New to the WRX, just picked up base sedan.. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New to the WRX, just picked up base sedan.. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm no transmission expert, so someone chime in if I'm disseminating bad info. I'm pretty sure that, with some small ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm no transmission expert, so someone chime in if I'm disseminating bad info.

I'm pretty sure that, with some small changes for gear ratios and some more durable gears, the 5MT in the WRX is basically the same design dating back to 1990, and used in most all of the cars with EJ engines. (So originally intended to hold up against about 90 hp. ) It's been used in a number of different models.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
    I was just wondering is the 5/speed in our cars just an off the shelf unit borrowed from the Pre-2012 Impreza line and the Outback, Legacy, Forester? or is the unit unique to the WRX? I know the 6-speed I'm the STI is a purposed built unit made specifically for that model of the WRX.
    No, it is specific to the WRX. IIRC, the 2002 WRX transmission may have been similar to the unit in the Impreza RS, but starting in 2003, the WRX received unique gears that were borrowed from the 1990s Impreza WRX and STi:

Subaru Transmission Chart

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I'm no transmission expert, so someone chime in if I'm disseminating bad info.

I'm pretty sure that, with some small changes for gear ratios and some more durable gears, the 5MT in the WRX is basically the same design dating back to 1990, and used in most all of the cars with EJ engines. (So originally intended to hold up against about 90 hp. ) It's been used in a number of different models.
    The case and input/output shaft is the same miserable design that was used in the early Imprezas.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I knew Zach would know more.
    Anecdotally people have always said that it's the same basic design since the early '90's. Good to get into the details.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12