Question about test-driving at the dealership - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Question about test-driving at the dealership within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Before taking a car for a test drive,you will be asked to provide a copy of your driver's license. If ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Before taking a car for a test drive,you will be asked to provide a copy of your driver's license. If anything were to happen to the car,you will be held liable.

I have the same question,why do you want to let your unlicensed cousin test drive the car you are interested in buying?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A lot of people look at these cars and not many buy them ( in terms of people just being tire kickers) The only reason I was given a test drive on mine as early on as I was is b/c I was friends w/ the salesman who sold it to me.
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

I Support ClubWRX
    One situation where being middle-aged with a few gray hairs comes in handy. You show up in business casual clothes, and you can pretty much test drive whatever you want. Or at least, that's been my experience.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    One situation where being middle-aged with a few gray hairs comes in handy. You show up in business casual clothes, and you can pretty much test drive whatever you want. Or at least, that's been my experience.
    Yeah, that's how it worked for me. I set up the appointment on the internet. They didn't even ask to look at my driver's license. Worked, I ended up ordering one that day.
    Ready, Fire, Aim!
    2013 SWP WRX Hatch
    Austin, Texas

Proud Member #512 of the Stink-Eye Mob

Quote Originally Posted by Mf645 View Post
    I have really no idea, but why would a dealer, any dealer let someone drive a car that has no possible way to buy a car? Why do you want him to drive the car?
    Since when he gets his license, I might let him borrow my car when I'm at work. I'm the one buying the car, he would be coming with me.
    Production Assistant located at DRIVE, working on Fast Lane Daily on YouTube
    www.YouTube.com/DRIVE
    www.YouTube.com/FastLaneDaily

Quote Originally Posted by Gendax View Post
    Yeah, that's how it worked for me. I set up the appointment on the internet. They didn't even ask to look at my driver's license. Worked, I ended up ordering one that day.
    You set up a test-drive appointment online?
    www.YouTube.com/DRIVE

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Before taking a car for a test drive,you will be asked to provide a copy of your driver's license. If anything were to happen to the car,you will be held liable.

I have the same question,why do you want to let your unlicensed cousin test drive the car you are interested in buying?
    He has a legal learner's permit, so he is legally allowed to drive a car as long as a licensed driver is with him. I want his opinion of the car, especially since I might let him use it once in a while.
    www.YouTube.com/DRIVE

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Ummmm what!? I'm so confused.

Why does he need to drive a car you're buying?

Also Subaru hardly lets anyone drive these cars without proof they will buy it. They don't allow joy rides. Good luck though.
    Proof you would buy it? How would you provide said proof?
    www.YouTube.com/DRIVE

I Support ClubWRX
    How old are you? It's unlikely you will get a "solo" test drive, in that a salesperson will likely be with you during it (many dealerships require it for liability reasons). While you'll be able to drive the car (with proof you have a drivers license), your cousin will most likely not be. I know if I owned a dealership, there would be no way I would allow an unlicensed driver (a learners permit doesn't count) to operate one of my vehicles on public roadways; if that cost me a sale, so be it...

That said, absolutely no one on the Internet will be able to answer your question; the only people who can are employed at the dealership in question.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    How old are you? It's unlikely you will get a "solo" test drive, in that a salesperson will likely be with you during it (many dealerships require it for liability reasons). While you'll be able to drive the car (with proof you have a drivers license), your cousin will most likely not be. I know if I owned a dealership, there would be no way I would allow an unlicensed driver (a learners permit doesn't count) to operate one of my vehicles on public roadways; if that cost me a sale, so be it...

That said, absolutely no one on the Internet will be able to answer your question; the only people who can are employed at the dealership in question.
    I'm 19. I know the GM quite well, so hopefully that will help me out. I believe at this dealer they often do allow solos, except on their WRX/STi's.
    www.YouTube.com/DRIVE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltine713
    I'm 19. I know the GM quite well, so hopefully that will help me out. I believe at this dealer they often do allow solos, except on their WRX/STi's.
    Regardless, you need to be open/honest about your intentions.

How would you feel if you let a friend borrow your car and they let their unlicensed (LP) cousin drive it?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

What’s funny about where I live, I've test driven too many WRX's to count over the last year. But each time I showed up in my work truck with my company logo plastered all over it, once the dealers find out I own the company they will practically let me test drive a lambo if it was sitting there. (I'm definitely not rich or loaded) but my work truck makes it look like I have a fleet of 50 of these trucks and it's a big company. Anyway, what’s interesting fast forward to last month and it seems like every dealer wants a credit check and a commitment to buy to test drive any WRX/ Sti.

I didn't even drive my '13 WRX base before I bought it, I saw it sitting on the truck with all the paper & plastic still on it, it was exactly the car I wanted and how I would have ordered one if I did from the factory so I just ran in, did all the paperwork to make sure I was the only one who ever "test drove it" Put it this way every previous WRX I had ever driven the salesman said everytime "Floor it" or hey man just "Dump the clutch" and feel the power etc... one salesman said he was doing 130 on the freeway and so on...

Anyway my point is that if I'm buying one of these I don't want one that’s been beat on 50 times before it was broken in, and I respect any dealer not allowing anyone serious about buying one of these cars.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    When I showed up in my modded WRX asking to test drive a STi at probably 22-23 years old they basically handed me the keys and said "have a good time". The sales person rode with me of course, and he had a set route for me to go (back roads). But that didn't stop me from drifting it back onto the service road.. I didn't really act like I was that interested in buying either, I just told them I wanted to see how the six speed felt and was considering trading up. Of course I owned a WRX that I had bought new when they first came out and it was already paid off, so they probably figured I was responsible.

Re: Question about test-driving at the dealership

Quote Originally Posted by Saltine713 View Post
    He has a legal learner's permit, so he is legally allowed to drive a car as long as a licensed driver is with him. I want his opinion of the car, especially since I might let him use it once in a while.
    Dude, you are too nice to your cousin. There is no wai in hell I'd let my cousin(licensed or not) drive my car...
    The WRX isn't all that powerful, but when I was on my learner's I almost killed myself a few time in a stock civic sedan.

This is your car, don't buy the thing because your cousin will be driving it too... probably recklessly.

Posted from a fone.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd say I am probably the best qualified person here to answer this, and as lenient as I am with wrx test drives, I hate to say it but I'd tell you no. I have no problem taking most folks for a WRX test drive but a lot of wrx "shoppers" unfortunately think the Subaru dealers are six flags. It's just not worth it to me to risk my life/job/miss another sale etc. getting into a high performance car with a kid on a learners permit driving me around, just to potentially make a meager $200 commission if you buy the car. And to prove what, that your 17 year old cousin likes driving a WRX? I'm sure he would love it, he's 17 it'd almost certainly be the best car hes ever driven. And if not **** him, hes not buying it, owning it, or paying for it anyway! Motor trend, car and driver, road and track, and consumer reports all like the car, I'm sure they are better qualified than your little cousin no offense. The only way I'd personally do it is if you left a $500 deposit on the car and filled out a credit application first to prove you are serious about buying it and are financially able to afford it, and I doubt most dealers would even do that honestly, but that's what I would offer the dealer if you really need his opinion.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast