WRX Sparks many reactions from different people - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX Sparks many reactions from different people within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by thatderekguy Should have seen the faces of everyone walking out of the always crowded movie theater in ...

Quote Originally Posted by thatderekguy View Post
    Should have seen the faces of everyone walking out of the always crowded movie theater in my town when I cruise by with catless open downpipe. loool
    Noise for the sake of noise. Sweet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Noise for the sake of noise. Sweet.
    Is there anything better on a car? I hope he also has a giant coffee can exhaust to go along with it for the best sound!!!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

After a week with my WRX I have had almost all the same experiences. Oh and lots of other WRX and STI drivers waving at me on the freeway. This is my first Subaru, I love the community so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanized DNA View Post
    After a week with my WRX I have had almost all the same experiences. Oh and lots of other WRX and STI drivers waving at me on the freeway. This is my first Subaru, I love the community so far.
    I love the recognition from other Scooby drivers.
    It's like a secret society where all the drivers are awesome.
    When in doubt, frag out.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo Noir View Post
    I love the recognition from other Scooby drivers.
    It's like a secret society where all the drivers are awesome.
    Except that a lot of the other 3rd generation guys, mainly the 2012s, don't seem to realize they joined up. I wave at them, and nothing other than a glare or some retarded look half the time. And it's not like I'm driving an '04 that you can't tell is a similar vehicle (because they are obviously morons), I'm in an '11, it looks the same.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    There are also a few of those fools around here, that want to race a lifted Cummins, Power Stroke, or Duramax on city roads...one or two with really loud VTA BOVs

Though, I have to admit, I have seen a few at the drag strip that are seriously quick.
    bov on a oil burner is stupid. There's no need for one on an engine design that DOESN'T have a throttle plate to close causing backpressure in the intake that might need to be bled off. *shakes head* effin bumpkins. VA beach has a good amount of these jackasses rolling around. I dont race on the street, but on a few occaisions one of these has attempted to get a rise. I usually call the police and report em.

As for community subaru reaction, there is a healthy subaru community here and we all support each other. Nods upon sightings or listing sightings on local forums are pretty common. Odd random run in's with my car and non-subie types doesn't happen often though. Likely because its debadged and all blacked out. Unless you know what you're looking at its somewhat hard to ID. My nextdoor nieghbor's kid thinks its a beast (he knows what it is), he smiles and gives thumbs up when I roll by.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    I'm in an '11, it looks the same.
    Doesn't matter. Their 2011 WRX is the fastest thing on the road. You trying' to race, brah??
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    As for community subaru reaction, there is a healthy subaru community here and we all support each other. Nods upon sightings or listing sightings on local forums are pretty common. Odd random run in's with my car and non-subie types doesn't happen often though. Likely because its debadged and all blacked out. Unless you know what you're looking at its somewhat hard to ID. My nextdoor nieghbor's kid thinks its a beast (he knows what it is), he smiles and gives thumbs up when I roll by.
    Don't get me wrong, the rest of the Subie community here is cool enough to wave/what-not, but it seems like the '12 guys are d-bags.
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Doesn't matter. Their 2011 WRX is the fastest thing on the road. You trying' to race, brah??
    I don't even.... I'll assume sarcasm, I think.....

FWIW - Just about every year of owners has said the generation after them are worse than theirs. Stick around, you'll see it a lot over the years.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    I don't even.... I'll assume sarcasm, I think.....
    It seems that the influx of '11 owners has brought about the "Ken Block" disorder, where most 3G owners believe that their WRX is faster than just about, well, everything on the road... blah blah and gratuitous use of the word "brah." I'm not saying that's you, it's just common.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I think every car enthusiast group faces the same problem of new people getting their hands on the cars and not understanding the heritage or camaraderie. You should see the looks I get from d-bags in 350 and 370zs when I wave at them from my 280z. It is obvious that they have no clue that I am also in a z car, or that z guys (at least early z guys) are generally a friendly enthusiast group. Yet when I wave at a rex from the z I always get a thumbs up and a wave back. Now obviously there are a lot of great z guys driving 350s and 370s, it's just a shame that so many people that drive them think that the car started with the 350 in 2003. I think it takes a few years for the wannabe racers to get weeded out so only the true enthusiasts remain. At least that is what I tend to see, brah.
    Last edited by jas280z; 05-03-2012 at 09:07 PM.

It seems that the influx of '11 owners has brought about the "Ken Block" disorder, where most 3G owners believe that their WRX is faster than just about, well, everything on the road... blah blah and gratuitous use of the word "brah." I'm not saying that's you, it's just common.
    Ah, gotcha. Nope, I know there are definitely faster vehicles out there, but then again, a majority of those vehicles won't be able to keep up in the areas I'm happiest in. Have noticed a lot of these semi-ricerish behaviors in a lot of the newer crowd, whether they are in a '12 or an '04, it's there. Granted I've only had mine a little over a year, I avoid there retardation if I'm able to.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Re: 2011/12 owners being d-bags:

I think what you guys need to understand is that 99% of the people out there think that a Subaru is a car for granolas with dogs that live in Durango, CO. Now I personally, being "in the know", have admired and respected the look and performance of the STI since its inception. But I'm also the type of person that tries to be conscious of the common perception on things; seeing things from outside of my box - and even as somebody who has admired the STI, it -- quite frankly -- looked like a 1997 4-door Toyota Tercel with a Batmobile fin on the back. I would have loved to have one, but I understand the general perception also.

Then came the 2008 MY. The STIs looked amazing - but they were still out of the reach of many people pricewise. The WRX, however, now looked like a Golf or something because it lacked the flares that gave it a look of "oomph." I don't want a Golf. 2009 came in with more power and handling changes, and this continued through 2010. Kudos: things are looking up.

Then came the 2011 MY. Wait wait WAIT - the affordable WRX now has crazy good performance AND the looks of the STI? Sold. Please just take my money.

I have been waiting for exactly the car that I just bought: 2012 DGM WRX. It's quite honestly my dream car. And I mean "dream car" in a way that it needs to replace every function that I need in a car and still be insanely fun to drive, have high reliability, low maintenance costs, and great safety ratings. I could afford more than twice this car, but I'm being reasonable here.

That said, I wave to every Subaru I see: Forester, Impreza, Outback, WRX, STI, whatever. I get plenty of waves back, and it's super fun to see people give these cars the recognition that they deserve. Just today on my way home, some guy in a beat up old Celica nearly broke his neck checking out my car as we passed each other in traffic. I chuckled a little at his reaction and waved back.

I love my car, and I love this community.

EDIT: I don't want it to sound like I'm bashing anybody who has purchased any Subaru at all. They're amazing cars. My comments above are spoken from my "outside the box" mentality. Maybe I have multiple personalities...
    Last edited by etnpnys; 05-04-2012 at 06:44 AM.
    "Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."
    -Van Helsing, from Bram Stoker's ​Dracula

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah they are faster than most cars froma dig, and brah is just a retarded word
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I'm surprised at how many people wave at most/all Subaru's and get waves back. In my year or so in a Subaru I've never been waved at by a non WRX/STI, and there are Subaru's everywhere here (perhaps that's part of the reason why people don't wave?...).

8 months in a WRX waving at every other WRX/STI I see I ended up with about 5-6 waves back. That's sorta pitiful seeing that I see about 3 of them a day on average. 2 weeks in an STI and I've gotten 3 waves already. Who knows the reasoning behind that. Of all the waves I've gotten back almost all of them were 10-12 models so maybe things are reversed around here.
    2012 PBP Limited STI
    2002 Aspen White WRX Wagon, Stage 1