what mods can i make and still keep my warente?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on what mods can i make and still keep my warente? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just wondering if u guys know what add on's u can put on the new sti's and still keep your ...

what mods can i make and still keep my warente?

Just wondering if u guys know what add on's u can put on the new sti's and still keep your warente?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    floormats, airfresheners, window tint

honestly, if you are worried about your warranty, dont modify your car. not saying that mods XYZ will void it, but it could cause a claim to be denied.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I suggest reading up on the Magnuson-Moss Act. The short of it is that the dealership can deny your warranty if they can prove that your mods caused something to fail.

For example, if you put an after market stereo in your car and the alternator fries, they can cite that excessive current draw caused your alternator to fail, and you'd be paying for the alternator out of pocket. Going further, if you reprogram the ECU and blow the engine, they can deny your warranty claim saying that your overly aggressive tune caused the engine to pop. Even further, if you put a non-Subaru short shifter in the car and you break the forks, they can say that your short shifter caused the damage.

My point? If you do something that could technically be viewed as causing a component to fail, expect to be paying out of pocket for it.

I Support ClubWRX
    You will learn to forget about the warranty with time.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    I suggest reading up on the Magnuson-Moss Act. The short of it is that the dealership can deny your warranty if they can prove that your mods caused something to fail.

For example, if you put an after market stereo in your car and the alternator fries, they can cite that excessive current draw caused your alternator to fail, and you'd be paying for the alternator out of pocket. Going further, if you reprogram the ECU and blow the engine, they can deny your warranty claim saying that your overly aggressive tune caused the engine to pop. Even further, if you put a non-Subaru short shifter in the car and you break the forks, they can say that your short shifter caused the damage.

My point? If you do something that could technically be viewed as causing a component to fail, expect to be paying out of pocket for it.
    talk to your dealer. let them know what you are wanting to do. the dealer i am at is very mod friendly. But remember its SOA who denies or warrants the claim. but its the tech who SOA relies on to give them the information regarding the claim it self.

gunz4me referenced the Magnuson-Moss act which many use as to say, if you mod it they can deny it. (not that you did gunz) but in the examples given by gunz, SOA cannot just simply say oh the forks are bent the short shifter did it. In adjudicating any federal or state regulation, the burden of proof always lies with those who are leveling the charges. You also, under law, carry the benefit of assumption. Which means you have to prove nothing. You can drive your car without any oil and drive it around town and take it under warranty. SOA would HAVE to prove under the Magnuson act, that is what exactly happened. And you under the "benefit of assumption"(Blacks law) can walk in and say, "Hmmm not sure what happened"

The short end of it is, if you install a short shifter, and the forks bent, SOA would have to undeniably prove( and our standards or criterion of proof are tough in this country ) that over time a short shifter can in fact damage the forks. and in that case you could go back to the company you bought the short shifter from and ultimately get them to pay for it. Our legal system gives a lot of benefit and protection to the consumer. And let me say, I dont necessarily agree with any or all of what i just wrote.

Even so, talk to the dealer and let them know your plans and consult with the techs.
    2011 OBP WRX::Invidia Catless DP::Cobb CAI::TP 93 STG2::KB STS::Perrin Sways::

Yeah I have had good luck in the past with every thing else I have owned but never had any major problems eather. Just wondering if any of u have had issues getting some thing warrantyed that u had put an intake and cat back on? Thanks for your input.

I Support ClubWRX
    The best person to talk to about SOA warranties would be Torque.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Road glide View Post
    Yeah I have had good luck in the past with every thing else I have owned but never had any major problems eather. Just wondering if any of u have had issues getting some thing warrantyed that u had put an intake and cat back on? Thanks for your input.
    every dealer is different. your absolute best bet is to speak with the dealer you plan on taking your car to. We have all had great experiences and we have all had ****ty experiences. go talk to those guys.
    2011 OBP WRX::Invidia Catless DP::Cobb CAI::TP 93 STG2::KB STS::Perrin Sways::

Ok thanks I will give them a call.

I Support ClubWRX
    You purchased a Performance based vehicle. You will be lucky if your dealer warranties the car in 100% stock form. Some dealers are great and will warranty. Some will void your warranty if your interior smells of fart.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I just want to know what the hell is this warranty thing y'all keep talking about? Im pretty sure that I haven't had one of them since about a month after I bought my car hahahahaha.

I have a t-shirt from Think Geek that reads "I void warranties" because I usually do.

I've been known to put aftermarket sound systems in ALL my vehicles and to date, only one had an alternator burn up. So... what i did was remove any traces of being able to see the power wire under the hood, drive to the dealership, and have them replace it under warranty. Dishonest? Maybe, but I didn't want to hear that a pair of Rockford Fosgate Punch 250a2 amplifiers caused the alternator to burn up on my F150 that came with a high output alternator from the factory.

Yeah that's kinda what I figured!! And also y I had to ask... Hopefully I wouldent have to use it any way!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sjcurtis View Post
    I just want to know what the hell is this warranty thing y'all keep talking about? Im pretty sure that I haven't had one of them since about a month after I bought my car hahahahaha.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    I suggest reading up on the Magnuson-Moss Act.
    I disagree (though I see we agree in the end, I am "disagreeing" because it helps me point out that the M-M Act is IMO useless for consumers). The M-M Act has helped producers of imitation parts, but it has not helped car owners. After all, it was instigated at the behest of producers of imitation parts.

The short of it is that the dealership can deny your warranty if they can prove that your mods caused something to fail.
    Let's talk through this. Help me with this conversation:

Me: Hi, I have modified my car. I have a warranty claim. Fix my car.
    Dealer: No.
    Me: But the M-M Act says you must prove my modifications have caused a failure before denying me warranty coverage.
    Dealer: No.
    Me: Please fill in the blank, with info on who will fix my car while I'm disputing imitation parts with the dealer.

That's the problem. The M-M stuff is great for companies that want to flood the market with imitation and unauthorized parts, but none of these companies will fix somebody's car while a warranty dispute is taking place.

Use authorized, authentic parts, or be prepared to have a car that doesn't work and a dispute with which whoever made or sold imitation parts will not actually help.

Here we are in full agreement. Well said IMO.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.