Has anyone else ever noticed your iPod Touch or iPhone get pretty darn hot when connected to the USB port in the WRX? I just tried connecting an iPod Touch today for the first time and while it played back audio just fine, it didn't seem to charge it and meanwhile the iPod itself started getting pretty hot (like the battery was heating up, possibly from it trying to charge it too quickly or something?). This was a 1st Gen iPod Touch (my 4th Gen was at home) and I normally just use a 4GB USB stick in the car, but I thought I'd see how the stock radio handled the Touch for the heck of it (and was hoping it would charge it up a bit before I got to work where I sometimes use it while working).
I just plugged the same iPod Touch in at home and in the past ten minutes it's already gone from battery low (red indicator) to over 1/3 charged (so it's not like the battery is dying or something just yet) and it's not even slightly warm so it seemed like something was definitely wrong there (it wasn't charging at all on the trip home either; it was in the low battery zone from the time I left and was still there when I got home even though the battery indicator showed the plugged in power symbol while it was plugged in). I was using the connection cord from my 4th gen Touch (since the 1st gen one is plugged into my Mac at home all the time; I have a separate charging cord in another room I usually use when I don't want to sync it and just charge it). I don't know if the 4th gen Touch would behave differently or not.
The interface feels kind of clunky to use anyway (except maybe for playlists). I like the folder controls for the USB stick better since I can organize songs in different folders either by album or mixes and quickly find them with the scroll buttons (instead of having to use the list + tune knob for the iPod).