WRX Sparks many reactions from different people - Page 9
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX Sparks many reactions from different people within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I actually just say "Impreza". This car is for my own enjoyment. I don't want to have a conversation with ...

I actually just say "Impreza". This car is for my own enjoyment. I don't want to have a conversation with someone that doesn't understand anything about my car, have them want to check it out, sit in it and touch everything with their dirty paws.

I come here to talk to people that do understand and that's all I need.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I like the "It's just a 4WD station wagon" idea...
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    I like the "It's just a 4WD station wagon" idea...
    I like that too, but it doesn't help when my wife tells her friends that I drive a "race car". Then, I have to attempt to be modest, and say, it's just a wagon.
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    In all worlds, people desperately cling to something that makes them feel special for a short time. A need for validation through differentiation.
    Well said and definitely true. It's true of cars and the way people dress and all sorts of other things.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Well said and definitely true. It's true of cars and the way people dress and all sorts of other things.
    Yeah, I catch myself doing it. Part of the human condition, I guess.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I catch myself doing it. Part of the human condition, I guess.
    Even the people that try to be "different" are usually just perceived as buttmunching, douche-tastic, retards. Hence, hipsters. I think a certain stigma is percieved with anything that is mass produced. If you want to be truely different in the car world, go buy an Atom or a Caterham.

I Support ClubWRX
    At the end of the day, though, you have to scrutinize your motives. If you're doing something because it makes you happy, that's one thing. If you're doing it to impress others...most of the time that's worked out to be a waste of time for me.

It's all wired into our genetic memory...at some base level we're trying to attract a mate or prove our alpha status so the other apes won't beat us up.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 05-31-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    At the end of the day, though, you have to scrutinize your motives. If you're doing something because it makes you happy, that's one thing. If you're doing it to impress others...most of the time that's worked out to be a waste of time for me.

It's all wired into our genetic memory...and some base level we're trying to attract a mate or prove our alpha status so the other apes won't beat us up.
    For me, my car definitely makes me happy. I love it to death no matter what anyone says about it or my hobby(addiction). However, it is disheartening to see younger kids get their hands on 1st gens and either destroy them, or give people who drive a WRX a bad name. But like you said, as long as it makes me happy that is the only thing that matters.

People tend to judge you significantly by the way you dress and the car you drive. Is it stupid, yeah, but that is just life. I respect people who are truly individuals and do the things they want for their own reasons, especially when it comes to cars. I meet a lot of cool people at some of the local car shows, but there are plenty of douchebags there too. Unfortunately, a lot of people are attention wh0res looking for validation from the society around them.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX 2.0L
    2011 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 5.4L
    2005 Toyota Solara SE 2.4L

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    For me, my car definitely makes me happy. I love it to death no matter what anyone says about it or my hobby(addiction). However, it is disheartening to see younger kids get their hands on 1st gens and either destroy them, or give people who drive a WRX a bad name. But like you said, as long as it makes me happy that is the only thing that matters.
    When I drive around in my WRX, every cop that sees me either slows down and follows me, turns around and follows me, or just gives me the worst death stare. I understand its because im a young kid in a fast car, but if is wasn't for them punk kids who have to race around everywhere I dont think cops would be so judging.

I was getting gas last night on my way home from work around 11. A cop drove past and stared me down, next thing I know hes pulling into the entrance on the other side and drives really slow next to me while still staring at me, gets back on the roads and continues on his way...

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djd085 View Post
    When I drive around in my WRX, every cop that sees me either slows down and follows me, turns around and follows me, or just gives me the worst death stare. I understand its because im a young kid in a fast car, but if is wasn't for them punk kids who have to race around everywhere I dont think cops would be so judging.

I was getting gas last night on my way home from work around 11. A cop drove past and stared me down, next thing I know hes pulling into the entrance on the other side and drives really slow next to me while still staring at me, gets back on the roads and continues on his way...
    You sure it not just ... you ???
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Was his name Rod Farva?

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I think a certain stigma is percieved with anything that is mass produced. If you want to be truely different in the car world, go buy an Atom or a Caterham.
    I definitely like having unique vehicles, whether they're somewhat unique from the factory, or I customize them to be that way. The biggest problem is the more unique a vehicle is, the more it costs to maintain and modify it! My '77 Ford is an F-150, the highest selling truck in history. However, it's a short box flare side high boy with a 351 Windsor, all of which are pretty unique, plus anything that's 35 years old means there's not a lot of them left on the road. I occasionally see other 70s F-150s, but never another one of my model. The only problem is that since it's unique, every mod costs an arm and a leg and/or has to be custom built. My winch mount system is totally custom, I had to find a real specialty place to rebuild my drive shaft when the U joint went because I couldn't find a replacement, and the worst thing has been trying to solve the engine cooling problem. I've literally talked to at least 50 different really knowledgeable places while trying to solve the problem of it running hot when off-roading, and in the end just had to figure out my own solution by cobbling together something based on little bits and pieces from different people.

I'd love to have some of the even more unique vehicles out there, but maintaining and modding them just gets too expensive, never mind it just becomes a real headache and pain in the @$$ you don't want to deal with! Those old Toyota FJs are awesome but they fall right into this category.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by AmateurX View Post
    I like that too, but it doesn't help when my wife tells her friends that I drive a "race car". Then, I have to attempt to be modest, and say, it's just a wagon.
    Just this past weekend my wife and I were at a party and she told one of her friends I have a rally car. Of course, this person had no idea what a rally car was so I had to explain.
    Scoob_Noob
    2012 Base WRX 5-door WR Blue Pearl
    Perrin short throw adapter

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Was his name Rod Farva?

LOL. I got the Super Troopers reference.
    Scoob_Noob
    2012 Base WRX 5-door WR Blue Pearl
    Perrin short throw adapter

Closed Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.