Speaker Changing Question About a 2012 STi
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Speaker Changing Question About a 2012 STi within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I'm thinking about replacing the speakers in my STi, mostly due to the fact that I think the stereo ...

Speaker Changing Question About a 2012 STi

So I'm thinking about replacing the speakers in my STi, mostly due to the fact that I think the stereo is pretty sub-par sounding. (I don't want some pumping bass system, I have a four-year old after all, and I'm a bit older than 18. Rather, I'm a huge music fan, so I would like a clear, full sound while I'm driving on the long trips my family frequently takes.) After reading a bit on this forum about it, I'm concerned that the only way to replace the speakers with anything decent is to get spacers, modify the speakers, etc... I was considering doing this myself, but if I need to modify things, I think I'll pass.

Does anyone have any info on doing this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Get the speakers you like & get the spacers online.Not much modification is necessary.

You may need to modify the tweeter sails to fit aftermarket tweeters.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    An aftermarket H/U will provide more power to the speakers, and add some EQ adjustability for fine-tuning.

A subwoofer will take the lows away from the speakers and allow them to focus on the mids/highs. You can dial this down so it's not causing the car to shake/rattle.

Aftermarket speakers will often require a spacer due to their increased depth (you can buy shallow-depth speakers, but I'd just buy a set of spacers for the $40 or so and be done with it).

I would not reuse the OE tweeter location if you go with components (which you should); I would install them in the A-Pillar or kick panels.
    Last edited by EJ257; 02-07-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

The previous owner of my STI was a 50 year old gentleman who put a full Focal component system in with 2 10 inch JL Subwoofers...I doubt he was going around blasting bass...

Subwoofers are necessary for providing adequate lows in an otherwise poor acoustically set up theatre.

Matt is right with the head unit...stock units are notorious for being underpowered. Underpowering aftermarket speakers can potentially do more harm than good.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    This is what's in the back of my wagon. I'm 45 years old, but having a sub there really helps the other speakers to focus on their jobs, IMO.

I've yet to own a car with an adequate factory system, though I know that they exist. I've replaced HU (Alpine), Fronts (Polk), and the sub in this wagon.

CretinFest, Yo!

--Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Thanks for all the responses guys, much appreciated. So is it possible to replace the head unit with an aftermarket unit on a 2012 STi AND keep the steering wheel controls?

Or would it just be better/easier to put in some type of amp to boost up the stock head unit?

Yes, absolutely possible to keep the steering wheel controls. Metra Axxess SWC adapter is what you would want for that.
    2011 WRX Limited - Dark Grey Metallic
    [Cobb stage 2 93+ SF Intake] [Invidia Catted DP] [SMY Gauge Cluster w/Boost and Volt Gauges] [Monkeybone Racing Heater Vent Gauge Panel w/Oil Pressure and Temp Gauges]
    [Cobb Heatshield] [Kartboy SS] [Weathertech Floorliners] [Hardwired V1 w/Remote Display] [Complete Aftermarket Audio System] [Lighted WRX fender badges]

While I was swapping out the stock system on my 2011 STi, I put in the head unit first and found that the stock speakers are pretty decent if you give them more power. I had already bought the rest of the sound system so I put it in, but start with a head-unit before you change your speakers.

And I second the Metra Axxess it works great.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.