Favorite Car Magazine Poll :)

View Poll Results: What is your favorite car magazine?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • DSPORT: Import Performance + Tech Magazine

1 6.25%
  • Import Tuner

2 12.50%
  • Car and Driver

3 18.75%
  • Road & Track

5 31.25%
  • Motortrend

1 6.25%
  • Super Street

0 0%
  • Modified

1 6.25%
  • evo

0 0%
  • Project Car Magazine

0 0%
  • Other (please specify below)

3 18.75%

This is a discussion on Favorite Car Magazine Poll :) within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Whats your fav car mag?...

Post Favorite Car Magazine Poll :)

Whats your fav car mag?
    Stink-Eye Mob #41

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Car and Driver is the only dedicated car mag I read. Also read Popular Mechanics from time to time.

Sent from my CM7 Nook Color!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Car and Driver and Autoweek get both

I Support ClubWRX
    They're rubbish these days.

I remember when Quattroruote had rallye coverage by Walter Roehrl, and F1 coverage by Nelson Piquet. This means the coverage was from actual contestants in the events themselves. That's unbeatable perspective.

I also remember when Car had articles by LJK Setright. The Right Setright.

Car and Driver and Road and Track haven't been relevant in several decades, and have always been too provincial to be meaningful IMO. Exception: Road and Track had occasional interesting "About the Sport" segments by Paul Frere. Car used to be fun. Performance Car used to be fun. Auto Motor und Sport used to be fun. No more.

Now... They're only good for waiting rooms. Since my teeth are in great shape and I only visit my dentist annually, I don't read car magazines (she won't either soon; she's switching to National Geographic and such). Subscribing personally is pointless, they're poorly written and have no actual news, it's all dated by the time they hit print.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 11-01-2011 at 09:26 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    whats a car magazine?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Like SD said most if not all are void of substance.Mainly wise ass comments by auto "journalists".Most car news can be found online.I used to subscribe to Car & Driver,but decided to save some trees & cancelled.

I just read online mags like 0-60 Magazine | Your Source For Cars, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Ford, and More ....Also I watch Motorweek on PBS.I know,the presentation is terrible,but at least its something..
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    whats a car magazine?
    Stink-Eye Mob #41

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Also I watch Motorweek on PBS.I know,the presentation is terrible,but at least its something..

I've always enjoyed Motorweek.. hard to believe it's been on the air longer than I've been alive.

I Support ClubWRX
    Motorweek is fun on a rainy Sunday afternoon. I liked that caravan show with that Charles guy too though, also for a rainy afternoon. He showed lots of places and travels. It's not the cars or the testing that made Motorweek interesting, it's that it was a classic show.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Out of habit I still digitally subscribe to Road and Track. (Zinio version on the iPad, the paper magazine for decades before that...)
    Truthfully, I get very little out of it, except to make me aware of what models are coming out. I'm thinking of moving to something like Popular Mechanics on the next 'goround.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Car and Driver

I Support ClubWRX
    No one has carried on with any sort of quality or at any level even approaching the all time greats. The magazines probably think it's the internet that is killing them, but it's not IMO. I stopped caring because they did. Nobody interesting is writing anything interesting in car magazines at this point.

It should be quite telling that I have been able to name several truly great authors since I was a kid, yet am unable to even attempt remembering who wrote the last article in the car magazine I read most recently (as is fitting for the "quality," at the waiting room...). I will always remember the greats.

EDIT: EXAMPLE:

http://www.amazon.com/Bristol-Cars-E...tag=acleint-20

LJKS's legendary text on Bristol. For reasons only he understood and could never quite explain in any sort of language that made remote sense, LJKS loved Bristols. He loved Hondas too, but that I can certainly understand. Anyway, he wrote about Bristols to the extent that he is considered a demi-god to Bristol fans and owners. The book is
    - Unobtainable. No copies to be found, anywhere, ever.
    - Impenetrable. Sentence constructs never seen before or since and references from Latin texts are among the easiest characteristics of LJKS to handle. You can imagine the rest.
    - Biased. Opinions are very convincingly presented as fact. To question is unthinkable; these words were written by LJKS after all. The bias convincingly comes across as dogma, or a postulate. It is not questioned. It is.

Yet despite all that LJKS wipes the floor with any "automotive journalist" I've seen printed this decade.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 11-02-2011 at 01:02 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    HotRod.

While this does focus primarily on American muscle and classics, they do have occasional stuff about imports. They covered the release of the STI in 04, and they have covered SCCA events. They also cover things like auto-crossing for the enthusiast level driver.

I mostly like it as it is geared around making your car your own, and individual ingenuity. Yes they cover pro-build rods, but they have been pushing more and more for personal hand made and 'different' stuff (like not all the same chevy small block, not the same 1st gen camero, etc.)

they also include many articles a year on how to do things yourself, which are good reads.

side-note.... for a few years they covered an event called the Maxton Mile.... a top speed shoot-out for all comers, best speed in a standing mile, run on an air strip..... one of the featured cars 2 years ago was a modded WRX (not sure if it was STI or not).
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    I read Hot Rod years ago, when I was big into Chevies. Wow, haven't picked up one of those in years!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Out of that list Import Tuner is the most solid iMO. They have great featured car articles that I enjoy reading and their pics are really nice too.

SuperStreet has great coverage but the adolescent attitude of the writing and slacker approach to the mag is just too juvenile for me.

I read Car & Driver and MotorTrend on occasion but never find anything they write about to be relevant to me at all. They're either comparing minivans or taking the latest "it" supercar through the countryside in France on a joyride. Nothing in-between....except for when they're gushing over BMW 3-series' which I have zero interest in.
    Steve // 2008 Lexus IS-F // 2011 WRX hatchback (SOLD)