wrx reliability overall
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on wrx reliability overall within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hello all, i'm considering getting a 2012 or perhaps wait for the 2013 WRX to get this car and on ...

wrx reliability overall

hello all, i'm considering getting a 2012 or perhaps wait for the 2013 WRX to get this car and on my research I have found that the transmission the 5MT some people say its junk then other people seem to think its just the drivers fault, right now my budget says that i can afford the wrx with ease although i would want an STI it might not be possible because I like a lot of room to breath when it comes to my budget. Anyway what is your experience on the matter is the 5MT transmission really junk? has it been revised and is it better built now? Like anyone that gets this car and is an enthusiast eventually I would like to maybe hit the track, as far as modifications go I plan to leave it stock for a long time, I just don't want to get into a new car and worry my transmission will fail if I push it a bit, I have even heard people who actually were babying the car and the trans still failed? What is the experience with these new model wrx?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I know a kid who blew 2nd in his 5MT... he's a clown though, and nothing short of it.

No first hand experience, but from forum observation, I haven't seen too many. I think most of the complaints come from the older (02 + some 03s I believe) 5MTs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

the talk about the 5spd is basically that its not a strong transmission for racing, launching, autoXing, etc. The wrx is a quick street car, the STI is more of a track car for the street. Your standard rowing through the gears and spirited driving should be fine, even throwing in an autoX every once in a while. Just be careful
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

As long as your not constantly dumping the clutch and trying to redline every chance you get you'll be fine. I have a 2004 WRX and the transmission is quite durable. The thing with the transmission is that the more mods you put under the car, the more stress the transmission takes and the higher likelihood of it breaking will happen. The WRX and STI are not made like a Mustang or Toyota where you can tear it to hell and expect it to hold up without something going wrong. A majority of the transmissions I ever heard of someone breaking was due to them not taking care of their car and abusing the hell out of it. Example: Doing a 6.5K RPM clutch dump and then hard launching through 1st and 2nd. Take care of your car and it'll take care of you.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneManiac View Post
    Take care of your car and it'll take care of you.
    Yep.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

i just picked up my wrx 2012 3 days ago and today backing out of a parking spot i had an issue with reverse. It wouldn't engage until i really slammed it down. scared me =/ hope this is just a break in thing and gets better.

^ if you have trouble getting into either 1 or R, double-clutching will help (in neutral, let out the clutch and push it back in, then go in).
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneManiac View Post
    As long as your not constantly dumping the clutch and trying to redline every chance you get you'll be fine. I have a 2004 WRX and the transmission is quite durable. The thing with the transmission is that the more mods you put under the car, the more stress the transmission takes and the higher likelihood of it breaking will happen. The WRX and STI are not made like a Mustang or Toyota where you can tear it to hell and expect it to hold up without something going wrong. A majority of the transmissions I ever heard of someone breaking was due to them not taking care of their car and abusing the hell out of it. Example: Doing a 6.5K RPM clutch dump and then hard launching through 1st and 2nd. Take care of your car and it'll take care of you.
    Uh oh, he said the M word!
    You should NEVER dump a clutch on an AWD car. End of discussion.
    And a Mustang is more reliable than a WRX/STi? Since when? Heck, if I recall correctly, Subaru beats Toyota at reliability too.

Sent from my DROID2 Global using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by seeuarndjimmy View Post
    i just picked up my wrx 2012 3 days ago and today backing out of a parking spot i had an issue with reverse. It wouldn't engage until i really slammed it down. scared me =/ hope this is just a break in thing and gets better.
    Try putting it into first before going into reverse.

As for the transmissions, in my opinion, people tend to beat the hell out of the car then wonder why their trans goes. They will tell you they only launched it 3 or 4 times and that they are mad that they are told its driver responsible. Any launch is really too many times. When a two wheel drive is launched the tires spin...even if its just a little with good tires. With the AWD of the Subie it hooks up much better. This is considered to be an advantage for "launching". However, when the tires don't slip the power has to go somewhere and that would be the clutch and trans. In comparison to the older WRX there is 40 more HP with the 09+ witch means that much more strain on the clutch and trans. As stated above....take care of the car and you should be fine.
    Stink-Eye Mob #270
    Enjoy your driving.

My 04 with the 5mt has been great. 190k and going strong. Original clutch too.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

I've seen a lot of mustangs take a lot of power. My Tercel had 240K miles on it and still was running strong even after the head was going out. The motor burned oil like mad but it still kept strong. Never said that a Mustang is reliable, saying that those transmissions can take a fair amount of abuse before they drop out. Our transmissions are much more prone to breaking due to the fact we have an AWD system versus a RWD system. Just saying that the transmissions on the Mustang are possibly able to take more power and strain due to user error versus ours. It just seems the block and trani on a mustang is able to absorb more brute force, whereas we have to be more precise and careful.

Just curious... Learning here so don't flame... What does dumping the clutch mean?

its basically when for example when your at a stop you rev to 5k and let the clutch out very quick.

So the take home message is: Don't dump the clutch and you should expect reliability?

Take home message is, don't abuse the car and it'll be very reliable Clutch dumping is just one way to abuse the car, there are many others.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.