Time for another mod.

This is a discussion on Time for another mod. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So, I got my car, knowing I would immediately want to change many things about it. (not because they were ...

Cool Time for another mod.

So, I got my car, knowing I would immediately want to change many things about it. (not because they were bad, but because they could be made better and, hell it is somewhat a tuner car...) I joined this forum probably a week before I got my car. After a few hours/days of browsing, I accepted the fact that many knowledgable members suggest I wait until I have some miles under my belt in the vehicle and then decide what needs changing first. So, I did, at 20k miles decided i needed a little more tone in the exhaust and the Nameless Muffler Delete was absolutely rite for me at only $300. Now, im at 25k, and am beginning to completely accept the fact that the factory tune is complete trash. I'm debating on ordering an AccessPort. Many people suggest a Pro-tune as it is cheaper and more precise, BUT my plan is to flash the stage 1 COBB OTS tune (on Oct 10th, my birthday) then a few days later (with birthday money) order a DP and flash stage 2. Then as I do more extensive modding I would then go for a precise Pro-tune from a reputable shop.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Modding!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

as you know Im new and I love my AP. It tells you a lot about your car that's damn good to know, plus if you surpass the AP and go OpenSource, you can always sell it for 450 bucks (seems to be the going rate for used APs).

Do you know what tuning shop you eventually want to use?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Do you know what tuning shop you eventually want to use?
    Well, I internship at Radical Motorsports in Jersey. We currently have no dyno, but we just got in a 600hp Evo and sent it out to DG motorsports in long island, I would look into them, or maybe Innovative (If thats the one in buffalo NY). I live in Bergen County, North NJ so really anywhere within 2-3 hours I'd be willing to travel to.

Are they going to want you to get an accessport to do their tuning? From what I understand, some places prefer to use the AP as their tuning tool. If that's the case then you'd have to get one anyways.
    - Will

Okay, so pretty much, My direction and route is one of the best to be taken? Do the AP, then figure out what i need for a Protune there after

Well, where I was going with my line of questioning was this:

If the tuner you're going to use is going to require that you get an AP anyways, might as well get it now.

If not, then you could consider the cheaper alternatives, like getting a Tactrix cable and going opensource or an etune.
    - Will

well i like the idea that i can immediate flash stage 1 stock with the cobb AP, then as soon as i get the needed mods, i can immediatly flash stage 2. I like the how the AP has all the maps.

Money really isn't much of a factor. Unless its like 2 grand lol. $600 is not much for a piece of tuning equipment for a car. and chances are ill buy used from someone in the area

Talk to your tuner. Only he will know.

/thread
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

Quote Originally Posted by scarmack View Post
    Talk to your tuner. Only he will know.

/thread
    I have no tuner as of rite now, which is why I'm posting here trying to find out which route to take, and maybe which tuner to go see.

I Support ClubWRX
    As mentioned above, just go ahead and get the AP and if your tuner suggests that you don't need it or you decide to go another route, you can sell it and recoup a bunch of your money. At least this way you can immediately get rid of the crappy factory tune while you're deciding what you want to do next. I have had APs for all of my Subarus and found it to be a good investment since I'm less than qualified at doing much engine work myself.
    2004 WRB WRX Cobb Stage II - Sold...2004 PSM STi Cobb Stage II - Sold...2011 WRB WRX Torqued Performance Stage I - Daily Driven
    My current average MPG