CV boot just ripped, replace just boot or whole axle? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Replace whole axle or boot?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Whole axle

1 10.00%
  • boot only

4 40.00%
  • whole axle + yea for teh bewbs

5 50.00%
  • boot only + teh yea for bewbs

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on CV boot just ripped, replace just boot or whole axle? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Shipping definitely adds to the cost but it was far less than I expected. The website was useless - email ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Shipping definitely adds to the cost but it was far less than I expected. The website was useless - email or call.

They are GTG.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I think I have found my course of action.

Called my local subi tuner (the same one that tuned my car and I buy parts from), for a parts quote (since he deals with the dealership he gets and passes along a discount, plus he stocks a lot of parts). The parts were $30 but I still need pliers $50, or he said he'd replace it for $150, today. Done.

FWIW he said the pass side goes first because of the exhaust heat, and that he replaces the pass side inner 2 to 1 to drivers side inner.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    FWIW he said the pass side goes first because of the exhaust heat, and that he replaces the pass side inner 2 to 1 to drivers side inner.
    I believe this fully.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well ended up getting both the drivers and passenger side inner boots replaced. Ran me $239 after taxes. I'm glad I took it to my local subi tuner, the pass side axle wouldn't come out of the hub. They new how to disassemble the axle in place and replace the boot anyways, I would have been there pissed and pounding on it forever.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    ...the pass side axle wouldn't come out of the hub. They new how to disassemble the axle in place and replace the boot anyways, I would have been there pissed and pounding on it forever.
    My theory has to do with sprinklers hitting the passenger side when the car is parked, and more water on the right side of the road with the car is moving. You really missed out on the pounding and swearing bit, it was exhilarating, like chicken soup for the soul. The smell of PB Blaster, the metallic clanking, the yelling...
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    My theory has to do with sprinklers hitting the passenger side when the car is parked, and more water on the right side of the road with the car is moving. You really missed out on the pounding and swearing bit, it was exhilarating, like chicken soup for the soul. The smell of PB Blaster, the metallic clanking, the yelling...
    Oh I just missed out this time. I have been there a couple times on other cars. If I have to replace the clutch this year, I'll be dealing with it then. Interesting to note, my Subi shop recommends the exedy clutch kit.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX

Got an email response from MWE

I sent an email yesterday before I decided to have the boots done locally, thought I'd post it for future search reference. 2005-2009 axles are $195 each plus $35 shipping for one $55 shipping for two. He said there was currently no core charge on these axles.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    With no core charge those are a safe bet, since the owner can keep the original axle and just rebuild that if for some reason the MWE isn't as good as it's said to be -- but I have no doubt they're good, the people recommending them have been reputable on the sites.

I Support ClubWRX
    $195 - is that a typo? Sheesh, I'm glad the older ones are well less than half that!
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    $195 - is that a typo? Sheesh, I'm glad the older ones are well less than half that!
    Not a typo.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12