WRX Sparks many reactions from different people - Page 4
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX Sparks many reactions from different people within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It's interesting, the different perspectives. New-gen owners believe that their car was an improvement over the older...yet if I park ...

I Support ClubWRX
    It's interesting, the different perspectives. New-gen owners believe that their car was an improvement over the older...yet if I park my '02 wagon in a line of cars that includes a newer WRX, mine, to my eye, stands out as being different. The newer ones, while attractive vehicles, blend in much more in a sea of Mazda3's, Focii, and Volkswagens.

I like the fact that my bugeye has a different appeal from nearly every angle. But then, I'm weird that way...

Don't get me wrong..I'd be proud to own a newer car. There are many functional improvements! Hopefully it's still more raw than your average commuter.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    It's interesting, the different perspectives. New-gen owners believe that their car was an improvement over the older...yet if I park my '02 wagon in a line of cars that includes a newer WRX, mine, to my eye, stands out as being different. The newer ones, while attractive vehicles, blend in much more in a sea of Mazda3's, Focii, and Volkswagens.

I like the fact that my bugeye has a different appeal from nearly every angle. But then, I'm weird that way...

Don't get me wrong..I'd be proud to own a newer car. There are many functional improvements! Hopefully it's still more raw than your average commuter.
    Don't beat around the bush.Just tell us you hate us.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not all of us 11-12 guys are block-head douche bags. I have wanted a WRX since 1999 when I found out they existed. Hell, I can still remember the first WRX I ever saw in person....mid September, 2001, in Memphis TN at the Texaco gas station on Quince Rd...it was a 2002 Sedona Red with dark grey interior.

Till last year I never thought I would ever be able to have one. If I ever strike it rich, I plan on having at least one of each of the previous gens in my stable.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Absolutely - and I don't think that's weird at all! You know and appreciate exactly what your car IS and what it CAN DO. I can see just from your avatar that you have made at least some subtle adjustments to the stock look that a keen eye would recognize and appreciate as well. And that's what sets our cars apart.

I guess my "outside the box" perspective is one where I take the keen eye and applicable knowledge out of the equation. Personally, I love the looks of all of the STIs (but I'm ECSTATIC with the looks of the new 2012 WRXs) and, like I said above, I have admired these from their inception. And to me, that's half of the game that I love! Everybody expects a Ferrari or Lambo to be fast. But a 2002 bugeye? Most people wouldn't even look at it twice: there's another blue car.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    If I ever strike it rich, I plan on having at least one of each of the previous gens in my stable.
    That's what I said about the Camaros until they started sucking. I had a '68, '71, and '74.

Let's just hope Subaru doesn't hire any previous GM execs!
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    It seems that the influx of '11 owners has brought about the "Ken Block" disorder, where most 3G owners believe that their WRX is faster than just about, well, everything on the road... blah blah and gratuitous use of the word "brah." I'm not saying that's you, it's just common.
    ^ I've noticed that.. and while I dont see a lot of it locally in Virginia Beach (subaru wise) it does seem to be a bit of a national issue as a whole.

Look at it this way though.. we're still a far cry and at least two more generation of car away from the honda crew lol
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    And what's the easiest/quickest way to tell an'11 from a '12? Headlights are shinier? At least with the prior models, I could tell down to a 2 year range at a glance.

All you new-gen guys look alike...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    I know your eyes may not be what they used to be thus far only the 11-12 has the 'wide body' in the WRX trim, so you can tell it apart from the 08-10 at a glance. At a glance from 20 yards, what is the difference between a 2002 and a 2003 bug eye?
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    what is the difference between a 2002 and a 2003 bug eye?
    Brake ducts *****!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

And what's the easiest/quickest way to tell an'11 from a '12? Headlights are shinier? At least with the prior models, I could tell down to a 2 year range at a glance. /COLOR][/SIZE]
    Ha I think in a joke you actually hit the nail on the head. The '12 headlights have a silver/chrome housing around the main headlight whereas the '11s are black. More chrome = shinier. For being old you have great visual acuity.
    Float like a butterfly and sting like when I pee

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    ^ I've noticed that.. and while I dont see a lot of it locally in Virginia Beach (subaru wise) it does seem to be a bit of a national issue as a whole.

Look at it this way though.. we're still a far cry and at least two more generation of car away from the honda crew lol
    Think the Honda crews have started showing up already.....
    And what's the easiest/quickest way to tell an'11 from a '12? Headlights are shinier? At least with the prior models, I could tell down to a 2 year range at a glance.

All you new-gen guys look alike...
    Chrome headlights vs the '11s blacked out headlights, color matched trunk trim for the '12 sedans vs the brushed aluminum looking one on the '11s, though most people either black it out or get it color matched anyway. About it from what I recall, except for the plasma blue pearl; if it's a WRX and it's PBP, it's either a '12, a Canadian '11 or an STi trying to hide under different badging.

I dont know why everyone gets so uppity about the '12 headlights. A local guy here just got into a pretty healthy accident with his '11 sti and stated plainly that he WOULD NOT (his words.. cap'd for emphasis) order or buy a '12 just because of the headlights.

Now I respect this guy quite a bit, he's not a car newb.. but I can fix a chrome headlight bezel problem in a couple hours with some basic tools, an oven and a can of black spraypaint. Personally I dont like any chrome in the headlight or taillight housing at all.. just the colors needed by law and the light source peering out at me. But thats ME. Apparently oem's dont see it that way.

As for the younger less settled owners.... meh.. this is going to happen to any hot genre of car that starts to become affordable. Its not a reason to leave the community, its a reason to weed out the d-bags before they get well settled.

Locally here we had a couple, and plainly stated that if they wanted to remain welcome to the local gatherings that their bs would not be tolerated and had to stop. Now we cant literally stop someone from showing up and they know that but in general the desire to become part of a community outweighed the need to be an idiot.

Not all cases are same, but so far locally its worked well.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I dont know why everyone gets so uppity about the '12 headlights. A local guy here just got into a pretty healthy accident with his '11 sti and stated plainly that he WOULD NOT (his words.. cap'd for emphasis) order or buy a '12 just because of the headlights.

Now I respect this guy quite a bit, he's not a car newb.. but I can fix a chrome headlight bezel problem in a couple hours with some basic tools, an oven and a can of black spraypaint. Personally I dont like any chrome in the headlight or taillight housing at all.. just the colors needed by law and the light source peering out at me. But thats ME. Apparently oem's dont see it that way.
    Jeez - I love the WRX so much that if mine was totaled and I only had the 2013's to order from and they had bright pink headlights I would just make sure I also had a pair of 2011 or 2012 lights ready for me when I picked the car up. Sounds pretty obtuse, no? Like, that's not even a question for me...

Shoot I actually preferred the more subdued look of the 2010MY over the 2011s, but I couldn't get a 2010... Did that stop me from getting the 2011? No. I don't like the headlights of the 2012s, but if that's all I could get, so be it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo Noir View Post
    I love the recognition from other Scooby drivers.
    It's like a secret society where all the drivers are awesome.
    +1
    I always throw up a friendly gesture when I see another scooby driver. Most of the time I get a wave back if they see me. I almost feel like Im suppose to be waving to other drivers. Just because we have great cars...