New to the WRX, just picked up base sedan..
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to the WRX, just picked up base sedan.. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So finally got my dream car last week after dreaming about the WRX since the 2011+ updates. I've actually always ...

New to the WRX, just picked up base sedan..

So finally got my dream car last week after dreaming about the WRX since the 2011+ updates. I've actually always loved the WRX since the bugeye was first availible in the US. Anyway I've been on vacation for the last week so my WRX still only has 29 miles on it from me driving it home from the dealer, car was completely unmolested and had actually just got off the truck when I showed up to buy it. Still had all the paper and plastic on everything, I'm actually the only one to drive the car other than the dealers PDI tech.

Ok enough of that, I have a few questions about these cars and would appreciate any help or advise. First one is the inter cooler. When I first started looking at the current WRX's dating back to the 2011 model year, I noticed even new cars but mostly used ones had inter coolers with damaged fins. Almost as if rocks or bugs are prone to flying through the huge air scoop and damaging the fins on the IC.

Do you guys put any type of aftermarket screen or mech behind the scoop to prevent damage to your IC?

Second question, break in. The only other turbo vehicle I've ever owned was an '05 Dodge Ram 4x4 Cummins diesel. I know the owners manual says take it easy for the first 1k miles, but what's the best way to truly break in a turbo gasser? what to avoid in the first 1k? turbo cool down, do I need to do this? how long did you wait to put the hammer down? I haven't even gone past 3k yet in this car. I have driven at least 5-6 other WRX's during the Pre-purchase process so I know what this beast is capable of.

Also are these cars like say a Porsche 911 where they work and run better when you drive them more spiritedly or is it best to baby it mostly and only dip into the power when needed or occasionally? Had an '88 Carrera that was extremely awesome, except the car would run like crap if you babied it, but ran like raped ape if you drove it like you stole it. On another note my wife's 2.5i hates to be driven even slightly aggressive Lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    answer 1 is no, the screen can impede the air flow.

answer 2 is feel free to run the car through its paces thru the RPM range but take it easy and dont go beyone 3/4 throttle for the first 1,000 miles.

question 1: where are you from?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Hey, welcome to the forums!
    Ready, Fire, Aim!
    2013 SWP WRX Hatch
    Austin, Texas

Proud Member #512 of the Stink-Eye Mob

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    answer 1 is no, the screen can impede the air flow.

answer 2 is feel free to run the car through its paces thru the RPM range but take it easy and dont go beyone 3/4 throttle for the first 1,000 miles.

question 1: where are you from?
    Sacramento area, as far as the break in goes I've always heard or read with performance cars it's good to do 3-4 WOT pulls at highway speeds during the first 1k as it helps seat the rings and such?

Welcome! As Torque said, a screen in the hood scoop will impede airflow and cause the intercooler to function less optimally.

According to the manual, break-in procedure is to keep it below 4k rpms for 1000 miles, and no "hard starts or stops." So, again like Torque said, don't go full throttle.

You don't need to worry about turbo cooldown with these cars, are liquid cooled.

As far as whether its best to drive it hard all the time or not, well, that's all a matter of opinion. It will do just fine if you do want to baby it though, it is a much different beast than an '88 porsche. However general advice I've seen is that it is still good to get into it every now and then at least.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Hey will,
    Your 2012 WRB hatch, did you purchase it new? I struggled really hard to find a hatch 2011 and up anywhere in this color. Tons of sedans just no hatches.
    2010 WRX Hatchback
    WRB

Quote Originally Posted by Subaryan View Post
    Hey will,
    Your 2012 WRB hatch, did you purchase it new? I struggled really hard to find a hatch 2011 and up anywhere in this color. Tons of sedans just no hatches.
    PMed so as not to jack OP's thread
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Welcome!
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

ClubWRX.net Vendor Fast Tuning Products's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!

Welcome!

Don't worry about the intercooler. Very little will damage it. No different than air/dust/water/whatever hitting the radiator or the rest of your car. As others said, you don't want to impede air flow over it as that could have more of a negative effect.

Drive it like you'd normally drive. You'll get used to it. Get on it when you want, drive it like a regular guy any other time you want. You should enjoy it
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome and congrats.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

personally, don't beat it.....too much. We have weaker transmisions that don't like getting pushed so much.
    The previous owner and the one before him had the transmission rebuilt and i only have 75k for an 09.

Thanks for all the replies, loving the car for sure. Still only have 47 miles on it as I left for vacation the day after I got it, literally bought it and stuffed it in my garage for a week and just drove again today for 1/2 hour.

First thing and forgive me of its normal (hope it is) but seems like the first two gears are slightly chatty when driving slow around town or parking lots. ok let me rephrase, seems like there is quite a bit of clutch chatter and a hint of throw-out bearing sound just in 1-2 gears? I haven't driven a manual in over a decade so I can't remember if this is normal for this car and or manuals in general? it's not loud, and not something my wife could hear or feel in the pass seat but might if I pointed it out.

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    personally, don't beat it.....too much. We have weaker transmissions that don't like abused so much.
    Fixored.

Don't be afraid to drive it. Enjoy it. Put the pedal down and have some fun. Just don't go slamming gears and doing clutch drop launches and stuff. Treat it right, and it will treat you right.

WRXs are loud. We have 3 differentials all working at all times, especially around turns and in the lower gears. The AWD nature of these things are very loud compared to your average Civic and Toyota.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I was just wondering is the 5/speed in our cars just an off the shelf unit borrowed from the Pre-2012 Impreza line and the Outback, Legacy, Forester? or is the unit unique to the WRX? I know the 6-speed I'm the STI is a purposed built unit made specifically for that model of the WRX.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.