USDM vs JDM dimention differences
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on USDM vs JDM dimention differences within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Are there major external size differences between these two market models? Because japanparts.com really likes to outline that their products ...

I Support ClubWRX

Question USDM vs JDM dimension differences

Are there major external size differences between these two market models? Because japanparts.com really likes to outline that their products are sized to JDM models only, leading to believe other markets have different dimensions. I'm interested in one item they have which they have never sold to USDM customer, but sold to Greece and Norway. Anyways, the guy from the site doesn't know if the part will fit and I'm not willing to pay four digits for a "99% sure".

So the question is how different is a 2011MY USDM GRB from 2008-09MY JDM GRB, particularly in a rear gate dimensions.

If anyone knows the answer, please feel free to shed some light on this issue

Thanks.
    Last edited by Igor103; 07-05-2011 at 07:32 AM.
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ask the guy for a measurement and then go measure the part on your car. If they match your all set.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, I've thought of that, but the area in question is the angle/shape of the rear window and I have no idea how to measure that.

Basically, top part connects with the 6 oem holes, just like the stock one does, but the bottom part might leave a gap should the window shape be different. And then the length of the door itself, could be an issue with overlapping.

This guy has some good install pix, but the car is a UK-spec Launsport 09 WRC Spoiler - a set on Flickr
    Last edited by Igor103; 07-05-2011 at 07:34 AM.
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yikes, that wing looks terrible!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Yikes, that wing looks terrible!

But... but... it's JDM!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Yeah a little harder then what I was thinking. You could still do it with string but the guy selling the part probably won't be too happy to be doing all that work. Maybe one of the guys living in japan can help you. I know there are a few on his forum.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Homologation body parts do not have to conform exactly to road car dimensions so I don't know what to tell you. For example on the Impreza model I own, the bumpers and wings do not fit an unmodified road car. Before sending money see if you can get dimensions between mounting points for the part and compare those to the same dimensions for a road car part. I know you said it uses the stock holes but you have to start somewhere. That will at least give you an idea. That they sent the part to NO and GR isn't very promising since those parts could be specifically for a homologated car. Find out mount point dimensions.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Please don't bring that to America.

Just kidding. To each their own!

I Support ClubWRX
    WRC Homologation Subaru GRB spoiler is a two part design, those we can see on any WRC Impreza S14s and on those prepared by Vermont SportsCar for US SRT. Those are strictly CF, usually Prodrive brand, very light and cost 6000 euro a pop. The one part design was intended for the road cars, so we can tell that the wings that went to GR and NO weren't for a homologation rally cars. Plus since S14s aren't much used since the end on last year, highest level for Subaru is Group N, and those use stock STI spoiler.

I might contact the L'aunsport people next, anyways by the time I save up money for it I'll probably know should it fit or not.

And its not ugly, for me at least, S14 is one of the best looking Scoobs.

Last edited by Igor103; 07-05-2011 at 10:33 AM.
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

I Support ClubWRX
    Aesthetics aside, from what I'm seeing that wing will rid you of that pesky rearward visibility problem.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Aesthetics aside, from what I'm seeing that wing will rid you of that pesky rearward visibility problem.
    That was my only thought. I don't really care what a car looks like, but I wouldn't want to drive behind one with that. Same kind of issue as the famous 'tinted tail lights' debate.

Sorry I didn't contribute much to your issue, but I wanted to highlight this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Who needs rear viability when you've got a BFW to look at

Subaru mass produces the rear gates on these cars. The overall structure will be the same on everyone from 08-11. Some markets may not have some holes pre-drilled, but there maybe marks for said holes. Pull the trigger, any good body shop will be able to figure it out.

I Support ClubWRX
    Visibility isn't hindered all that much, you see everything under the 8th defroster line.
    2011.WRX.PRM.GRB.WRB
    Stink-Eye Mob #103

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    do it , looks great
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Well, I will go with the cookie-cutter answer here... not my cup of tea, but if it makes you happy, well done!
    After a year or so... Honey badger don't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast