I Need Opinions - Page 3

View Poll Results: Which Engine Would You Get?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • ej205

4 21.05%
  • ej207

5 26.32%
  • ej257

14 73.68%
  • Other Engine (including boobs)

6 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on I Need Opinions within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I voted for all of them. You should fit all of those motors in there. Then you'll have an H12....

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I voted for all of them. You should fit all of those motors in there. Then you'll have an H12.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    August of 2009, when I got mine done. Still drives great....but I have to admit: If I'd known the final cost, I may have given more thought to selling the car and getting something else.

OTOH, I <3 my wagon. 10 years old, practical, safe, and can pull hard on my co-worker's brand new GLI in 2nd gear. Not that I'd know that for a fact, of course...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Lets take a look:

EJ257

pros

* can be bought off the shelf
    * makes lots of torque
    * reliability and longevity in stock form
    * good Daily driving
    * make a ton of power

cons

* not a bolt in swap
    * need new harness
    * need new ecu
    * need new fuel system
    * build that tranny
    * might need new tranny harness
    * never came with an AT hooked to it factory
    * drive by wire, need to change out gas pedal, TB, etc
    * new engine harness needed
    Thanks for all the super helpful info from all of you, but this one scared me a bit.

I was aware of some of these items, but not all. Do I really need a new fuel system for the ej257 swap? Drive by wire and gas pedal? These are new to me.

Please explain.

STI engines used electronically controlled throttles as opposed to the traditional gas pedal-connected-to-a-cable that engaged the plate in the throttle body. You'd have to swap all that stuff out with it from your car if you decided to change the throttle system, ergo also needing the new harness.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    Thanks for all the super helpful info from all of you, but this one scared me a bit.

I was aware of some of these items, but not all. Do I really need a new fuel system for the ej257 swap? Drive by wire and gas pedal? These are new to me.

Please explain.
    The ej257 being a bigger engine came factory with larger injectors. You'll want to change your fuel pump regardless. Mikie13 spelled it out right.

Again, the EJ257 never came with an AT so idk what you'd need to do to get a stock EJ257 computer to get it to work with a 4EAT.

Also the EJ255 and EJ257 heads came with AVCS (active valve control) where as the EJ205 did not. That is one of the reasons for simplicity, the hybrid is a good option. Another is not having to swap to DBW, pedal, engine harness.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post

Please explain.
    Hybrid will get rid of every single problem on that cons list with the exception of the fuel system. Which is an easy fix since all you'll need is a pump, and injectors. The rest is just fine.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    EJ207 (JDM STi 2.0l) would be fun but is far less suitable for DD. It has a higher redline and makes power that way, vs the 2.5s which will have much better low end torque. In the end they are basically equivelant performers, but the driving characteristics will be very different. Plus all the extra modifications to run it.

The only two reasonable options are stock or hybrid.

If you want to be hardcore and go to all the trouble of a full 257 or 207 swap etc., get the 90's legacy 2.2t block which is closed deck.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'm telling you... a 2.1L stroker build will make a LOT more torque than the EJ205 stock. Consider it as you can use your stock block.

There are a few people on NASIOC running this setup... one was making 330whp and 356wtq (at only 3500 rpm!) on a TD05-18G!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

zax

Facebook me here

I wish I wasn't in such a hurry because I would really consider that group buy. I've been looking for a super cheap car to drive while I build this thing, but at tax time that's one hell of a challenge. Evidently everyone else is looking for a cheap car too.

If I had to pay for a rental car the whole time I waited for, and put together another option, I probably wouldn't be able to afford the engine

I keep going back and forth and just can't seem to make up my mind. I wish I could just find a cheap car to buy so I could take my time and build something different.

Anyone have any cheap cars for sale in the Colorado area? Has to be an automatic.

I Support ClubWRX
    For the price of a small car, you can take the subi into a shop or even the dealer and either have your ej205 rebuilt or have a new one swapped in, and your mods put on at the same time.

Unless ofcourse you just want to work on a project.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Just learn to drive manual.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

What is your total budget for everything (engine, install, parts, possible extra car)?

There are cars CO that are said to be functional and cost less than $1000 (Tercel) (Volvo), albeit not pretty choices.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleJeremy View Post
    What is your total budget for everything (engine, install, parts, possible extra car)?

There are cars CO that are said to be functional and cost less than $1000 (Tercel) (Volvo), albeit not pretty choices.
    I really don't have a budget. I traded in my Jeep and got rid of $16,000 of debt that felt pretty good. I've joked that as long as I don't spend that much I'm ahead of the game. In reality, I don't mind putting money into the car, but I don't want to get too carried away. I was willing to pay $7000 today to drop if off at the shop, but I'm still waiting to hear back from them on actual costs.

I called about both of those cars and they're already sold, just like every other car I find on CL. I can hit refresh every 3 minutes and call as soon as one's posted and I'm 15th in line. It's nuts. I've offered more than they're asking for some down right hideous cars with no success.

My original theory was, if I found a cheap car I could take my time and not stress out anymore about finding an engine. Then, when I'm done I could always sell the car I bought.. as long as I didn't blow that up too. Since I'm having zero luck finding any car at all I'm not thinking that's going to happen.

In reality, if I rent this car for months it actually costs me less per month than my Jeep payment was. I just hate this car.

Right now I have found a complete ej207 for $3400, and a complete ej257 for $3600. I can not find a complete ej205 anywhere.

My shop quoted me $6200 for a brand new ej205 short block and everything fixed and working again. I'm still waiting on the exact quote from them on putting in a complete ej257 (their engine). I'm very tempted to just drop it off and let them do it as long as they don't come back with too ridiculous of a price.

I just have too much going on right now, really. I just decided to leave my job, so I'm interviewing at jobs, looking for an engine, and looking for a car. My brain pretty much blew up days ago. I bought this car knowing it was going to be a project, but I didn't realize everything in my life was going to change within a 2 day period. I'm also really sick of looking at my pile-o-parts that are going on this car once I get an engine.

zax
    The issue with the EJ207 or EJ257 longblock is that the cost of the supporting parts/fabrication/and install will likely exceed the price of the engine. If you can retain the EJ205 intake mani and get AVCS plugs you may be able to use the full EJ257 longblock on your stock ECU. The EJ207 longblock will need a JDM ECU and it will not be street legal anywhere in the US.

Facebook me here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast