Breaking in a new WRX engine - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Breaking in a new WRX engine within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by jwongx27 wait i was looking thru manual. It doesn't say anything about breaking it in properly. Your ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jwongx27 View Post
    wait i was looking thru manual. It doesn't say anything about breaking it in properly.
    Your owner's manual does not instruct you on proper break-in? Mine has a prominent section. The gist is to not exceed 4K rpm, and to not maintain constant rpm for the first 1k miles. Yours may vary if you have a different model year.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Read the manual but you should be redlining it once every 100 miles or so.

The manual says exactly this...
    For sure, thats where I got it from. I was only saying that this is something that I would have never thought of, and didnt pay attention to with my last Subaru. I put 1000 miles on my last car in a few days almost entirely on the freeway. Wish I wouldnt have done that, but luckily I didnt have any issues (that I know of)

I Support ClubWRX
    It is unlikely you will have issues.

One reason the expert opinions and associated mythology about break-in persist IMO is that most modern motors do OK despite, not because, of the advice...

I tend to follow manufacturer instructions since I'm vested in trusting them -- after all I have already given them thousands of dollars, trusting their car will hold together. May be faulty logic, and may ignore vast manufacturer conspiracies to reduce their warranty claims without regard for longer-term longevity (this is a not infrequent criticism of trusting the manual...) but it has worked OK so far...
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Kk thanks I saw a lil thing saying 1,200 miles on page 11 or 10 for maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It is unlikely you will have issues.

One reason the expert opinions and associated mythology about break-in persist IMO is that most modern motors do OK despite, not because, of the advice...

I tend to follow manufacturer instructions since I'm vested in trusting them -- after all I have already given them thousands of dollars, trusting their car will hold together. May be faulty logic, and may ignore vast manufacturer conspiracies to reduce their warranty claims without regard for longer-term longevity (this is a not infrequent criticism of trusting the manual...) but it has worked OK so far...
    I have a question about breaking in the car. I am actually picking up my 2013 wrx sedan today and in about two weeks I am driving from Northern California to Souther California for school taking about 6-7 hours of driving. I heard that you should keep it under 4k RPM, under 55 MPH and what not and my question is regarding whether it is good for the car driving on the highway for a long period of time.

I Support ClubWRX
    The instructions for mine only said to vary RPM, not use cruise control, and stay below 4K. You should be fine since tis is all feasible on the freeway.

Hit the rev-limiter every other shift, try to make many short distance trips, and don't forget to rotate your oil and replace your muffler bearings often.

Or, you could do what SD_GR said. To each their own.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12