Need Input! Wanna hear from real WRX/STI owners. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need Input! Wanna hear from real WRX/STI owners. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Personally, while certainly the concept of being able to launch to 60 in less than 5 seconds is appealing to ...

Personally, while certainly the concept of being able to launch to 60 in less than 5 seconds is appealing to the little kid in me, I've always found that no numbers can adequately paint the picture of a car as well as a simple test drive will.

7 years ago when I was looking for a new car, the Cobalt SS/SC had very good numbers in all respects, and certainly blew my eventual pick the RSX-S out of the water in almost all categories. It also certainly didn't feel like it did.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Need Input! Wanna hear from real WRX/STI owners.

Absolutely. If you look around in the press, the current Subaru most often described as "fun to drive" is a car that has a 7 second 0-60.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cohland View Post
    Once I got past the breathtaking power of the WRX, I began to appreciate other things. The handling is better than any other car I have ever owned, without exception. This thing corners on rails. It handles bumpy or undulating surfaces well, has great steering feedback, excellent brakes, and (with the short shifter kit from the factory) a very nice gearchange mechanism. You can take it out into the country on a brisk road trip and get 25mpg for your troubles. Amazing. The basic sport seats offer excellent support, which is important to me because I've had some lower back problems. Everything just works.

I will point out one possible shortcoming, I found the SPT performance exhaust system too loud for my taste, so I will be going back to the OE system.

There is one other thing: some magazines have tested the WRX against the STi and found the WRX to be quicker in 0-60, I believe it was the 2011 model. In a WRX you can reach 60 in second gear, but I believe that it takes another shift for the STi to get there. Somehow that doesn't seem fair considering how much more you need to pay for the STi.

The simplicity of the base WRX is what I like. No nav system, the entertainment is provided mainly by the engine and a basic stereo, it has a good climate control system, and it's reasonably tight. It is a sports car, pure and simple. Get one, you will not be sorry.

Chris
    I thought this was kind of funny. The car is hardly breath taking power. its ok but its nothing to write home about. The car is ok if you can get past a few things..the hill assist is just god awful and annoying. the price of the car is a bit to much for what you get. I mean really they couldnt even put a LSD in the rear. Its built very cheaply as well. its a fun car if you NEED AWD but if you dont then there are plenty others out there with same price that will give you a bigger smile. But most people here know i am not a fan of the car and dont really enjoy my 12 WRX much.

Quote Originally Posted by Doobis View Post
    I thought this was kind of funny. The car is hardly breath taking power. its ok but its nothing to write home about. The car is ok if you can get past a few things..the hill assist is just god awful and annoying. the price of the car is a bit to much for what you get. I mean really they couldnt even put a LSD in the rear. Its built very cheaply as well. its a fun car if you NEED AWD but if you dont then there are plenty others out there with same price that will give you a bigger smile. But most people here know i am not a fan of the car and dont really enjoy my 12 WRX much.
    Would you like to know what I think is funny? Now, this is just my opinion, mind you.

I think that sneering, mis-spelled, mis-punctuated posts that deride the opinions of others are funny, in a lame sort of way.

Now, Doobis, I know that this message written in English may be hard for you to understand, but get out a dictionary and work at it, I'm sure that given time, you can figure it out.

Khristo
    Last edited by cohland; 10-26-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Lets keep this on topic my friends. Doobis was just giving his opinion (per the OP's request) and honestly, his post wasn't that bad. We have seen much much worse

Thanks for your cooperation.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The power of a stock turbo WRX is anything but breathtaking.. it's a decently fun to drive grocery getter with AWD, but that's about it.

zax

Need Input! Wanna hear from real WRX/STI owners.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    The power of a stock turbo WRX is anything but breathtaking.. it's a decently fun to drive grocery getter with AWD, but that's about it.
    This is highly subjective, Robin. If you compared my stock 2003 to my previous car, a 1995 Mazda 626, it certainly was breathtaking. Comparing it to your ridiculous 500whp build is a little different. Hell, going back to a stock 2L even now with 300whp feels slow.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    This is highly subjective, Robin.

