Need Input! Wanna hear from real WRX/STI owners.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need Input! Wanna hear from real WRX/STI owners. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys im looking for some input. Ive been a fan of the sti for a long time and im ...

Lightbulb Need Input! Wanna hear from real WRX/STI owners.

Hi guys im looking for some input. Ive been a fan of the sti for a long time and im attempting to buy one(or WRX depending on insurance) in the next year. I know its a great car however theres a few worries. I just would like to know your overall opinion on the car, and what the expenses are for gas insurance and maintenance. Basically is the car really worth the money, i believe it is but thought id get a real opinion from real owners. Thanks Guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It seems kind of odd to come onto an enthusiast site asking that kind of question.

Expenses are going to depend on you. Your insurance will be different from mine or anyone elses for that matter, so no real help there. Gas usage depends on your ability (or lack thereof) to keep your foot in check. Maintenance is no different from any other car, really. Though I'm more inclined to use higher quality parts and fluids than most car owners, and I like to think it pays off for me. I spend ~$35 for an oil change every 3-4 months, and ~$80 for gas every month. I've had my current WRX for going on 7 years now and don't regret purchasing it, though I do wish I had gone for an STi at times. This is my second WRX.

You'll find that most of the opinions are going to be biased or skewed here, something you have to understand when asking these questions on an enthusiast forum, as I mentioned.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Welcome. The WRX/STi are very unique vehicles. As you im sure you can see by doing some google searches, the community is outstanding, and definitely one of the best car communities out there. Whats so great about this car is nearly an un-ending list. Great in the snow, will also put a gigantic smile on your face while cruising down the highway on a hot sunny day with all the windows open, so rite there is 1 point, the car is exiting and enjoyable in all-seasons. Another factor, the car can fit nearly anything any other sedan can. I've put 2 days worth of camping gear in there to go upstate with my buddies for the weekend (Actually technically 4 days, because I also drove a buddy and his items up.) Not to mention, we ended up sleeping me in the drivers seat and him in the passenger seat both nights. So the vehicle has great cargo room (I have 2011 Sedan, I couldnt imagine how much crap I could cram into a hatch). So thats 2, cargo room is outstanding. Next, the car not only is available in stick, but it is ONLY available in stick, that shows you the car means business even though it can perform your everyday tasks. So thats 3, the car is an old around good vehicle, and is a blast when your alone and want to see some of its abilities. 4, Gas mileage is good considering what this vehicle is capable of. I'm sure I could keep going and keep going. But many will argue you can keep going on and on about downsides to the vehicle. Although that brings up another pro to these vehicles, the aftermarket selection is huge and you can change everything you don't like about the car and make it perfect for yourself.

I drive a 2011 Sedan STi. Personally, I'm young and love the STi, many argue the WRX rides smoother and is a more easy-going DD but I can't chime in because I've never ridden in a WRX. I sometimes wish I went with a WRX, because if you are planning on modifying, the WRX is more of a base rather then getting the STi witch Subaru already did a few of there own things too. But, I do love the DCCD, it is fun to mess around with during snowstorms, but im sure a WRX is just as fun.

Hope to see you end up going with a Subaru. Great cars. And on a side note, if you need a family vehicle (i have no idea on your age because post says nothing about it, but guessing from your username, your towards the younger side haha (nothing wrong with that, im a younger guy too) but the Forester 2.5 XT is pretty damn quick and very spacious. And with some cosmetic mods, in my opinion looks nicer then a WRX or STI.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    Welcome. The WRX/STi are very unique vehicles. As you im sure you can see by doing some google searches, the community is outstanding, and definitely one of the best car communities out there. Whats so great about this car is nearly an un-ending list. Great in the snow, will also put a gigantic smile on your face while cruising down the highway on a hot sunny day with all the windows open, so rite there is 1 point, the car is exiting and enjoyable in all-seasons. Another factor, the car can fit nearly anything any other sedan can. I've put 2 days worth of camping gear in there to go upstate with my buddies for the weekend (Actually technically 4 days, because I also drove a buddy and his items up.) Not to mention, we ended up sleeping me in the drivers seat and him in the passenger seat both nights. So the vehicle has great cargo room (I have 2011 Sedan, I couldnt imagine how much crap I could cram into a hatch). So thats 2, cargo room is outstanding. Next, the car not only is available in stick, but it is ONLY available in stick, that shows you the car means business even though it can perform your everyday tasks. So thats 3, the car is an old around good vehicle, and is a blast when your alone and want to see some of its abilities. 4, Gas mileage is good considering what this vehicle is capable of. I'm sure I could keep going and keep going. But many will argue you can keep going on and on about downsides to the vehicle. Although that brings up another pro to these vehicles, the aftermarket selection is huge and you can change everything you don't like about the car and make it perfect for yourself.

I drive a 2011 Sedan STi. Personally, I'm young and love the STi, many argue the WRX rides smoother and is a more easy-going DD but I can't chime in because I've never ridden in a WRX. I sometimes wish I went with a WRX, because if you are planning on modifying, the WRX is more of a base rather then getting the STi witch Subaru already did a few of there own things too. But, I do love the DCCD, it is fun to mess around with during snowstorms, but im sure a WRX is just as fun.

Hope to see you end up going with a Subaru. Great cars. And on a side note, if you need a family vehicle (i have no idea on your age because post says nothing about it, but guessing from your username, your towards the younger side haha (nothing wrong with that, im a younger guy too) but the Forester 2.5 XT is pretty damn quick and very spacious. And with some cosmetic mods, in my opinion looks nicer then a WRX or STI.
    Thanks for the input! lol i had no other ideas for a username. I know its an enthusiast website which is why i wanted to post here and get a real opinion. Im only 19 and i can possibly afford one, but it will be a big expense (mostly insurance) i just want to make sure its a good choice but from what ive seen and heard its one of the best cars you can buy, a guy down the road has 2 hes about to sell so hopefully i can pick one up if everything goes right haha. But thanks again for your input, Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    It seems kind of odd to come onto an enthusiast site asking that kind of question.

Expenses are going to depend on you. Your insurance will be different from mine or anyone elses for that matter, so no real help there. Gas usage depends on your ability (or lack thereof) to keep your foot in check. Maintenance is no different from any other car, really. Though I'm more inclined to use higher quality parts and fluids than most car owners, and I like to think it pays off for me. I spend ~$35 for an oil change every 3-4 months, and ~$80 for gas every month. I've had my current WRX for going on 7 years now and don't regret purchasing it, though I do wish I had gone for an STi at times. This is my second WRX.

You'll find that most of the opinions are going to be biased or skewed here, something you have to understand when asking these questions on an enthusiast forum, as I mentioned.
    I have to get an oil change every 2 months. And spend at least that much in gas a week =(
    Like the professor said. Depends on the person.

I have a nice new WRX 5-Door (base model), and I am thrilled with the car. It offers more performance for the money than any other car that I can think of, and I've owned a few: Mini Cooper S/JCW, a Golf GTI with the VR6 engine, a BMW 328i coupe, an Acura RSX Type S, and a couple of Miatas including one that was used in SCCA autocross for a couple of seasons. I have what the dealers call a "car problem".

Once I got past the breathtaking power of the WRX, I began to appreciate other things. The handling is better than any other car I have ever owned, without exception. This thing corners on rails. It handles bumpy or undulating surfaces well, has great steering feedback, excellent brakes, and (with the short shifter kit from the factory) a very nice gearchange mechanism. You can take it out into the country on a brisk road trip and get 25mpg for your troubles. Amazing. The basic sport seats offer excellent support, which is important to me because I've had some lower back problems. Everything just works.

I will point out one possible shortcoming, I found the SPT performance exhaust system too loud for my taste, so I will be going back to the OE system.

There is one other thing: some magazines have tested the WRX against the STi and found the WRX to be quicker in 0-60, I believe it was the 2011 model. In a WRX you can reach 60 in second gear, but I believe that it takes another shift for the STi to get there. Somehow that doesn't seem fair considering how much more you need to pay for the STi.

The simplicity of the base WRX is what I like. No nav system, the entertainment is provided mainly by the engine and a basic stereo, it has a good climate control system, and it's reasonably tight. It is a sports car, pure and simple. Get one, you will not be sorry.

Chris
    Last edited by cohland; 09-30-2012 at 10:34 PM.

I Support ClubWRX

Insurance rates, oil change requirements, fuel consumption, and paint quality are all poor.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cohland View Post
    There is one other thing: some magazines have tested the WRX against the STi and found the WRX to be quicker in 0-60, I believe it was the 2011 model. In a WRX you can reach 60 in second gear, but I believe that it takes another shift for the STi to get there. Somehow that doesn't seem fair considering how much more you need to pay for the STi.
    That is a very poor judgement, to be honest. 0-60 times are but one of a myriad things that you can compare cars with, and probably one of the least important ones.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    That is a very poor judgement, to be honest. 0-60 times are but one of a myriad things that you can compare cars with, and probably one of the least important ones.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX - Official Photos and Info - Car and Driver

The 0-60 acceleration time is universally used by the automotive press when describing new car performance. It is objective, it can be replicated, and unlike almost any other performance metric (0-100, 100-0, 60-0, et cetera) most of us can go out and exercise good old 0-60 every day on public roads, legally.

I'm not saying it's perfect, and I'm not saying that it's complete. But it IS universal and for that reason must be given some credence.

Chris
    Last edited by cohland; 10-01-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Well i just found a silver WRX with sti exhaust 75000 miles for about 17K, i think a wrx would be a better choice just cuz of financials but if that stat is true about the 0-60 thats just a plus!

I Support ClubWRX

The measurements are for late model cars where the WRX models had 265HP. Earlier WRX cars had less.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ok, if you want great 0-60 times, there are cars out there that can do the same if not better for cheaper.
    Older WRX/STi's are not THAT spectacular in a straight line. Newer ones are better but still not... WOW.

Plus being 19 and "can possibly afford one". Look elsewhere. Not a bash post but some words of advice. Trust me.

I'm on my third WRX since 2009. Sometimes I wished I had the STI, especially for the 6spd trans. Subarus are not just cars, but literally a lifestyle. No regrets here.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cohland View Post
    I'm not saying it's perfect, and I'm not saying that it's complete. But it IS universal and for that reason must be given some credence.
    I don't give it credence. Both the WRX and the STI get a nice 0-60 time due to their AWD holeshot, which is achieved by flogging the drivetrain in an unwise fashion by the test driver. What people exercise on public roads, every day, is more like 5-60, or 15-70, as you hustle down an onramp to the highway. Though it has a 0-60 in "only" the high 5.X second range, the current Camry V6 may give a stock WRX a surprise under those real world circumstances.

I find the quarter mile trap speed to be a much more realistic indicator of how a car will do in real life.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I don't give it credence. Both the WRX and the STI get a nice 0-60 time due to their AWD holeshot, which is achieved by flogging the drivetrain in an unwise fashion by the test driver. What people exercise on public roads, every day, is more like 5-60, or 15-70, as you hustle down an onramp to the highway. Though it has a 0-60 in "only" the high 5.X second range, the current Camry V6 may give a stock WRX a surprise under those real world circumstances.

I find the quarter mile trap speed to be a much more realistic indicator of how a car will do in real life.
    All good points, especially the mention of 5-60 or 15-70. We see a lot more of that than 0-60, I admit.

Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.