I'm thinking of becoming a traitor... - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on I'm thinking of becoming a traitor... within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX It's your money, and you should get what you want. That said, I always recommend to ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    It's your money, and you should get what you want.

That said, I always recommend to people that they learn manual, for the experience and for safety. Best of luck with your decision!
    Just because the OP doesn't want a manual transmission doesn't mean the OP doesn't know how to drive manual
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    As of now I've done a couple test drives...Volvo C30, S60 T6 AWD, VW Jetta GLI, GTI, and Mitsu Lancer Ralliart is next.
    Good! My usual advice when someone says "I'm thinking about getting car X" is to go drive it. That, in my mind, is the single most important part of deciding on a new car.

Otherwise, I'll just re-iterate one original questions and see if we can get some thoughts on that:

What can he expect from his current engine as far as maintenence/reliability? ("I currently have a 2008 WRX 4EAT ...lots of upgrades and goodies added, but not much on the engine...intake, cat-back exhaust, pro-tune.")

Important to know for anyone to give feedback on that: How many miles are on the car?

As far as whether the Ralliart will be comparable to the WRX with similar mods, as mentioned there's only 1 or 2 guys on this board who have/had Ralliarts, so this may not be exactly a font of info on that question.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Good! My usual advice when someone says "I'm thinking about getting car X" is to go drive it. That, in my mind, is the single most important part of deciding on a new car.

Otherwise, I'll just re-iterate one original questions and see if we can get some thoughts on that:

What can he expect from his current engine as far as maintenence/reliability? ("I currently have a 2008 WRX 4EAT ...lots of upgrades and goodies added, but not much on the engine...intake, cat-back exhaust, pro-tune.")

Important to know for anyone to give feedback on that: How many miles are on the car?

As far as whether the Ralliart will be comparable to the WRX with similar mods, as mentioned there's only 1 or 2 guys on this board who have/had Ralliarts, so this may not be exactly a font of info on that question.
    a smidge under 50K miles...would be nice to have a warranty again. Right now my car is just fine and all regular maintenance has been kept up. That's sort of why I'm looking NOW. I want to possibly get rid of the Subie while it still has some value and is in perfect running condition. I know once you hit a certain magic number...certain things will need replacing and money will start going out the window. (belts, hoses, brakes, suspension bits n' pieces, etc.)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Just because the OP doesn't want a manual transmission doesn't mean the OP doesn't know how to drive manual
    Indeed, perhaps too much inference on my part. Others have referenced that it's not hard to learn, and he never corrected them on the assumption.
    Most of the people I know that prefer auto are not skilled manual drivers.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Oh, I will gladly admit I am not a skilled manual driver. You're definitely right on that. I just simply don't have the desire/ambition to become a skilled manual driver. Laziness...?...maybe...or maybe just more parts that can break and need replacing. I just deal with too much stop n' go traffic and it's not worth it to me.

I wish the Audi S3 would come to the US...I could be on board with that...totally my style. Man...this thread is getting off track...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Think about long-term experiences too. Buy the dealer not just the car. Have a look at the service dept., see whether they are large enough, not too busy, etc. Try to see if any of the Mitsu owners on the other fora have dealt with that dealer during purchase and/or during service.

Example: "My" Subaru dealer was excellent during sales and the service manager always (always!) honoured any and all warranty requests even though I did all my own maintenance (I use authentic parts and keep not just dated, ordered receipts in a binder, but the actual parts themselves, including expendables such as oil and air filters, not because all this is necessary but because I am mentally ill). However, everyone else thought just as highly of them, and it became difficult to schedule service, plus their shop was too crowded and they scratched up my bumper once quite badly. They repainted it, and things do happen, but I mention it because, well, it did happen.

Other dealers deny warranties, jerk people around, etc. Shop carefully and keep yourself in mind firstly.
    This is good advice, a lot of people get tunnel vision on the price of the car, but smart new car buyers might pay just a tiny bit more up front and forge a good relationship with a good dealer. We have folks like that at my dealership and when they need something we make damn sure they get it. Oh and learn to drive stick already! If you're constantly in traffic then whats the point of having a sporty car anyway?
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    If you're constantly in traffic then whats the point of having a sporty car anyway?
    Good question...maybe I'll trade it in for a Yugo. Do they still make those?

I Support ClubWRX

I'm thinking of becoming a traitor...

Good question...maybe I'll trade it in for a Yugo. Do they still make those?
    Funny that you should ask. "Yugo" meant a single car in the US, the Zastava Yugo. Malcolm Bricklin was the financier; he is connected to Subaru, but the project for which people curse him the most is neither the Subaru nor the Zastava Yugo, but the car bearing his name: Bricklin.

Anyway, the Yugo was a Serb Fiat 127, and the 127 was ahead of its time and a COTY. I think the Zastava 10 may still be around, and that's a Fiat Punto. I've not seen a Zastava in years though, even in the south Balkans.

The Yugo with a Fiat X1/9 motor transplant was hot.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The Yugo with a Fiat X1/9 motor transplant was hot.
    yeah...hot as in...they used to catch on fire...

I Support ClubWRX

I'm thinking of becoming a traitor...

The bigger motor really transformed the car. It was never allowed on the spec racers. Good times.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

To all that have replied to this post...once again...I appreciate your input. I've since received another opportunity for a test drive of something that I thought was out of my reach. Tonight I'm going to test drive a slightly used 2012 Volvo S60 R Design. No paddle-shifters though...we'll see. It's just another car to consider at this point, but man...it's got a lot of GOODIES in it...intriguing.

No go on the RDesign. Sweet ride...impressed with the performance. Dealer did NOT want to negotiate enough...kept reminding me how 'rare' the car is. Annoying. So I walked. We were about $4K off between the price and my trade all together. Oh well. I test drove a G37x sedan last night as well...just a base model...nonetheless...also pretty great car. Again...got them down quite a bit, but not quite enough. It's looking like selling my WRX privately is the way to go...or keep it. Car shopping...fun and stressful at the same time.

I don't know how it works where you live, but here I can sell my car privately and ask the dealer to do the paper transfer. This way we save the tax on the old car just like a trade in.

My girlfriend did that when selling her Golf for her Tacoma, she saved over a grand.

I Support ClubWRX
    No go on the RDesign. Sweet ride...impressed with the performance. Dealer did NOT want to negotiate enough...kept reminding me how 'rare' the car is. Annoying. So I walked. We were about $4K off between the price and my trade all together. Oh well. I test drove a G37x sedan last night as well...just a base model...nonetheless...also pretty great car. Again...got them down quite a bit, but not quite enough. It's looking like selling my WRX privately is the way to go...or keep it. Car shopping...fun and stressful at the same time.
    The moment it becomes stressful, stop. Walking away was absolutely the correct thing to do. If there is any doubt, there is no doubt. Walk.

If they really like the car, or it's "rare," tell them you wouldn't want them to lose it, and let them keep it. Leave them a business card and have them ring you if they decide they want money more than they want the car.

Life's too short.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast