best motor oil and tranny fluid help!

This is a discussion on best motor oil and tranny fluid help! within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; im going to do my motor and tranny and rear diff oil change whats the best of the best for ...

best motor oil and tranny fluid help!

im going to do my motor and tranny and rear diff oil change whats the best of the best for both?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no such thing.

There are probably dozens of motor oils that will yield the same measurable, reproducible, reliable results. Have a look at used oil analyses here and on Bob is the Oil Guy. Search for "UOA WRX" or UOA Subaru" for example etc.

There is are several oil and gear oil threads; I will see if I can provide some links. Hold on.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    ??What oil should I use??
    and
    Oil TSB for 2006+ Subarus
    among many others for motor oil.

For gear oil
    >>Tranny Fluid Info and Experimenting Thread<< (Amsoil, Redline, USC, etc.)

EDIT: To be thorough, what I happen to use in my car does not matter since it's one of the dozens of options. However here it is: for the motor, any 0W-40 or 5W-40 available locally based solely on price and availability (this means no Redline, no Amsoil, no RP since they fail at one, the other, or both). Right now it's got Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 in it but I went shopping and found M1 TurboDiesel Truck/SUV 5W-40 on sale, so whenever I talk myself into changing oil (not as fun as it used to be) I'll put that in. The gearbox has regular Valvoline 75W-90. I try to keep everything as close to $30 as possible because I like money and plenty of options work at that price range, I see no need to go high.

It's hard to go wrong on motor oil. Even the "tupperware party" style brands that sell by having a user/dealer network, USING CAPITAL LETTERS and saying they're first at something or other actually do work (not in my opinion, as that's useless; according to UOA data from users -- that's all that matters). Still, I don't have the time or $ for boutique stuff or ordering so I just go to a mega-store and buy whatever's on sale. Since your motor is an 05 it's out of warranty so you don't have to worry too much about SOA's specifications; however for a newer car check out that link with the TSB fiasco.

Gear oil I'm less likely to shop around, because there is feel involved and both my old dealer and I got OK results with regular Valvoline. People use synths and mixes, see the gear oil thread, and maybe there's something to be gained there, but I just buy Valvoline off the shelf every 30K and that's that.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 09-14-2012 at 01:03 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I have used Castrol Edge Titanium 5W-30 and Valvoline Synthetic 75W-90 for three years with great performance and no issues. Oil is truly the lifeblood of your engine - I change it every 3 months. Don't forget about the oil filter - use only the Subaru OEM blue filters with crush gasket every time. Turbocharged engines are hard on the oil, so I will not cheap out or run it a long time.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Motul is very good and I've used it personally.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

THANKS I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE IM USING THE BEST FOR MY CAR.

Super S in my transmission now. Shifting is smooth like buttah, night and day. Highly recommended.

Only downside is I couldn't get it locally and had to get a good reaming ordering online.

Motor oil, I've been using M1 5w-30. I've recently been reading how this is not the ideal oil for our car. I am looking for an alternative but not in a hurry as I rarely drive my car hard.
    J
    2004 WRX PSM Wagon
    Mesh hood scoop and grille

2005 Kawasaki Ti 636

I Support ClubWRX
    Plenty of information here ->- Bob is the Oil Guy