn't even give me 17K...just below.
    That seems more realistic frankly. Truth be told I hope you get $30K for your trade in and come out making money. I would just caution you about being ready to walk if there are surprises when it actually comes time to trade in the Subaru to the Mitsu guys.

I already took your advice and posted the same basic thing on the Ralliart forum...just looking for some perspective...the law of averages if you will.
    Great. I hope they like it. I would love to see an affordable, reliable paddle shift 4 door or 5 door with AWD. Who makes it is secondary as long as they support it. Ask about dealer warranty problems etc. too. Subaru may not be alone in taking liberties with interpreting a warranty agreement (read: denials).
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'm going to the Mitsu dealer on Oct. 18th...will post my impressions, conclusions, decisions, etc. It will be interesting I'm sure.

I Support ClubWRX
    Think about long-term experiences too. Buy the dealer not just the car. Have a look at the service dept., see whether they are large enough, not too busy, etc. Try to see if any of the Mitsu owners on the other fora have dealt with that dealer during purchase and/or during service.

Example: "My" Subaru dealer was excellent during sales and the service manager always (always!) honoured any and all warranty requests even though I did all my own maintenance (I use authentic parts and keep not just dated, ordered receipts in a binder, but the actual parts themselves, including expendables such as oil and air filters, not because all this is necessary but because I am mentally ill). However, everyone else thought just as highly of them, and it became difficult to schedule service, plus their shop was too crowded and they scratched up my bumper once quite badly. They repainted it, and things do happen, but I mention it because, well, it did happen.

Other dealers deny warranties, jerk people around, etc. Shop carefully and keep yourself in mind firstly.

@SD_GR - You hit the nail on the head. That's my main concern right now. The Mitsu dealership...one of two anywhere near me...is about 1 hour away. I had VERY GOOD experiences with Subaru NA, but not always the dealerships. I've had a fuel pump and all 4 injectors replaced by Subaru when my car was OUT of warranty and I didn't pay a dime. However the dealership experience was subpar...time, scratched my window tint, back and forth phone calls, miscommunications, etc. *sigh* I hate the pros/cons game...it's exhausting.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast