Who has a lift in their garage? I want one...and need feedback - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Who has a lift in their garage? I want one...and need feedback within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; That's nice. Makes me want one even more....

That's nice. Makes me want one even more.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Finally clearanced the shelves

Here are some pics at full height.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02556.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	107527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02557.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	107528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02558.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	107529
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Here are some pics at full height.
    How high is your garage ceiling?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    110" (9' 2")

My car rides at stock height so it is around 56" from the ground to the roof.

The lift there is set at 45" tall, so 56+45=101" to the roof of my car meaning I have a 9" gap to the ceiling.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Super Shweet!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

This might seem like a noob question, but bear with me if you can:

I can see that height being very handy working on a motorcycle (it puts the motor/drain/etc right at eye level). Do you think this height is really handy for working on cars vs just getting higher ramps? Obviously it's more useful and easier to jack the car up, but I found that the non-full height lifts were more annoying for me to work under as I couldn't really walk under it at all, and even on the rolling seat I can't really get the leverage needed for some bolts (exhaust mostly, but still) - and my back ended up hurting like a SOB. Maybe I just prefer the creeper because I'm old? I just wanted your take on it.

This question aside, it does look great and is a very neat install!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    This might seem like a noob question, but bear with me if you can:

I can see that height being very handy working on a motorcycle (it puts the motor/drain/etc right at eye level). Do you think this height is really handy for working on cars vs just getting higher ramps? Obviously it's more useful and easier to jack the car up, but I found that the non-full height lifts were more annoying for me to work under as I couldn't really walk under it at all, and even on the rolling seat I can't really get the leverage needed for some bolts (exhaust mostly, but still) - and my back ended up hurting like a SOB. Maybe I just prefer the creeper because I'm old? I just wanted your take on it.

This question aside, it does look great and is a very neat install!
    After I got it up that high, I rolled underneath it on the seat and its perfect height for me at the 45" level. But I'm 5'7" although most my height is in my torso. I could see how anyone over 6' and especially people over 6'3" might find it an awkward height. There are 3" adapters (shipped with the unit) that raise it to 48", which requires jacking this car up to use them, but those would help for taller people. I have seen over on the garagejournal forum where people have made adapters (really easy to do) to add extra height capability (if their ceiling will allow) to space it up to 51".

I hate rolling around on a creeper even to do oil changes, and this thing is gonna make oil changes a breeze. I also hated trying to jack the front of this car up as there really isn't a great spot for a floor jack. The exhaust is gonna take no time to swap out now at this height.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX

Update:

So I have had this lift a few months now and I replaced my clutch about a while back and ended up using the 3" pad spacers they give you with the lift to bring my car just over 48" off the ground. The lift worked awesome and it was soo nice to have it. Overall I am satisfied with the product. Most days I hardly know it is in my garage.

Some notes/thoughts:

* Before putting a car on the lift; since you disconnect the hyd lines every time, you should run the lift half way up and open the air bleeders and bleed the air out to insure that the cylinders lift completely evenly. Its quick (under a min) and makes a big difference.

* After reading all the people (like 3 reviews posted on several forums) complaining about the wedge style anchors loosening, I have been a head case. After every trip up onto the lift I check and re-torque the mounting bolts. So far they have been fine. I swear I'm developing mid life OCD.

* The hyd quick couplers they give you have a tendency to leak (the female ones at least), but if you call them they will send you as many as you need to replace any leaky ones. I know why they developed these quick couplers, (I use the flush face alternative at work all the time and they are hard to actuate and are expensive and bulky) they are easy to use, I think perhaps their QA process or MFG process needs to get a little better. I took a leaky one apart and found no smoking gun as to why it leaked, so my thought would be the o-ring boss or taper on the needle are out of spec.

* I wish they would have made the reservoir hold 1 more quart of fluid and included a sight glass for full when the lift is raised and

lowered. I hate mopping up ATF, but simple green is awesome and makes short work of it I have found.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123