True.. when I first bought a WRX in 2002 it felt pretty dang quick, but I knew it wasn't a powerful car by any means. Now driving a stock WRX (or any other "normal" sedan) the biggest thing I notice right off the bat is that the handling feels so soft and unpredictable, almost to the point that it feels unsafe to me. People say stock WRX feels like it's on rails.. to me it feels more like driving a boat, lol.

..the hill assist is just god awful and annoying. the price of the car is a bit to much for what you get. I mean really they couldnt even put a LSD in the rear. Its built very cheaply as well.
    A few considerations on your fine opionions:
    - The STI feels better built than a WRX. The interior is still cheap, but the overall mechanical feel is much stronger. That is one of the myriad of slight changes on the STI that justifies the price difference. I will agree that the WRX feels a bit light/cheap though still a fine car.
    - The hill assist can be great or terrible depending on the sensitivity (it seems to vary from car to car) and the driving style of the driver.

To the OP - Overall as others have stated, a test drive or two is needed to determine if it is the right car. You mentioned several items in your first post that suggests that money is a main issue, so even with a test drive you have to determine if you must have a slightly more expensive car than a normal mid-sized car that costs $15-20k new. I've had 3 WRX's and the current gen STI is my personal favorite, even considering the money difference from the WRX, but its always going to come down to personal opinion.
    2012 PBP Limited STI
    2002 Aspen White WRX Wagon, Stage 1

I love my 09 WRX. IDK about breathtaking but its got enough power for my DD and then some...and with an up pipe and a tune it will be about the same HP as an STI. The only thing I wish it had in comparison to the STI is a 6 speed. The suspension doesn't bother me. Other wise I'm happy with the WRX and don't ever find myself wishing I had the STI. Haven't owned it too long but the only complaint I'd say I have over all is the stereo........but I care more about how it feels when I drive it than what I'm listening too.
    Stink-Eye Mob #270
    Enjoy your driving.

I have an 07 STI. The only gripes I have with it is the road noise and slight rattles that it has. The MPG could be better for a 4cly turbo but considering it has AWD that does make a dent in the MPG. Overall I get about 24MPG. The paint is cheap and not very durable. My Ins is $1,300 a year, $124 a month with liability on another car ( Im 35 ) with a clean record and a few deductions on my policy ( Snapshot, multi car discount, paperless billing). I really like the car a lot its my first Subaru and its a blast to drive. I laugh at all the 4X4 SUV's, Trucks during the winter time. With snow tires its unstoppable in the winter months and you need that up here in Maine. I plan on keeping this car for awhile and when I do trade it in it will be for another STI
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cohland View Post
    Would you like to know what I think is funny? Now, this is just my opinion, mind you.

I think that sneering, mis-spelled, mis-punctuated posts that deride the opinions of others are funny, in a lame sort of way.

Now, Doobis, I know that this message written in English may be hard for you to understand, but get out a dictionary and work at it, I'm sure that given time, you can figure it out.

Khristo
    Awwww are you mad that you never drove anything with any power what so ever to think that this car has ultimate power. Plus the fact you seem to be a fan boy and the only thing you can come back at me with is grammar police. LOL. Go cry in a corner and what i said was truthful and no fluff about this car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Awwww are you mad that you never drove anything with any power what so ever to think that this car has ultimate power. Plus the fact you seem to be a fan boy and the only thing you can come back at me with is grammar police. LOL. Go cry in a corner and what i said was truthful and no fluff about this car.
    One timeout seems to not have taught you a lesson. I am not saying that it was entirely your fault. But you bumped a month old thread, clearly looking to instigate people.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Banned
    obviously then this area doesnt get alot of activity. Because it was still on the first page when i replied to it so i never even looked at the date. So i take it i am not allowed to express my feelings on the car cause it will cause others to get upset? Sounds like that really helps people get an over all feeling on the car.

obviously then this area doesnt get alot of activity. Because it was still on the first page when i replied to it so i never even looked at the date. So i take it i am not allowed to express my feelings on the car cause it will cause others to get upset? Sounds like that really helps people get an over all feeling on the car.

Your post (#27) had nothing to do with any car, it was a flat out personal attack against another forum member, which is not allowed here.. plain and simple.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast