WRX Sparks many reactions from different people - Page 6
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX Sparks many reactions from different people within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; the made in US guys I am talking about don't consider Honda/Toyota/et al. 'made in US' as the company is ...

I Support ClubWRX
    the made in US guys I am talking about don't consider Honda/Toyota/et al. 'made in US' as the company is in Japan (though most of them are made here)....though they count FoMoCo/GM as 'made in US' as tehy are US companies, but not made here.....redneck logic at its best lol.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh I know, those are fans of cars made in CA and MX.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So people who choose support US based companies are rednecks. How logical.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    the made in US guys I am talking about don't consider Honda/Toyota/et al. 'made in US' as the company is in Japan (though most of them are made here)....though they count FoMoCo/GM as 'made in US' as tehy are US companies, but not made here.....redneck logic at its best lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Well, the way I see it, by supporting a US-company (Honda...) and even by typing this message on a Chinese computer (Apple...) I am in a convoluted way a true xenophile.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have no resolution about how to feel about this. I want to actively support the American economy..which is better, to buy the Honda, which puts food on the table for some workers in Indiana or wherever, or to buy the Ford, which may be manufactured elsewhere, but presumably involves some American engineers, managers, etc...?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Demon has a point. By living in the Detroit area I'm subject to the redneck mentality of Buy American every day. (My most hated bumper sticker is "Out of a job yet? Keep buying Foreign!" - It just screams ignorance.) It's not that people that support US industry are redneck. It's that the mob mentality of Buy American means "American car companies". (I think the Detroit area is still confused as to how to classify Chrysler.) It has nothing to do with where the car is made/built/designed. As long as they see that GM/Ford badge on the back of the car, they're OK. I'm actually intentional about where I park in parking lots. There's certain cars I will not park next to. But at the same time, I don't pack by myself, in the back of the parking lot either.
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

I buy a car because I like what the car does for me and how it feels around me. How it will do its job over extended periods of time in varios conditions. I like good solid engineering, I like predictable/repeatable performance. I like the driving experience.. the feeling of the road and machine through its controls.

I've not yet run into a American car company product that suffices for me in any of those categories.

Personally, I'd rather support the people that make better cars. Sure that's unpatriotic but I dgaf.. I served in the military honorably, my patriotism has been demonstrated.
    Its my money that I work hard for and I want good stuff for my money. Keeping money conus for crappy stuff (internal components of which is actually made in China anyway if not the entire vehicle being made somewhere else) doesn't make sense to me.

Thats like congradulating the dog for taking a dump on your new living room carpet. Sure, he's healthy because he crapped but he's not doing you any favors by keeping it "in house" ...

Way I see it (and I could be completely wrong) is that if I continue to support those that make a superior product and others do so with me... those that make inferior products will step up their game to stay competitive. At least.. it works in theory. lol

IMHO As Americans we make nice trucks. But mass production passenger vehicle wise, that's about it. The rest are numb cookie cutter designed clone cars without any personality or driver feel. I'm sorry folks but I'm not going to spend money on something like that.

I also wave at other scoobie owners.. if I'm paying attention anyway
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

^^This. And thank you for your service.

I used to be die-hard Chevy. And then they sucked. If 'American' car companies want me to buy their cars, they need to stop making cars that suck. Ford has come a long way and Chevy is doing some better things now, too, after their entire front office has been renovated.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I buy a car because I like what the car does for me and how it feels around me. How it will do its job over extended periods of time in varios conditions. I like good solid engineering, I like predictable/repeatable performance. I like the driving experience.. the feeling of the road and machine through its controls.

I've not yet run into a American car company product that suffices for me in any of those categories.

Personally, I'd rather support the people that make better cars. Sure that's unpatriotic but I dgaf.. I served in the military honorably, my patriotism has been demonstrated.
    Its my money that I work hard for and I want good stuff for my money. Keeping money conus for crappy stuff (internal components of which is actually made in China anyway if not the entire vehicle being made somewhere else) doesn't make sense to me.

Thats like congradulating the dog for taking a dump on your new living room carpet. Sure, he's healthy because he crapped but he's not doing you any favors by keeping it "in house" ...

Way I see it (and I could be completely wrong) is that if I continue to support those that make a superior product and others do so with me... those that make inferior products will step up their game to stay competitive. At least.. it works in theory. lol

IMHO As Americans we make nice trucks. But mass production passenger vehicle wise, that's about it. The rest are numb cookie cutter designed clone cars without any personality or driver feel. I'm sorry folks but I'm not going to spend money on something like that.

I also wave at other scoobie owners.. if I'm paying attention anyway
    Well said.

I told my 25 year GM vet. father, when he gave me the evil eye for my purchase, that I was tired of buying a car because I felt obligated. I had decided to be a Consumer. In fact that's my platform. If I get hassled for my super-sweet car, I just tell them I'm exercising my right, as a US citizen, to make a CHOICE. Isn't that a core value of America?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

^ well put. agree'd 100%.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    No, that is not it at all. I have no issue with a US owner, and would prefer to buy US made.....but I can't (more on that in a sec).

The rednecks I speak of are those pieces of excrement that will yell at you in the street for buying 'that Jap POS' Honda (which is made in the US), while they are driving an Impala (which is made in Ontario). People who try to make you feel bad for ruining the country economy because you chose to buy a car who's CEO is not linked to MI.

Now, for my ability to buy 'American' cars...Americans are considered some of the tallest people (on average) in the world, and it is well known we gots a weight problem.....why the hell is it that my head hits the roof, and my knees are buried in the dash of every 'American' car that is not a full size Cadillac? Why are the Japanese designed (and fully built) cars far more spacious? They have been for years....my old '89 CRX had a good 3" above my head, and if the seat was all the way back I could not push the clutch in all the way.

I am glad to see that the US is finally starting to make decent 4cyl engines. For years, if it was American it had to be a V8 cause the V6 and I4 blocks were crap. I think this might be proof of what Mango said...

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    if I continue to support those that make a superior product and others do so with me... those that make inferior products will step up their game to stay competitive.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Now, for my ability to buy 'American' cars...Americans are considered some of the tallest people (on average) in the world, and it is well known we gots a weight problem.....why the hell is it that my head hits the roof, and my knees are buried in the dash of every 'American' car that is not a full size Cadillac? Why are the Japanese designed (and fully built) cars far more spacious? They have been for years....my old '89 CRX had a good 3" above my head, and if the seat was all the way back I could not push the clutch in all the way.
    Yeah, I'm 6'3" and I find it difficult to push the clutch all the way in when the seat is all the way back in my WRX... And I swear I have about an entire foot between my head and the roof in this thing... It's awesome!!
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Dismissing someone as a redneck because of the views they hold on that front is my problem here. I wouldn't consider someone who will only buy foreign an idiot, nor would I consider someone who chooses to back American products whenever they can an idiot either. I don't associate either viewpoint with patriotism, but look at it similarly to the polarization of politics. People at the ends on both sides look at each other with disdain. As someone in the middle, I think to dismiss either as $insult is downright foolish. I know many people, many very well educated people who choose to only back and buy American. Sure they may not know where every component is made on every vehicle produced like the folks here, but they are far from as ignorant as the light that people seem to cast them in because they buy American.

Quote Originally Posted by AmateurX View Post
    Demon has a point. By living in the Detroit area I'm subject to the redneck mentality of Buy American every day. (My most hated bumper sticker is "Out of a job yet? Keep buying Foreign!" - It just screams ignorance.) It's not that people that support US industry are redneck. It's that the mob mentality of Buy American means "American car companies". (I think the Detroit area is still confused as to how to classify Chrysler.) It has nothing to do with where the car is made/built/designed. As long as they see that GM/Ford badge on the back of the car, they're OK. I'm actually intentional about where I park in parking lots. There's certain cars I will not park next to. But at the same time, I don't pack by myself, in the back of the parking lot either.

I Support ClubWRX
    to clarify, I too do not look down upon those that choose to back American makes, just those who hate you for choosing otherwise as if you were a traitor. If you personally choose to buy America makes, good for you....just don't hate me for making my own choice.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    There's a wee bit of fanboi'ism going on here. I see the American makers as making substantial progress over the last few years. Having had the opportunity to rent Mustangs, Camaros, Fiestas, Focuseses, etc...and having rented them years ago...there have been big improvements. Every one of those cars has a nicer interior build quality than my bugeye, for Pete's sake.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon