Rear-ended in my 2012 WRX Today.... - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rear-ended in my 2012 WRX Today.... within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; oh ok just making sure...

oh ok just making sure

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I feel your pain! My brand new 2012 WRX I just got a week ago was hit by a drunk stupid 19 yearold.
    2012 Subaru WRX Limited SWP
    + Tint (35% Front 15% Rear)
    + Injen CAI
    + White LED Replacements (Exterior and Interior)
    + Invidia Q300 Quad-Tip Cat-Back (Coming Soon!)
    + CNT Catted Down-pipe (Coming Soon)
    + AWD Dyno-Tune (Granite State Dyno & Tune, NH - Coming Soon)

Just thought I'd give an update to anyone interested, sorry it's taken so long for me to reply, works been busy.

The day after the accident I called HIS insurance (the guy who hit me) and filed a claim under his policy--since he admitted fault, the witnesses said he was at fault, and the cop wrote him a ticket. There was no question as to who was liable, he was. The pickup my car was pushed into also called and filed a claim on his policy as well. His insurance, Farmers, tried to get ahold of him for 12 days. They claimed until they talked to their insured (The guy who hit me) they wouldn't declare liability regardless of the accident/witness report.

So essentially for 2 weeks I paid for a rental car out of pocket. Finally on Monday of this week they called and said it's been so long, they're going off the accident report/witness accounts and are accepting liability. Perfect, right? So they send an appraiser out to give me an estimate on my car this Wednesday, and he claims my car as totaled (said there was 15k in repairs, and it would sell for salvage for 10k). THis is what I was pretty much hoping for... I don't want to drive my 2012 WRX around with $15,000 in repairs on it--it'd never be the same.

That afternoon, though, his insurance calls me back and says he doesn't have enough coverage to pay for my damages and the trucks damages (the truck's frame was bent and was declared total as well). I looked at the Kansas state minimum personal property liability insurance, and it's a measly $10,000. His insurance couldn't tell me exactly what coverage he had, but they hinted it was around the minimum. Since he didn't have enough insurance to pay either of our claims, they said to file a claim with my insurance.

So I filed a claim with my insurance, and they sent their appraiser out today, who said there was only $9500 which is not enough to total it, but they had me take it to a body shop to take a closer look at the quarter panels damage and frame. The body shop said they can't look at it until Tuesday, so I'm in a holding pattern here again.

The whole thing is frustrating--I'm paying the consequences for sitting at a red light. I had no fault at all, but bear the burden of his irresponsibility. Sorry for the wall of text, it's just been a long process, and the end isn't in sight yet!

I Support ClubWRX
    That genuinely sucks man. I feel really bad for you.

If you were local, I'd loan you my subie...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    That genuinely sucks man. I feel really bad for you.

If you were local, I'd loan you my subie...
    Much appreciated. It's just been a learning process I guess... in the end it'll work out I hope.

aww man, did you call a lawyer to get their opinion and possibly sue this dumb@$$?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by seeuarndjimmy View Post
    aww man, did you call a lawyer to get their opinion and possibly sue this dumb@$$?
    jeez man why even go there? Accidents are accidents, thats why you cover your ass. Suing people for accidents has done nothing but include in the decline of america.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

To each his own on this subject, but we're talking about someone innocent not being covered for someone else's mistake and now will potentially have to drive around in a brand new salvaged vehicle. Sorry OP dun mean to make anything worse than it is. It won't hurt talking to a lawyer and may give you options to think about. It also sounds like the other guy's Insurance may be leading you on; implying that there's a minimum coverage when in fact it is covered. I truly hope it works out for you and you end up with a brand new car. keep us updated

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by seeuarndjimmy View Post
    To each his own on this subject, but we're talking about someone innocent not being covered for someone else's mistake and now will potentially have to drive around in a brand new salvaged vehicle. Sorry OP dun mean to make anything worse than it is. It won't hurt talking to a lawyer and may give you options to think about. It also sounds like the other guy's Insurance may be leading you on; implying that there's a minimum coverage when in fact it is covered. I truly hope it works out for you and you end up with a brand new car. keep us updated

If there is any suing to be done, his insurance co. will do it while he sits home with a nice fixed or preferably new car. He isn't responsible for what they have to pay out in any way, and so has no suit. He just gets his car taken care of for the deductible.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    If there is any suing to be done, his insurance co. will do it while he sits home with a nice fixed or preferably new car. He isn't responsible for what they have to pay out in any way, and so has no suit. He just gets his car taken care of for the deductible.

This exactly. I'm hoping for a check so I can buy a pristine WRX again... mine had less than 5k miles on it.

Once I subrogate my interest to the insurance company they WILL sue him, and I'm glad. This is the price you pay taking out $10,000 (state minimum) in property damage liability coverage and then incur $40,000+ in damage, and it's time to be held responsible. If insurance companies didn't go after you personally for the rest, everybody would just take out the state minimum coverage and have $15 monthly premiums...

I have no sympathy for the guy. He didn't seem remorseful at all, and didn't apologize. He honestly made it sound like I was inconveniencing him when he hit me with comments like this: "aww man I'm gonna be late to my buds tonight now" (in which he did call that guy and said he was "held up" in traffic and would be 30 minutes late), and "damn man this is my 3rd wreck this year."

Now it's time for him to man up for his actions.

I just looked at a website listing state minimums and was floored. I thought 10k was ridiculous, but a lot of states are only 5k!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

What insurance companies are involved? You wouldn't be driving a salvaged car unless you decided to retain salvage if it goes that far

I'm sorry to read whats up there. But this one deserves to be sued. I'm not happy with all the stupid suing that goes on, like I have at work. A woman manganed to slip on ice in the parking lot last winter, now they're suing... It's like, come on, what is up with them people? We have a customer where people walk down a hallway that has a planter area in it. The people are texting, reading a book and such and they walk right into the planters. Now that company brings up "safety" and wants us to change things so that people can take one more step before they hit. What good is that going to do? You just can't fix stupid. But when someone is under insured and has already had a bunch of crashes, it's time for something more to happen... We ALL have to be responsible for our own actions.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Oh man, that sucks. I am absolutely stunned that the minimum amount of coverage can be so low. It should not be legal. What's the point of having insurance if it doesn't cover anything? Any adjustment the insured wishes to make to lower his or her premium should be the coverage on their own car. But, coverage to other people's property should be set at hundred's of thousands of dollars with no option to adjust. That way the only person harmed by skimping on insurance is the insured party - which they having knowingly opted for. Just staggered that's not the law. Really sorry buddy.
    Last edited by Soobvirgin; 07-27-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Ouch and I thought I had it was bad when this happened to my car....

My Poor Baby!!! :(

good luck with the insurance companies man hope you end up getting the better end of the deal and don't get screwed!
    Stink-Eye Mob #333
    2011 Lightning Red WRX
    Stage 2+ 93

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast