Rear-ended in my 2012 WRX Today.... - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rear-ended in my 2012 WRX Today.... within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by T0rque jeez man why even go there? Accidents are accidents, thats why you cover your ass. Suing ...

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    jeez man why even go there? Accidents are accidents, thats why you cover your ass. Suing people for accidents has done nothing but include in the decline of america.
    This was a collision, not an accident. An accident is getting hit with a meteor or some other unforseeable act of God. This was totally preventable if the at-fault driver had been paying attention, which is what you are supposed to be doing when you drive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Deciphe View Post
    What insurance companies are involved? You wouldn't be driving a salvaged car unless you decided to retain salvage if it goes that far

His insurance is Farmer's, though since he has such little coverage I filed a claim under mine which is Traveler's.

so called "accidents" can be avoided with forethought and awareness.

It appears this jackass had neither, nor a care in the world for the people who's lives he just heavily influenced.

He's a scumbag and should be shot at dawn. However, that isn't the way we do things in this country (sadly) and he'll likely get away with it unscathed. He'll be ghetto ridin while textin his bro's in no time flat.

And people wonder why I'm usually ticked off.. its because this **** goes on everyday and no one has the nerve to fix it or hold the flunky's responsible. Sueing him would get you nowhere since he's obviously a dirtbag and has nothing to begin with. At least he wasn't illegal and had some semblance of insurance even though too little.

It pays to have your uninsured motorist coverage cranked up as far as they'll let you. There's no point in letting some dirtball make that much damage in your life. Because you legally cant take his for it, you may as well monatarilly cover your ass.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Holy crap, glad to see you're ok.. I would total that.
    Drive Hard, Stay Driven..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    so called "accidents" can be avoided with forethought and awareness.

It appears this jackass had neither, nor a care in the world for the people who's lives he just heavily influenced.

He's a scumbag and should be shot at dawn. However, that isn't the way we do things in this country (sadly) and he'll likely get away with it unscathed. He'll be ghetto ridin while textin his bro's in no time flat.

And people wonder why I'm usually ticked off.. its because this **** goes on everyday and no one has the nerve to fix it or hold the flunky's responsible. Sueing him would get you nowhere since he's obviously a dirtbag and has nothing to begin with. At least he wasn't illegal and had some semblance of insurance even though too little.

It pays to have your uninsured motorist coverage cranked up as far as they'll let you. There's no point in letting some dirtball make that much damage in your life. Because you legally cant take his for it, you may as well monatarilly cover your ass.
    I'll have to admit I'm not a fan of corporal punishment for property damage - but when you throw in the complete disregard for other people's safety, a solid fine and significant jail time should be in order.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I'll have to admit I'm not a fan of corporal punishment for property damage - but when you throw in the complete disregard for other people's safety, a solid fine and significant jail time should be in order.
    agree'd100% Sir. I'm mouthy about it and usually a little extreme but what if this guy hit a car load full of kids? What if there were injuries? Even though the rear of that car did exactly what it was supposed to (the rear window wasn't broken!!) if someone had been in the rear seat it might have been disastrous.. and that dirtball had the audacity to whine about being held up.

If he wasn't texting and speeding (the forethought I mentioned earlier) he'd gotten to his destination on time and not inconvenienced or impacted anyone. This is the greater problem in our society, no one thinks for anyone but themselves and this behavior is completely accepted if not propagated and rewarded. Its despicable how much Americans just dont give a crap about anyone but themselves if they even give a crap about themselves. Thinking outside one's own head goes a long way in keeping life's daily mess run a little smoother.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    agree'd100% Sir. I'm mouthy about it and usually a little extreme but what if this guy hit a car load full of kids? What if there were injuries? Even though the rear of that car did exactly what it was supposed to (the rear window wasn't broken!!) if someone had been in the rear seat it might have been disastrous.. and that dirtball had the audacity to whine about being held up.

If he wasn't texting and speeding (the forethought I mentioned earlier) he'd gotten to his destination on time and not inconvenienced or impacted anyone. This is the greater problem in our society, no one thinks for anyone but themselves and this behavior is completely accepted if not propagated and rewarded. Its despicable how much Americans just dont give a crap about anyone but themselves if they even give a crap about themselves. Thinking outside one's own head goes a long way in keeping life's daily mess run a little smoother.

Yeah, very little distinction between this guy and a chronic drunk driver. Pull his privilege to drive at the very least.

I Support ClubWRX

Yeah, very little distinction between this guy and a chronic drunk driver. Pull his privilege to drive at the very least.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by junior532 View Post
    Just thought I'd give an update to anyone interested, sorry it's taken so long for me to reply, works been busy.

The day after the accident I called HIS insurance (the guy who hit me) and filed a claim under his policy--since he admitted fault, the witnesses said he was at fault, and the cop wrote him a ticket. There was no question as to who was liable, he was. The pickup my car was pushed into also called and filed a claim on his policy as well. His insurance, Farmers, tried to get ahold of him for 12 days. They claimed until they talked to their insured (The guy who hit me) they wouldn't declare liability regardless of the accident/witness report.

So essentially for 2 weeks I paid for a rental car out of pocket. Finally on Monday of this week they called and said it's been so long, they're going off the accident report/witness accounts and are accepting liability. Perfect, right? So they send an appraiser out to give me an estimate on my car this Wednesday, and he claims my car as totaled (said there was 15k in repairs, and it would sell for salvage for 10k). THis is what I was pretty much hoping for... I don't want to drive my 2012 WRX around with $15,000 in repairs on it--it'd never be the same.

That afternoon, though, his insurance calls me back and says he doesn't have enough coverage to pay for my damages and the trucks damages (the truck's frame was bent and was declared total as well). I looked at the Kansas state minimum personal property liability insurance, and it's a measly $10,000. His insurance couldn't tell me exactly what coverage he had, but they hinted it was around the minimum. Since he didn't have enough insurance to pay either of our claims, they said to file a claim with my insurance.

So I filed a claim with my insurance, and they sent their appraiser out today, who said there was only $9500 which is not enough to total it, but they had me take it to a body shop to take a closer look at the quarter panels damage and frame. The body shop said they can't look at it until Tuesday, so I'm in a holding pattern here again.

The whole thing is frustrating--I'm paying the consequences for sitting at a red light. I had no fault at all, but bear the burden of his irresponsibility. Sorry for the wall of text, it's just been a long process, and the end isn't in sight yet!

I have no patience for this. I'd be beating down doors and making phone calls until I got answers.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I know exactly what you're going through. Here's my 2007 with 4000 miles on it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02168.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	107264

I was stopped on the highway, luckily in neutral, and I was rear ended by a guy with no insurance. It ended up being only $3000 worth of damage. After getting it fixed I kept having to take the car back to the shop. Bad paint, bad fitment, welds breaking, welds rusting. I took it back 5 times in 2 years. It took 3 years to get my deductible back, and 4 years to be paid for diminished value.

All the headache led me to trading it in for a 2011 sedan. The accident took $1000 off of the value of the car, but the diminished value payment was $1500, so I guess I made out on that. I'll admit that I like my 2011 better than the 2007, but if it wasn't for the accident I'd still have the 2007.

Good luck.
    2011 DGM sedan
    1995 Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Deciphe View Post
    That sure looks like more then 2-30 I'm thinking around 4-50 mph.
    I second this. I was rammed from the side in one of my older cars and it took the entire rear end off my car and spun me around 180 and that vehicle was doing about 40 mph.
    '02 WRX Bugeye; Midnight Blue / Black Pearl

UPDATE to all, as promised.

Sorry for the delay, works been busy and I've unfortunately had to car shop for something other than a WRX.

My insurance FINALLY declared it totaled, and I just received my reimbursement check last week. In total it took just over 5 weeks for the whole process, which turned out to be quite a headache.

In the end, I was shorted ~$1000, part of it was my deductible ($500) (which in theory I should get back once they sue him, though he has no money), and a larger portion was I got stiffed on taxes.

I called my Subaru dealer in Colorado to see if I could get my hands on another 2012 WRX, unfortunately all baseline WRX models within 250 miles of his dealer network were sold/inventory was gone. They were taking orders for 2013 in 2 weeks (which would've been this week), but it would take 12 weeks from the time of order to get it, and I simply needed a car sooner.

In the end I had to settle and downgrade to a VW GTI, which feels so slooooow compared to the Rex, and boy do I miss AWD. Only perk is that I'm saving 800 a year on insurance, so I'm planning on getting my hands on a new Rex once I turn 25 (3 years), and hopefully insurance will be more reasonable.

Salt on the wound is that a 2011 STI and 2010 WRX just moved into my apartment complex so I get the friendly reminder everyday I drive by them!

Should've just bought a beater to get you by.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the update. In a way I'm glad you don't have a pieced together salvage, but too bad they couldn't keep you in a Subi!

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    Should've just bought a beater to get you by.
    I thought about it, but I figure I can hold off for 3 years and my insurance should be substantially cheaper.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast