I Need Opinions

View Poll Results: Which Engine Would You Get?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • ej205

4 21.05%
  • ej207

5 26.32%
  • ej257

14 73.68%
  • Other Engine (including boobs)

6 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on I Need Opinions within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm having a heck of a time deciding on an engine, so what would you do?... Here is the scenario: ...

I Need Opinions

I'm having a heck of a time deciding on an engine, so what would you do?...

Here is the scenario:

2002 WRX that needs an engine.

This car is not going to be built for maximum horse power - it's a daily driver. It's also an automatic.

Money is not a factor.

Which engine would you put in it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you doing any work to the transmission? If money isn't an issue I'd build or do a 6speed swap and personally I like to be different so I'd source a JDM 2.0 STi

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I want it automatic (I know, I've heard it all). It's on my list to get the transmission worked on, but I haven't put a lot of thought into it, really.

I found a JDM v7 that I was going to purchase, but then I wimped out because of the ECU and wiring issues. Now I'm looking at an sti swap. I can't find a ej205 anywhere, so it's really just between those two.

I'm also worried with the JDM engine about not having parts readily available. If something goes wrong in the future am I going to have issues finding replacement parts? I'm usually one to go with something outside of the norm, but I don't want to cause more issues for myself.

your not into the EJ255?
    - Nicky -
    2006 WRX Steel Gray
    23:4--3:6--27:1

If you want to retain your Automatic Transmission then you need to retain the stock ECU. The 4EAT's shifting program is built in to the ECU. Just something to keep in mind.

If your heads are in good shape (IE not damaged), then I would have them polished, and installed on an EJ257 block, then have a custom tune (protune or whatever) done to the ECU.

Also install a high stall torque converter.

Edit: The only difference between the EJ255 and the EJ257 short blocks is the pistons.
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 02-13-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gator View Post
    your not into the EJ255?
    Never even looked into it. Great.. now I have something else to research? My brain is going to blow up lol

Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    If you want to retain your Automatic Transmission then you need to retain the stock ECU. The 4EAT's shifting program is built in to the ECU. Just something to keep in mind.

If your heads are in good shape (IE not damaged), then I would have them polished, and installed on an EJ257 block, then have a custom tune (protune or whatever) done to the ECU.

Also install a high stall torque converter.
    Very interesting about the auto trans. I have not heard that. That may be the answer to all my questions.

I don't want to keep anything from this car. 260,000 miles of zero maintenance as far as I can tell - I'd rather just replace it all including the heads, which I don't think are good anyway. I'm going to be dropping a complete engine in there no matter which way I go. I'm also going to be porting and polishing as well as tuning it myself.

Thanks!

Well, I'm not finding anything researching the auto transmission JDM ECU thing, but I think I'm just going to just take your word for it and let you take all the credit for making this decision WAY easier for me.

ej257 here we come!

Thank you!!!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gator View Post
    your not into the EJ255?
    Ej255 is relatively the same price as a 257 without the nitride crank, semi forged rods and semi forged pistons

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

oh i didnt realize they were close in price. I asssumed the 255 was alot cheaper.
    - Nicky -
    2006 WRX Steel Gray
    23:4--3:6--27:1

I Support ClubWRX
    Hate to sound like a fuddy duddy but I would keep it stock and drive the wheels off it for another 100k+ miles having good resale value and reliability. It's a automatic daily driver anyway. If money is no object I'd start a different project ip of bigger proportions... The first brz turbo or a Shelby cobra sti swap or something. Of course it's your baby so do what you think is best!

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    Hate to sound like a fuddy duddy but I would keep it stock and drive the wheels off it for another 100k+ miles having good resale value and reliability. It's a automatic daily driver anyway. If money is no object I'd start a different project ip of bigger proportions... The first brz turbo or a Shelby cobra sti swap or something. Of course it's your baby so do what you think is best!
    I don't think you sound like a fuddy duddy, but I don't think it's really as easy as that. I actually can't find an ej205 complete engine anywhere to keep it stock. That's the entire reason I started looking at other engines in the first place. It'll actually be more work and cost more to rebuild the engine or buy a new short block to 'keep it stock' than it would to buy a complete used engine and drop it in.

It may be a daily driver, but that doesn't mean I'm keeping it anywhere near stock. I just don't want to build it to the point where it's not a comfortable daily driver anymore. It's an automatic because I have a bad left knee and can not push a clutch pedal. That's a requirement for me, not a downfall of the car.

I also just purchased (well, got for free) this car specifically for a project, so it's not like it's been my DD for years and I just blew the engine. This is something I want to be a significant project.

I really appreciate all of the opinions! This forum has really helped me make some significant decisions in this build already and I'm sure it'll continue to help until I'm done.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I think you ought to build a 2.1L long-stroke motor (92mm over-bored EJ205 or EJ207 block and 79mm STi nitrided crankshaft). Get some Eagle rods and Cosworth forged pistons. Seriously. That build will spool a turbo as fast as the 2.5L thanks to the long-stroke, and give it the oomph down-low that the EJ205 lacks from AVCS. Get some 2002-2005 WRX heads with a good PnP job and you'll have an amazing machine.

This is what I want to do some day

EDIT: If you can find an EJ207 case, I'd go with that... the EJ207 has the semi-closed deck design (not that this would truly matter at power levels < 500whp) and better oil journals/thrust bearing design.
    Last edited by zax; 02-13-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I think you ought to build a 2.1L long-stroke motor (92mm over-bored EJ205 or EJ207 block and 79mm STi nitrided crankshaft). Get some Eagle rods and Cosworth forged pistons. Seriously. That build will spool a turbo as fast as the 2.5L thanks to the long-stroke, and give it the oomph down-low that the EJ205 lacks from AVCS. Get some 2002-2005 WRX heads with a good PnP job and you'll have an amazing machine.

This is what I want to do some day

EDIT: If you can find an EJ207 case, I'd go with that... the EJ207 has the semi-closed deck design (not that this would truly matter at power levels < 500whp) and better oil journals/thrust bearing design.
    That sounds like an awesome setup, but also a lot of work, at least time consuming to get that all going. I am using this car as my DD and I want to get an engine in there ASAP. I hate my rental car and want to drop it off sooner than later, so the idea of a complete swap is pretty appealing. Plus, I don't really want to get too carried away. I have a major lead foot already. I don't really need all that oomph I think I'd enjoy it too much.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Ej255 is relatively the same price as a 257 without the nitride crank, semi forged rods and semi forged pistons
    both have forged rods, and hypercast pistons (hypereutectic)
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast