WRX in a Hurricane?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX in a Hurricane? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; We live in the Tampa area and are expecting some impact from Tropical Storm Isaac (soon to be Hurricane Isaac). ...

WRX in a Hurricane?

We live in the Tampa area and are expecting some impact from Tropical Storm Isaac (soon to be Hurricane Isaac). Probably will be lots of rain, wind, debris in the roadway and maybe some flooding. I'm planning to take my '12 WRX 4dr to work on Monday (probably in the 'thick of it' and 30 mile commute) and wondered if you all have had experience driving in this kind of weather. AWD will help, but is the car's light weight a problem in the wind? I'm worried about the air intakes hitting some deep puddles, will avoid as I can. Any comment are appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dfeeney View Post
    Probably will be lots of rain, wind, debris in the roadway and maybe some flooding. I'm planning to take my '12 WRX 4dr to work on Monday (probably in the 'thick of it' and 30 mile commute) Any comment are appreciated.
    Seriously? If it is that bad stay home. Does not matter what you drive (short of an Abrams tank). Subaru AWD is far from invincible.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd advise you to stay home if it is predicted to be bad. Remember,it is not the wind that is the problem ,its what the wind brings with it that can harm you.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    The biggest threat is high water.

Waiting for the captain of the SS Impreza to chime in here. You know who you are.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Does not matter what you drive (short of an Abrams tank).

An Abrams submerged is a death trap.. you'd be better off in a Subaru, at least it would float for a short time letting you get oriented and make an escape plan.

i agree with the above...if the weather is that bad, stay home. Or if its not bad when leaving, go to work and if it starts to get real bad, leave quickly

If your boss/work is willing to risk your safety (more than the job already entails) maybe its time to find new employment
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    An Abrams submerged is a death trap.. you'd be better off in a Subaru, at least it would float for a short time letting you get oriented and make an escape plan.
    Makes sense as the Abrams was designed to combat Soviet tanks in Central / Eastern Europe. Hurricanes are something of a rarity there.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I watched a documentary of the tanks entering Baghdad in the last Iraq war.. the only casualty was from a tank operator who fell asleep and ran off the side of a bridge into the river. Apparently the things sinks like a stone filling with water and is next to impossible to get out of.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I watched a documentary of the tanks entering Baghdad in the last Iraq war.. the only casualty was from a tank operator who fell asleep and ran off the side of a bridge into the river. Apparently the things sinks like a stone filling with water and is next to impossible to get out of.
    Ok, we're not talking about the apocalypse here. Just experience driving WRX in rough weather (rain, wind, etc). Would it fair better than, say, an Accord or other sedan? Any experiences in this situation? Thanks!

I think "debris on the roadway" was the real kicker. Rain and wind will affect every car the same, unless you have wipers crafted from the hand of god that move at incredible speeds. Personally, I would not venture out if the word hurricane was mentioned simply because most people suck at driving and debris on the road will probably result in damage to your car whether it be from the object or other people dodging the object and hitting you instead.

the awd will fair better if traction is of concern, but remember that you are on summer performance tires, or at best all season performance tires (but since you live in florida, you probably only have summers), so you have a higher chance of hydroplaning. I've driven through some bad rain storms (nothing compared to a hurricane) and it wasn't all peachy keen (yes i did...deal). Winds throwing crap at your car or onto the road are of serious concern. Flooded out roads are not good for a car (Drews, 2009). It is your car, your life, do as you please, but you asked our advice on driving in seriously bad weather, and we have provided.

I would much rather be driving through a blizzard with my winters on than a hurricane ever /bc rallycarbrah
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Banned
    Its not worth it, just call in sick until the storm passes and keep your car in the garage. You'll thank me later.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    the awd will fair better if traction is of concern, but remember that you are on summer performance tires, or at best all season performance tires (but since you live in florida, you probably only have summers), so you have a higher chance of hydroplaning. I've driven through some bad rain storms (nothing compared to a hurricane) and it wasn't all peachy keen (yes i did...deal).
    +1. The stock summer tires are terrible in the ran. I have experienced aquaplaning on many occasions & this was in water that wasn't even that deep.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ive driven in some pretty bad storms here. not a lot of wind but very very heavy rain. i think your experience will be based on car as well as driver. if youre trying to go 60 MPH and you cant see out of your windshield, that's a problem lol

as sasquash said, AWD doesnt make you invincible. my friend totaled his 08 impreza going on an on ramp in the rain a lot faster than he should have.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Please this storm is gonna be weeeeeeeeeeeak. Just drive cautiously.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast