Craftsman Mechanics Tools Being Outsourced To China & Taiwan
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Craftsman Mechanics Tools Being Outsourced To China & Taiwan within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I wanted to point this out to everyone on here...... Danaher the company who makes Craftsman mechanics tools has been ...

Craftsman Mechanics Tools Being Outsourced To China & Taiwan

I wanted to point this out to everyone on here......

Danaher the company who makes Craftsman mechanics tools has been slowly outsourcing the Craftsman line to China and Taiwan for over two years.

A simple Google search will yield the economic answer. Danaher cut jobs in their plants in 2008 and 2009 due to an acquisition. They weren't making the profit they wanted. So they cut American jobs and started outsourcing parts of the Craftsman line to China and Taiwan, so they could acquire other more profitable companies. Danaher recently paid 6.8 Billion for a medical technology company, so expect more Craftsman tools to be outsourced!

Danaher also makes GearWrench and Matco tools.

I first noticed Craftsman tools not being made in the US in 2009, with the lower end Craftsman Evolv line. Then gradually I noticed new tool designs by Craftsman, like the Dogbone wrench and new ratcheting wrenches not being made in the US.

Yesterday I went to Sears to take advantage of this SUPER SALE. Sears was selling the 7pc locking flexhead ratcheting wrench for $61.74, this set normally costs $124.99!

I went to the case, and low and behold the metric set said made in Taiwan on the back. So I ended up getting the standard set, which had been made in America.

Expect more of Craftsman tools we use for our Subies to be outsourced as time goes on.

If you are looking to tell the difference between the American made and Foreign made, it's easy... if it's American made, it says so right on the front of the package/box and on the tool. Foreign made tools say nothing of origin on the front of the packaging/box and tools, but do say made in Taiwan or China in small print on the back of the packaging/box.

The Warranty is still the same on Foreign made Craftsman mechanics tools as it is on American made, guaranteed for life.

Prices are still the same for Foreign made Craftsman hand tools vs American made, which is BS. Why pay the same for a tool that costs less to make, and is inferior to its American counterpart!

For me, buying a Craftsman tool meant getting a higher quality tool, and supporting the US economy, while having the best warranty in the industry. I have used Kobalt, Husky and GearWrench, and found them inferior to Craftsman. Also Lowe's and Home Depot can be picky with their warranties, while GearWrench was not.

I always told friends the day Sears stops their lifetime warranty on Craftsman tools, or they outsource, is the day Sears goes out of business.

I think this is the beginning of the end for Sears. If the Craftsman name turns to garbage, then Sears is just another hardware/appliance store competing against BestBuy, Lowe's, Home Depot, and Ace.

Thoughts or comments....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I think it's been over half a decade now that Sears were sued for falsely advertising the Craftsman tools as US-made. I don't know who won.

OK so let's assume Matco isn't US-made any more. Not all Snap-On stuff is either, by definition, and not for the same reasons as Sears... That leaves Mac I suppose.

If you want great quality Chinese tools go to Lowe's and look at Kobalt. Good stuff, it'll last fine.

Incidentally, Sears is exactly what you stated: a competitor to BestBuy, Lowe's Home Depot... but not Ace. Craftsman tools are sold at Ace.

EDIT: Never mind about Mac, they're out too by your criteria I think. You could either expand "American" to include all Americans, opening up the possibilities, or you can look at Cornwell tools (I think; I have never used them but their reputation seems excellent). Also you can call your local Cat dealer and ask if they carry Bradford, and where those are made.

I think a greater impact can be made in items one buys more frequently (a good tool lasts a lifetime). I'd recommend focusing on shoes and clothing; that's what I've done. I go out of my way to buy clothing and shoes made in the EU or the US (depending on where I'm at at the time etc.). These are higher volume items for the average household.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 06-09-2011 at 04:08 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I find it rather odd to find fault with foreign made tools being used on a foreign made car... just saying.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    I find it rather odd to find fault with foreign made tools being used on a foreign made car... just saying.
    I can't speak for the OP but to me, it's not a matter of "foreign." It's a matter of how and under what conditions the items was made and marketed, how the workers are treated, what effect(s) there might be on the environment, on the local (to me) economy, and so on.

