DMV and You
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on DMV and You within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So i work second shift and im in the Dmv, and while im waiting i was curious what other users ...

DMV and You

So i work second shift and im in the Dmv, and while im waiting i was curious what other users have experienced and the average wait times. Here in birmingham your looking at a 6 hour wait if you dont come very early. I came before they opened and im expecting a two hour wait in the very best of situations. I searched and didnt see another thresd with this topic, so thiught id start one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have waited eons at the DMV. There is no steadfast rule as to which days or which hours the wait times are less.

But in might be a good idea to get there as early as possible & be first in line. I once waited outside for an hour before they opened & there were already 6 people ahead of me.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

i've waited for 4 hours, and as little as 10 minutes.

i found that the smaller dmv is usually faster.

I Support ClubWRX
    We do things by mail/online as much as we can, so it's fairly rare for me to have to deal with it at all. For my driver's license renewal, I made an appointment, and was in and out in less than an hour.

I do remember multi-hour waits, 15 years ago.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX

DMV and You

6 freakin hours?! Im surprised you dont charge people rent lol
    '12 STi stage 2

Origin GT = impretzel
    Bf4

-JJ

I Support ClubWRX
    My local DMV has always been a 10-15 minute wait tops. They've usually got at least 7-8 windows open, and they're actually quite helpful and friendly. As Ray said, though, I usually do most of that stuff online, so I've only ever been to one maybe 4 times in my entire life.

Oregon vehicle license tags are good for 3 years, and are renewed online. The only things you really need to go in for are new vehicle registrations and whenever your license expires (mine is good until 2020 though, lol).
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Depends on where you go here. There are some that you'll be at for eons, but there's a few that I've been at where no matter what the wait is 15-20mins tops.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Re: DMV and You

Well before my company transfered me to bham, i was in littlerock arkansas. The wait there was about 5 minutes almost all hours of operation, and tags only cost me about 20 bucks for the year. Not suprisingly my insurence dropped when i moved here. Little rock was the #1 murder capital, bham is something like the 6th/8th.

In Louisiana, I waited two days.... yep two, walked in as they unlocked the doors on day one and left when they informed us the computers were down 6 hours later, came back next day and still had a 6 hour wait. That was worst case scenario, from a suburb of New Orleans (Metairie), and needed a current license to start a job. Most of the time it was over pretty quick, half our to an hour, except when I had an old plate issue pop up from a car I donated to charity.

In Illinois, I was always able to get my stuff done inside an hour.

In Oklahoma, it is odd to me. The DMV broke off titles, registration and license renewals to private companies so you only need to see a DMV for a new license or reinstatement from a revoked/suspension (I think) everything else is no different than going to a bank, you can knock it out from just about anywhere during a lunch break with time to still get food.
    Not as many parts left over this time... what am I missing?

Man, 3 yr registrations? I would love to see that in CA. Lol. Ours are yearly and always around $200-300. Even my 96 civic is still $108/yr.
    -2012 DGM WRX
    From the 559

Quote Originally Posted by Mikegt92 View Post
    So i work second shift and im in the Dmv, and while im waiting i was curious what other users have experienced and the average wait times. Here in birmingham your looking at a 6 hour wait if you dont come very early. I came before they opened and im expecting a two hour wait in the very best of situations. I searched and didnt see another thresd with this topic, so thiught id start one.
    Longest I ever waited was probably 3-4 hours to register or renew a car. My worst experience was waiting in line to get my learners permit and this was when back before the DMV DID NOT have appointments and number tickets. After waiting hours in line, I finally got to the counter near closing time. The lady asks for my drivers ed completion certificate, but l had forgotten it at home. Therefore, I had no choice but to come back the next day and wait in a long line again. Luckily now the dmv has a clerk that checks all your documents before assigning you a number.

End of the month - could be an hour maybe more. If you plan and don't go at the end of the month ~ 15mins. Last time I went it was like 5mins - I walked right up to the counter, no wait.

I Support ClubWRX
    One window - walk in, do my business, walk out.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    One window - walk in, do my business, walk out.
    That's what I'm talking about, which bordello is this?

Philly "drivers license centers" are notorious for being long wait time hells.

Oddly enough, I went early on a day off...and was in and out in about 10 minutes. Before that, it had taken me as long as 3 or 4 hours. This was before smartphones too.

I've since moved back to NJ and have to get all my stuff transferred back...can't wait to see how long this is going to take now...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    NJ is like Alcatraz - who goes back?

Sorry 'bout that.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast