Rear-ended in my 2012 WRX Today.... - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rear-ended in my 2012 WRX Today.... within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by junior532 Close. It was an '84 Monte Carlo lifted with 22-24" rims... I'll post a pic after ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by junior532 View Post
    Close. It was an '84 Monte Carlo lifted with 22-24" rims... I'll post a pic after I get off work.

Great, one of the few things worse than the hellafrush.....the classic american with 20" of ground clearance cause they needed to slap some 24" on.

On the bright side, your N.E.R.D. got rid of one of those things.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here's the best picture I have of his car. My girlfriend has a picture on her phone of his car from a distance with about 40 feet of tire marks behind him that I'll try and get ahold of..

Don't forget to get the depreciated value after the repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by christiangordon View Post
    My thoughts as well... which makes me want to believe it might be better to have it be totaled, as bad as that sounds

Banned
    Did he still have the stock drums on that turd? We know he didn't have ABS with the 40ft rubber he laid down.

You'd be better off if it's declared totaled. Whether they make it look good as new doesn't mean a thing if your resale value drops into the basement.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by speedsterX View Post
    Did you grab the lug wrench out of the trunk and beat that dude to a pulp? I would have...
    And this would accomplish what exactly? I've never understood this reaction. That's why they are called accidents. I'm sure the guy that cause the accident didn't wake up that morning and say to himself, "i feel like an ass today, I'm going to rear end someone." In the end, it's just a car. Material items can be fixed or replaced. Human life cannot.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    And this would accomplish what exactly? I've never understood this reaction. That's why they are called accidents. I'm sure the guy that cause the accident didn't wake up that morning and say to himself, "i feel like an ass today, I'm going to rear end someone." In the end, it's just a car. Material items can be fixed or replaced. Human life cannot.
    I assume it was most likely a joke.
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by KiddWRX View Post
    From my point of view passenger rear quarter panel is f***ed,trunk,rear bumper,driver rear quarter panel not that bad just the corner by the trunk. and the whole rear has to be pulled out.That is actually well worth 7-8 grand in repairs since we don't know what suspension components were damaged as well. Also it being a new car all the parts are going to be order through subaru and not china which makes it more expensive. as for the front you may need a condenser or not plus the other damages. Its hard for me to say just be happy that your alive when your car made you feel alive and happy. I also use to work in a body shop
    Glad to hear you're ok and sorry to hear about the wreck.

The rear quarterpanels are part of the unibody. They're not separate panels like the fronts are. Fixing them is very difficult since you can't take them off and hammer, bend, or roll them straight. All the shop can do is use a dent puller or hammer against the outside with a form on the inside, and there's not really room to do that very easily (if at all in most places).

Quote Originally Posted by christiangordon View Post
    My thoughts as well... which makes me want to believe it might be better to have it be totaled, as bad as that sounds
    What state do you live in? The majority of states don't have diminished value laws. I'd much rather have it totaled too, but it all depends on what the insurance company estimates it'll take to repair the damage. It needs to be somewhere between 70-80% of the market value before they total it. I'm betting because it's so new and still has a very high value, the repairs will come out to less than that figure. A lot depends on how badly the front is damaged because with that rear damage it's not enough IMHO. You said it bent the frame, but I'm betting it was the front crash bumper since that's the only frame component in the front other than a few pieces of the unibody the radiator mount to.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post

The rear quarterpanels are part of the unibody. They're not separate panels like the fronts are. Fixing them is very difficult since you can't take them off and hammer, bend, or roll them straight. All the shop can do is use a dent puller or hammer against the outside with a form on the inside, and there's not really room to do that very easily (if at all in most places).

What state do you live in? The majority of states don't have diminished value laws. I'd much rather have it totaled too, but it all depends on what the insurance company estimates it'll take to repair the damage. It needs to be somewhere between 70-80% of the market value before they total it. I'm betting because it's so new and still has a very high value, the repairs will come out to less than that figure. A lot depends on how badly the front is damaged because with that rear damage it's not enough IMHO. You said it bent the frame, but I'm betting it was the front crash bumper since that's the only frame component in the front other than a few pieces of the unibody the radiator mount to.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm in Kansas right now (moved to where the job was!), but am from Colorado originally, which I see is your neck of the woods. Yeah the car had just over 4000 miles so it really shouldn't have depreciated much at all. The supply of Subaru's here in Kansas is so much smaller than in Colorado, I honestly believe I could've sold the car for a profit here, if I weren't so attached to it.

I'm pretty sure it is the frame on the front, I haven't mustered up the courage to go check my wounded baby, but I'll snap a picture tomorrow of it. So far his insurance has been pretty slow in getting the process rolling, so it'll be interesting to see what the adjuster says.

I'll keep you fellas posted!

take care man,

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post

I never heard of a car that you can't replace the quarter panel. when the quarter panel is too f***ed up then they any order one from an official junkyard. For instance LKQ is an official junkyard that have paperwork that goes into the 90's and nothing is stolen. all that needs to be done is cutting of the effected area and welding. to much work involved to straighten out the rear. It would be cool if you get an STI as a rental lol

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Kansas right now (moved to where the job was!), but am from Colorado originally, which I see is your neck of the woods. Yeah the car had just over 4000 miles so it really shouldn't have depreciated much at all. The supply of Subaru's here in Kansas is so much smaller than in Colorado, I honestly believe I could've sold the car for a profit here, if I weren't so attached to it.

I'm pretty sure it is the frame on the front, I haven't mustered up the courage to go check my wounded baby, but I'll snap a picture tomorrow of it. So far his insurance has been pretty slow in getting the process rolling, so it'll be interesting to see what the adjuster says.
    Kansas courts have upheld that diminished value (this is the proper term not "depreciated value") can and should be paid in the state, but it's not an official law on the books. So you can claim it from the other party but there's no guarantee you'll get it. You should really have your insurance company handling this and not you. That's one of the things you pay insurance premiums for is to help you in case of an accident where another party is at fault. You don't just pay so you're protected if you're at fault. It won't raise your rates to have them help you get money from the other insurance company either.

I'm curious to see a photo of exactly what in the "frame" was damaged in the front. There's really not much in the center other than the crash support and the top and bottom pieces that hold the radiator and various bits and braces (and the front of the car together! ).

Quote Originally Posted by KiddWRX View Post
    I never heard of a car that you can't replace the quarter panel. when the quarter panel is too f***ed up then they any order one from an official junkyard. For instance LKQ is an official junkyard that have paperwork that goes into the 90's and nothing is stolen. all that needs to be done is cutting of the effected area and welding. to much work involved to straighten out the rear. It would be cool if you get an STI as a rental lol
    Of course you can do this, but I was really referring to whether there's an actual panel attached via screws, bolts, etc that can be taken off and replaced versus having to do complicated metalwork to fix it. Given the amount of damage to the OP's car, it's going to take a HUGE section from another car to be chopped off and welded in there!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

hey jones correct me if im wrong becaue i saw this on another thread. you can buy wrx rear quarter panels instead of chopping them off another car

Yes any reputable shop will NOT use used quarters on a new or even a used car. Used quarters are for rebuilding salvage cars

All parts floor rear body qtr panels inner structure can be had new

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.