Possible WRS/STI owner (tech questions)

This is a discussion on Possible WRS/STI owner (tech questions) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sure hope this is the correct place for these questions. I have been mechanic for 6 years, I have mostly ...

Possible WRS/STI owner (tech questions)

Sure hope this is the correct place for these questions.

I have been mechanic for 6 years, I have mostly just worked on Euro imports(VW, BMW, Audi) I've owned 3 Volkswagens and they have all treated me very very well! Now subarus have always been near the top of my mental coor car list, but now that I am actually in the position to be looking a new/newer vehicle I'm hearing all these horror stories about wrx/sti owners blowing turbos, or spinning main bearings, collapsing a piston, tranny gear grinding. I heard in 2009 WRXs were complete lemons and countless engines were replace left right and center.

At the end of the day, every engine will leak, every clutch will blow up, there will always be squeaks and rattles. Which brings me to my questions: Are wrx/sti delicate, and require to be pampered and babied all the time? Or are the problems only prone to the owners that abuse there cars and negate any vehicle maintenance? I am completely sold on the AWD technology and performance behind the subaru name. I just want to know from actually owners what im getting myself into if I purchase a 2010+ wrs or sti.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Armaida View Post
    Or are the problems only prone to the owners that abuse there cars and negate any vehicle maintenance?
    Feel like that's the answer your going to get from many here. Could be wrong... I bought my WRX 2011 believing it is going to last me at least 7-10 years (Not really going to do power mods or at least that's what I think )

^ this.

It is true that there were engine issues for some particular '09s. There is a certain build date range you want to avoid. Otherwise these are generally reliable except when abused/neglected i.e. any other car.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

With proper maintenance, you will find that a Subaru will last you every bit as long as a Honda or Toyota, but have a little more cool/fun factor to it.

Usually the stories you hear are a result of some kind of abuse or mistreatment. Sure a WRX transmission may grind or lose teeth if you up the power output to 300whp and slam gears and launch it. Yeah a piston may melt if you run around Wide-open-throttling it to redline every chance you get (the stock tunes aren't the best to be honest at least...but there are improvements you can make for that: Stage 1, Stage 2).

Yes there was a run of 2009 production year WRXs that had engine failures, but many were replaced under warranty by Subaru if they fell within that known bad build date.

Bottom line is, Subarus are fun, well built, and in general should last. You won't experience any major issues aside from what could hinder any car manufacturer. Could something random happen? Sure...but again, that could happen with any make.

But at least with a Subaru, you won't run into any electrical problems like V-Dubds
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

All depends on how well the car is maintained and driven. If buying used try to find clean car fax with no accident's and hopefully plenty of good service records. like frequent oil changes or drive belt, spark plugs, and air filter at 60k. If over 100k hopefully a timing belt and water pump. Also if modded have proof of a tune or accessport with desired map. WRX's/STi's do not like when you simply bolt parts on, should be tuned accordingly. cobb offers a nice item or torqued performance, that allows you to upload the correct map yourself. If maintained well you wont have a problem getting over 150k.

I'd steer clear of the 08's and 09's, 08's had a smaller turbo giving it 224hp, where 09 used upgraded turbo at 265hp, but there were a bad batch. 10+ or 07- be a good place to start. Of course there are other small problems subaru produced like the plastic motor mounts in 06. Just do your research and don't buy from a young kid
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

Quote Originally Posted by Armaida View Post
    Sure hope this is the correct place for these questions.

I have been mechanic for 6 years, I have mostly just worked on Euro imports(VW, BMW, Audi) I've owned 3 Volkswagens and they have all treated me very very well! Now subarus have always been near the top of my mental coor car list, but now that I am actually in the position to be looking a new/newer vehicle I'm hearing all these horror stories about wrx/sti owners blowing turbos, or spinning main bearings, collapsing a piston, tranny gear grinding. I heard in 2009 WRXs were complete lemons and countless engines were replace left right and center.

At the end of the day, every engine will leak, every clutch will blow up, there will always be squeaks and rattles. Which brings me to my questions: Are wrx/sti delicate, and require to be pampered and babied all the time? Or are the problems only prone to the owners that abuse there cars and negate any vehicle maintenance? I am completely sold on the AWD technology and performance behind the subaru name. I just want to know from actually owners what im getting myself into if I purchase a 2010+ wrs or sti.
    Where are you hearing this from? Hang around a few of the Subaru Forums and you might see 1 post of of 100 saying they blew a tranny on their WRX (2002-2007, not much from 2008+). As for blowing turbos, i can see that happening when someone is trying to max out their turbo, but from a stock WRX haven't heard of it yet. The 09 WRX had a bad batch, i can't remember the build dates but i have an 09 with no engine problems.

I honestly think you are getting your info from other car forums who are going to bash any other car other than theirs. If everything you said was true i sure as hell wouldn't buy a Subaru, i don't think half the people on this site would have nor would Subaru consistently be praised on reliability throughout the news.