I'd buy JP tools if they were comparable to US tools in quality. I'd do the same for clothing and shoes etc., because their standards and norms, although not entirely aligned with those in, say, the EU, are not too far off. What goes on in CN from what I have heard (in terms of intellectual property protection, quality control, and so on) isn't as inspiring. This is why I feel bad buying stuff from there.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I think it's been over half a decade now that Sears were sued for falsely advertising the Craftsman tools as US-made. I don't know who won.

OK so let's assume Matco isn't US-made any more. Not all Snap-On stuff is either, by definition, and not for the same reasons as Sears... That leaves Mac I suppose.

If you want great quality Chinese tools go to Lowe's and look at Kobalt. Good stuff, it'll last fine.

Incidentally, Sears is exactly what you stated: a competitor to BestBuy, Lowe's Home Depot... but not Ace. Craftsman tools are sold at Ace.

EDIT: Never mind about Mac, they're out too by your criteria I think. You could either expand "American" to include all Americans, opening up the possibilities, or you can look at Cornwell tools (I think; I have never used them but their reputation seems excellent). Also you can call your local Cat dealer and ask if they carry Bradford, and where those are made.

I think a greater impact can be made in items one buys more frequently (a good tool lasts a lifetime). I'd recommend focusing on shoes and clothing; that's what I've done. I go out of my way to buy clothing and shoes made in the EU or the US (depending on where I'm at at the time etc.). These are higher volume items for the average household.
    I was aware of that lawsuit and that was for more of the Craftsman hand tools, not the mechanics tools. To the best of my knowledge, during the time of the suit, all Craftsman mechanics tools were still made in the US.

I know Ace sells Craftsman tools now, but you can't take advantage of any of the Craftsman tool sales at Ace, meaning if Sears has a 154 piece tool set for sale, it's not on sale at ACE. I would still say ACE is a competitor to Sears. Also Ace can be a franchise, Sears is only corporate.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHeavenWRX View Post
    Why pay the same for a tool that costs less to make, and is inferior to its American counterpart!
    In no way is it inferior to its American counterpart simply because its made elsewhere. The metal is the same and the machining is the same. That's why they have the same guarantee. The only difference is the labour costs.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jgardiner View Post
    In no way is it inferior to its American counterpart simply because its made elsewhere. The metal is the same and the machining is the same. That's why they have the same guarantee. The only difference is the labour costs.
    I'm not disputing your claim, however the "where" can very much matter. A plant that produces a high quality widget can send their prints/specs/incoming materials to another place, but if their culture of quality is not the same (Six Sigma, use of SPC to monitor production processes, etc.) then you can get very different results.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

China can produce complete garbage, or excellent, top quality products. It's all about the client's want/need. Don't even get me started on the quality of Chinese products you see in most countries in Africa; you buy 6 lighters if you need one and hope for one of them to work for a week, pray that one doesn't blow up in your hand etc... I typically smuggle as many Bics with me as I can when I go over there.

On the other end of the spectrum, some of my "higher quality" tools are made in China/Taiwan and they've been great.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's all about the almighty dollar and always has been,and my issues with China go way beyond what we can get into here.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Speak with your wallet.

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by SamXp View Post
    Speak with your wallet.
    I try to. With fast dwindling choices, that is becoming less effective.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

It is time to raise the tariff's on imports from China. Or America will surely be a land of little jobs.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Nowadays whenever I see "Made in USA" I get excited/surprised.

I recently saw this interesting documentary on China on CNBC

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    thanks for the heads up, I'll have to keep my eyes peeled when I go to purchase more tools (well quite frankly I've probably already got enough tools and then some ))

All of my tools are Craftsman (a few speciality tools being the exception)- I never minded paying a little more due to the quality and the fact they were US made
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.