Maf
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Maf within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What the problem is that I fitted samco hoses to my car and ever since then when u plug in ...

Maf

What the problem is that I fitted samco hoses to my car and ever since then when u plug in the maf the engine cuts out completely. I ve tryed a maf that is workin to check I didn't need a new maf and it still done it. Any one got any ideas what it could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Since you don't mention a car I'll answer based on mine. If you don't own a 2002 WRX, get one and then make sure the MAF harness is facing forward. Other than that, suspect a truly massive leak downstream of the MAF.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Does the engine somehow run without the MAF?

I think ya botched up a hose or two. Or the MAF is backwards as stated above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    make sure the MAF harness is facing forward. Other than that, suspect a truly massive leak downstream of the MAF.
    Backwards MAF is the most likely cause. When facing the engine bay in front of the passenger headlight, the MAF wire should be between the MAF and said headlight.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Does the engine somehow run without the MAF?

I think ya botched up a hose or two. Or the MAF is backwards as stated above.
    Yeh the engine runs without out the maf plugged in but as soon as I plug it in the engine totally dies. Nah the maf is on the right way. Someone's mentions maybe a loose earth or a fryed wire in the wiring loom cause the maf plug is giving a positive

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobz18 View Post
    Yeh the engine runs without out the maf plugged in but as soon as I plug it in the engine totally dies. Nah the maf is on the right way. Someone's mentions maybe a loose earth or a fryed wire in the wiring loom cause the maf plug is giving a positive
    MAF should read high (5V) when disconnected. That is equivalent to your car thinking it is at max load, and injecting enough fuel to do so. I'd doubt the short.

Consider what you changed. The fault is most likely due to something you did during that change. I doubt a wire short would show up coincidentally due to some samco hoses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    MAF should read high (5V) when disconnected. That is equivalent to your car thinking it is at max load, and injecting enough fuel to do so. I'd doubt the short.

Consider what you changed. The fault is most likely due to something you did during that change. I doubt a wire short would show up coincidentally due to some samco hoses.
    ^ this. If it was fine, then you made a change, now it isn't fine, then the change is to blame somehow. Check the hoses, change them back one at a time, etc to pinpoint it.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.