hummm.... running lean..?

This is a discussion on hummm.... running lean..? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Soo... everything has been going quite perfect with my 04 rex.. when today out of know where my check engine ...

hummm.... running lean..?

Soo... everything has been going quite perfect with my 04 rex.. when today out of know where my check engine light comes on... the code red po-171 which i believe means running lean... ?? during this time white smoke would sometimes come out of the exhaust - this all happened 2 days ago. Present day-the check engine light has not come back on... and I havnt noticed the white smoke... but now... when i put my clutch in- for example coming to a stop light my idle stick falls down all the way to bottom of the rpm and then quickly bounces back to 500 almost like its trying to stay awake and not stall... IM Really confused on what this all might be... I dont think its the tune because ive had it for about 6 months and never had anything like this happen... IM just worried about the "running" lean and confused about this werid idle thing...

-any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks guys..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    For the PO171: Clean your MAF. Replace your air filter. Check for leaks. Repeat.
    If you're still stumbling at idle: Clean IACV. Use a new gasket.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Year/mods/mileage?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    For the PO171: Clean your MAF. Replace your air filter. Check for leaks. Repeat.
    If you're still stumbling at idle: Clean IACV. Use a new gasket.
    Yeah all give that ^ a shot tomorrow.. thanks man!

And my mods
    -fully exhaust (catalytic converter removed)
    -ecu remap w/ stage 2 tune with more boost (FTW tuning)
    -intake
    -BOV

Im kinda thinking now after doing some research that the bov might be the cause of the idle confusion- have you guys heard of this?

I Support ClubWRX
    Then you already have an intake leak -- the BOV. You also likely have an inadequate filter. If cleaning the MAF, fixing all the other leaks you might find, checking that the FPR has still got its little reference line attached, and then (only then; do the MAF tests first I'd say) checking the IACV for the idle issue still leaves you with a CEL, you might test with the correct factory valve fitted and see what happens.

I'd say to fit the correct intake also and test, but I don't know if your tune dictates you continue using the part you're now using so I would just check everything else above. Do clean the filter though, you'll be cleaning the MAF anyway.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Hey just wanted to let you guys know I FIXED the "wandering idle" thank you for all your help!

Before reseting the ECU I decided to pull the BOV off real quick to see it thats what was causing it.
    -It was,
    after driving with off for about 20 min everything went back to normal- the rex feels great! haha a joy to drive once again.

But i do have 2 more question.....

I'm a delivery driver and have to constantly stop and go- in your guys opinion because ive heard some controversy on this
    -is it better to turn the car off or leave it idle when your stopped (delivering at the door) for about 5 min. Ive heard it was better to save gas to turn it off- but internally also wear out parts turning it on and off every delivery....

Also Ive noticed parking on a hill (letting the car idle) my exhaust after about 3 min will start puffing white smoke BUT THIS ONLY OCCURS WHEN ON A HILL....?? really confused because i never notice in any other situation. any ideas??
    thanks guys!

I Support ClubWRX
    No idea on the hill thing. I'd turn the car off and lock it when going some place for five minutes. Good news on fixing the car though!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by k2dapo
    I'm a delivery driver and have to constantly stop and go- in your guys opinion because ive heard some controversy on this
    -is it better to turn the car off or leave it idle when your stopped (delivering at the door) for about 5 min. Ive heard it was better to save gas to turn it off- but internally also wear out parts turning it on and off every delivery....
    Don't leave your keys in the ignition while you are away from the vehicle.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

hahaah I appreciate your concern on the rex being stolen... but i live in a small town and am pretty trusting/aware of my environment I dont think there has been GTA in over 15 years...