Spun a bearing, need some guidance on engine replacement
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Spun a bearing, need some guidance on engine replacement within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well unfortunately, yesterday, due to an unexpected situation my stock 04' WRX (43k mi. engine) got a spun bearing. So ...

Spun a bearing, need some guidance on engine replacement

Well unfortunately, yesterday, due to an unexpected situation my stock 04' WRX (43k mi. engine) got a spun bearing. So I've decided to go ahead an replace the shortblock, my question is how much work will it take to properly replace by old 2.0 shortblock with an 2.5 Sblock? Or should I just stick with the 2.0?

Thanks in advance guys seriously. Plus, if you guys have a better plan that you think I should go with, please do tell.

Thanks again.
    Pic to soon to come ...... 19 yrs old. Drive a Subbie( Im a newbie). 3rd Year Of college going to third.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hybrid build time

While you're replacing the shortblock anyway, you might as well throw in an ej25. Just remember to use the fancy headgaskets and all that and you'll be good. This will require a tune, but that's not bad.

EDIT: btw, what oil were you using?
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    While you're replacing the shortblock anyway, you might as well throw in an ej25. Just remember to use the fancy headgaskets and all that and you'll be good. This will require a tune, but that's not bad.

EDIT: btw, what oil were you using?
    The oil I used was 5w-30 Mobil1, first time using that brand. But yea, I guess Hybrid time it is. As for the tune, since the tune is a requirement, how much is tune exactly?

-Sorry for all the questions. Its just that I have no knowledge about hybrid build and I plan on doing this sometime this week. (The money is coming from my friend who missed a shift when redlining. He's paying for the shortblock)
    Pic to soon to come ...... 19 yrs old. Drive a Subbie( Im a newbie). 3rd Year Of college going to third.

Another nail in the 5w-30 Mobil1 coffin. Don't use that stuff in Subaru engines.

What Poly˛ means by Fancy head gaskets is use the 2.5L head gaskets on the 2.5L block and the 2.0L heads.

Here is some information to get you started.
    Hybrid build/rebuild info - Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Sorry to hear man, glad I switched from M1...
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

Mobil1 is good oil, but it runs thin. If you do use it, only use 0w-40 or 5w-40.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nunez07c View Post
    Well unfortunately, yesterday, due to an unexpected situation my stock 04' WRX (43k mi. engine) got a spun bearing.
    Not the original engine? Go hybrid. If the same happens here I'd go 2.5.

Used M1 5W-30 for 7 years. With the new 19T top end the now worrying begins.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 07-31-2011 at 06:24 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
    It'l run fine without a tune but won't be charging down the road at full potential thats my current problem

Doing a Hybrid swap requires a tune. The 2.5L engine has 25% more air to burn. That's not to say it requires 25% more fuel, but it does require a bit more.

Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
    Mine has a full still engine swap on stock wrx turbo and tune like I said not running at full but runs fine without damaging anything

You learn from your mistakes. Never doing this mistake again. But yea, how much does the tune usually cost???

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nunez07c View Post
    You learn from your mistakes. Never doing this mistake again. But yea, how much does the tune usually cost???
    Depends on what tuners you have in your area. It can be anywhere from 200-600 from what I've seen.

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Used M1 5W-30 for 7 years. With the new 19T top end the now worrying begins.
    I had been using it for about 4 years once I started hearing of all the problems.

Switched to Rotella T-6, couldn't be happier! (It's cheaper than M1, too )
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by mustangtx63 View Post
    I had been using it for about 4 years once I started hearing of all the problems.

Switched to Rotella T-6, couldn't be happier! (It's cheaper than M1, too )
    A guy at Kragen told me unless I had a diesel, the Rotella T-6 is not recommended on a Subie although I have been using it for a while now....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.