anyone had aftermarket HIDs?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on anyone had aftermarket HIDs? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Saw a video on youtube of an installation and it led me to this kit here. Standard H11 Kit | ...

anyone had aftermarket HIDs?

Saw a video on youtube of an installation and it led me to this kit here.

Standard H11 Kit | H11 Kits | HID Kits | XenonSupply Inc.

Was wondering if anyone had any expierence with this brand and if there has been any hassles with the lights.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Im torn between 6000k and 8000k.

i dont want the lights to look too ricey so im leaning a bit towards 6000k

if you don't want it to look ricey (in fact, if you want it to be legal and safe), you need a full retrofit of projector housings. Don't put HID's into reflector housings. Not even once.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Do a search my friend, you'll find a LOT of threads about this kind of thing. I'm going to say don't do it, I have my reasons and I've stated them before, but I don't want to start yet another fiery debate about it.

Also, if you don't want ricey, 4500k or 6000k. 6000k is where the usable light starts decreasing, so going above that is really quite a bad choice if your goal is to have better lighting.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Sorry for being a noob, but can someone explain to me what retrofit is? Ive been reading and Ive heard thats the only way to go.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Krayzie View Post
    Sorry for being a noob, but can someone explain to me what retrofit is? Ive been reading and Ive heard thats the only way to go.
    A retrofit is essentially taking the reflector/projector housings out of one car, and fitting them into your stock headlight housings. The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications has a lot of different kits available to do a complete retrofit to ensure you have optimal lighting. I would definitely recommnd a retrofit kit. Doing a simple bulb and ballast install is very nearly counterproductive for all kinds of reasons.

Everyone was a noob at some point, nothing to be ashamed of. Asking questions is how you learn, after all.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

thanks - it sounds like you may not be going down the wrong path

Basically, regular lights use reflector housings (the light is facing the rear of the car, the light reflects off the lens to go forward). Factory/legal HID's are projector lights - they use special lenses. The light actually faces forward, and the lens and housing are fit in order to project the light towards where you want it on the ground, and to cut-off the light on top, where it would be blinding oncoming traffic.

A retrofit is where you, by some means, get a projector housing into your car. For 02-03, you can get JDM/EDM lights (although the RHD version has to be aimed - A LOT, and even then the cutoff is mostly in the wrong direction), and there are a few other options that give you projector housings (I think morettes were for a while, or you can take s2k housings and work them in there somehow). 04-05 has a ton of aftermarket options, plus there were USDM HIDs I believe, so your best option is to swap those lights in. Same deal as you go up.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Thanks guys youve been alot of help. I have a couple more questions.

I came across this

Morimoto Retro-Quik System - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

What I need to buy anything else? Is it easy to install? I would have no idea on how to install.

btw I have a 2011 wrx
    Last edited by Krayzie; 06-19-2011 at 09:05 PM.

I am going to go with the same kit, I think rsutton1223 is the only member on here thats done the retrofit with this kit. Heres the thread he posted.

2011 WRX Bi-Xenon Retrofit

Is a pretty straightforward install and the retrofit source provides detailed instructions upon request....quality

I Support ClubWRX
    It looks to me to be an all inclusive kit. Not sure what the quality of the lenses or the projector housings themselves is, but it looks like a pretty good kit that should have a straight forward install with those application specific adapters.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Anyone have pics of the differences between HID kit and retrofit

If you look at the thread link I posted thats with retrofit...a hid kit in a halogen projector wont be as sharp and with have no color cutoff (flicker effect) also there is bound to be some bleeding of light because the focal point with a halogen projector is much more wide.

I Support ClubWRX
    Here's an 08 WRX with HID's in the stock housing:

Here's how the cutoff and beam pattern looks in a proper housing:

Notice the glare above the cutoff line in the conversion kit, as well as the hot spots directed in the center of the beam, where as with the retrofit you have absolutely no glare above the cutoff line, and the light is dispersed more evenly.

Granted the two pictures are taken by two different people and are obviously of differing quality, but this gives you an idea of what to expect with a conversion kit vs. a retrofit. I won't go into why I never recommend a conversion kit here, again to avoid the fiery debate, but this gives you at least some idea.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Thanks for everyones posts! I wanna order that kit right now, but damn idk if I should wait a while lol

Im a little nervous to install them already. Looks like alot of work, and I have no exp.

This is probably a dumb question, but rather be safe than sorry.... On the kit page, do I choose the 09-11 Impreza?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Krayzie View Post
    Thanks for everyones posts! I wanna order that kit right now, but damn idk if I should wait a while lol

Im a little nervous to install them already. Looks like alot of work, and I have no exp.

This is probably a dumb question, but rather be safe than sorry.... On the kit page, do I choose the 09-11 Impreza?
    It may seem daunting, but if you follow the instructions carefully, take your time, and ask questions here if you get stuck or are not sure about something, you'll do fine.

Yes, that would be the appropriate option. If you're not sure, give them a call in the morning and ask them about it. I have no doubt they'd be willing to walk you through what you would need.
    Cody

Good news, everyone!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast