Noob Question - Stock tires in cold weather
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Noob Question - Stock tires in cold weather within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Is it ok to drive the 2012 wrx's stock tires in dry conditions below 30 degrees? Im probably going to ...

Noob Question - Stock tires in cold weather

Is it ok to drive the 2012 wrx's stock tires in dry conditions below 30 degrees?
    Im probably going to get mine in Feburary and I want to drive my current car when there is a potential for snow so I dont have to swap tires until next winter.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    I believe '12s come with summer tires. Any pure summer compound will lose performance under 40 degrees. This will obviously lower your grip and could cause additional wear. It is doable just be safe about it
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^^ what he said.The summer tires lose grip below 40 degrees & wear faster.The car will not go anywhere on the summers in the snow.There is no traction,braking & handling in the snow on summers..

Just get a cheap set of steelies(used or new) & look for used winters with low miles(try craigslist or the forums) if you do not feel like spending much.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Yea they do come with summer tires. Darn, I guess ill just have to swap tires for a few months. Its going to be hard for me to wait till Feburary to get one, let alone till the winter's over. Ha

I Support ClubWRX
    I am not much of a fan of all seasons but if you are alright with them try this guy's all seasons .4 New Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V)-$400
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Yea thanks!
    I'm gonna get winter tires. Id hate to get over a foot of snow or have another blizzard and not have winter tires on.

I see alot of people go down to smaller tires for winter. Even 16 inch steelies. How do I know which rims will fit properly before I buy?

I Support ClubWRX
    Going down a tire size is what is reccommended.I have a 16 inch.

The narrower the tire the less effort needed to drive through snow.Although this would be of more help when you drive through snow & not in the dry..Plus 16 inch tires are cheaper.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Winter tires are worth the investment. With them on these cars are great in bad conditions, and once you buy the first set you ultimately add life to both sets before replacement. I stuck with 17s because I still want as much grip as possible when conditions are good (most of the time), and the 17s did great in the slippery stuff for me.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Hi thanks for the reply.

2005 Subaru Impreza Sti wheels with dunlop wintersport m3 tires

Those 05 STI rims would fit a 2011/2012 wrx right?
    I dont think 600 is a bad price. Might get those for winter.

Ahhh nevermind. They are 5x114 . Darn!

I Support ClubWRX
    The only STI wheels that will fit the WRXs are off 2004 STIs(5 x100 bolt pattern).There are many for sale around the forums.

Otherwise look for any 5x100.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Alrighty, thank you sir

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Going down a tire size is what is reccommended.I have a 16 inch.

The narrower the tire the less effort needed to drive through snow.Although this would be of more help when you drive through snow & not in the dry..Plus 16 inch tires are cheaper.
    Eh? That's not the reason. It's so that you have less surface area on the tire so you're not floating on top and get down to good hard snow underneath.

Personally, I think that whole reason is crap since 99.999% of people live in places where they have this thing called the snowplow and there's never much snow accumulated on roads. I'd rather have a wider tire because you're driving on packed snow and the more surface area the more grip. Snow plowing in this country didn't use to be as good as it is today or anywhere close.

And people use smaller wheels just to save money, though sometimes people quote the reason that there's more potholes and in general rougher roads in winter so you want smaller wheels to soak up the impacts. Road conditions have vastly improved across this country in the last 20 years so the main reason for smaller wheels and tires is to save money.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I went with a set of 16" steels and Dunlop Graspics from Tire rack for my 11. Total cost mounted balanced and shipped to me was only 750. So yeah, it was mostly a money saver. Though the town I work in is redoing the sanitary sewer so lots of temporary patching on the roads in town coming toward winter, so I can't say the higher sidewall wasn't part of the logic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.