iPod Touch Overheating When Connected to 2011 WRX USB port
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on iPod Touch Overheating When Connected to 2011 WRX USB port within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Has anyone else ever noticed your iPod Touch or iPhone get pretty darn hot when connected to the USB port ...

iPod Touch Overheating When Connected to 2011 WRX USB port

Has anyone else ever noticed your iPod Touch or iPhone get pretty darn hot when connected to the USB port in the WRX? I just tried connecting an iPod Touch today for the first time and while it played back audio just fine, it didn't seem to charge it and meanwhile the iPod itself started getting pretty hot (like the battery was heating up, possibly from it trying to charge it too quickly or something?). This was a 1st Gen iPod Touch (my 4th Gen was at home) and I normally just use a 4GB USB stick in the car, but I thought I'd see how the stock radio handled the Touch for the heck of it (and was hoping it would charge it up a bit before I got to work where I sometimes use it while working).

I just plugged the same iPod Touch in at home and in the past ten minutes it's already gone from battery low (red indicator) to over 1/3 charged (so it's not like the battery is dying or something just yet) and it's not even slightly warm so it seemed like something was definitely wrong there (it wasn't charging at all on the trip home either; it was in the low battery zone from the time I left and was still there when I got home even though the battery indicator showed the plugged in power symbol while it was plugged in). I was using the connection cord from my 4th gen Touch (since the 1st gen one is plugged into my Mac at home all the time; I have a separate charging cord in another room I usually use when I don't want to sync it and just charge it). I don't know if the 4th gen Touch would behave differently or not.

The interface feels kind of clunky to use anyway (except maybe for playlists). I like the folder controls for the USB stick better since I can organize songs in different folders either by album or mixes and quickly find them with the scroll buttons (instead of having to use the list + tune knob for the iPod).
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I tried my iPod Touch 4G. It also gets very hot when connected to the stock head unit. It did charge, though. It just seems like it shouldn't get that hot while connected. I've never had it get hot like that when connected to a wall charger at home even if I'm using it while it's connected. I think I'll stick with USB sticks in the car.
    2011 WRX Limited DGM Sedan - SPT Catback - SPT STS + Kartboy Bushings - 3M Clear Bra

The only issue ive had is on hotter days the ipod will heat up and be unable to use ( only if im in an area i dont feel safe letting my windows down for extended periods of time while parked ). other than that ive never had any issues actually driving around or anything.

I Support ClubWRX
    How are you connecting to the port? Via a wire? If so suspect that wire. The phone/pod/etc can overheat if in sunlight but other than that, it should not be doing what it's doing.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Hes connecting via USB as said in the first line of the post. I think the issue may be the fact you've only used the 1st gen and it does not want to be compatible? To my knowledge mines a 4th gen and like i said the only problem I've had was not cracking the windows enough. And to SD_GR i cant remember if i had my iPod laying out every time but I think its actually overheated hiding in the console as well? Regardless all is well after a mile down the road and the pod has time to cool down.

I've tried both 1st gen and 4th gen now using the standard 50-pin to USB Apple wire the 4th iPod came with. It has been very hot out, but the iPod is in my pocket at work, not sitting in the car. By the time I get home (~20 minutes), the back is pretty darn warm, if not 'hot'. By comparison, at home, if I connect either one to a wall charger (AC adapter to USB cord to 50-pin connector) and use it while it's charging, it stays COLD (room temperature) so that is why the 'hot' back is a bit alarming. It's like it's running too much voltage or current into it or something, more than it can handle (like say a quick charger would compared to a slower charger). I don't think it should even get warm, let alone hot.

In any case, I'm just back to using a USB stick. Navigation is simpler that way, IMO anyway. I'm eventually planning on getting a new head unit, regardless. I've been waiting to hear about a fix for the Sony 660/770BT unit for the TomTom navigation (too many reports of it stopping working every few weeks with either an update or a reset needed to get it working again; that's unacceptable, IMO). The Kenwood units I've looked at have their own issues (e.g. 25+ seconds to start up and slow interface on the newest generation unit, etc.)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.