2002 "glassbox" transmission
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 "glassbox" transmission within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello. I'm new to this forum. Anyway I'm going to be buying my first car (Subaru Impreza WRX of course) ...

Post 2002 "glassbox" transmission

Hello. I'm new to this forum. Anyway I'm going to be buying my first car (Subaru Impreza WRX of course) and I'm trying to decide between an 02 or an 03. I've been researching both and I've found that the 02 transmission has a reputation. I wanted to know if I don't plan on beating on it (too much) if it'd be ok for me to get the 02, or should I spring for the 03?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Both transmissions are the same. If you're worried about breaking a transmission spring for an STI.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    The 03(and some late 02's) have slightly wider gears, but neither is equipped to take a beating. If the vehicle has been driven properly & well maintained, either will last a good long time. My 02 had over 80k on the original trans & clutch when it was wrecked w/ no indication of wear or damage. And I auto-x'd it
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

Well i'm not looking to beat on it, just burn the occasional ricer at the stoplight.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan.Latouche View Post
    Well i'm not looking to beat on it, just burn the occasional ricer at the stoplight.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    If your plan is to be a stoplight racer, I'd look into a different sort of car.

My 2002 gearset is still chugging along, despite some fairly decent power increases, but then I ignore the ricers at the stoplights.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Launching hard from a stop is the most damaging thing you can do to this trans...
    Dirty Jersey
    Part-Time Grammar Nazi
    RIP- '02 PSM Wagon
    08 Candy White MK5 GTI 6spd

Moderator:Tri-State and Transmission & AWD forums

if you learn how to launch properly in these cars, you'll be replacing clutches like crazy, but your transmission will be fine, AA or BA gears. If you do it wrong too many times (or one really bad time), you'll be replacing transmissions like crazy, AA or BA. The damage is on you, not the gearbox.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Don't risk it. Take it to the Track. Much safer, legal, more fun, and you would have official documentation of the said "Ricer Burning".
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

Quote Originally Posted by WillieRX View Post
    Don't risk it. Take it to the Track. Much safer, legal, more fun, and you would have official documentation of the said "Ricer Burning".
    this. Although being at the track does not protect your drivetrain from damage - usually the opposite, actually :P
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    If your plan is to be a stoplight racer, I'd look into a different sort of car.

My 2002 gearset is still chugging along, despite some fairly decent power increases, but then I ignore the ricers at the stoplights.
    Well I don't plan on being a stoplight racer, just beating all those dang ricers in my neighborhood that think their ride is something special. I chose this because of it's power, as well as it's reliability. I just wanted to know a little bit more about the trans so when I get it, I know what to do/not to do

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I don't plan on being a stoplight racer, just beating all those dang ricers in my neighborhood that think their ride is something special. I chose this because of it's power, as well as it's reliability. I just wanted to know a little bit more about the trans so when I get it, I know what to do/not to do
    The '02 doesn't have that much power, nor is it the most reliable car. Buy a newer Maxima, Altima or Camry with a V6 and you will still beat the "ricers" at the stoplights and have great reliability. If you really want to drag race, buy something with a V8.

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I don't plan on being a stoplight racer, just beating all those dang ricers in my neighborhood that think their ride is something special.
    Why not just let them think that their ride is something special?
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Why not just let them think that their ride is something special?

What he said. Ray has let me think my ride is special for years now!

I Support ClubWRX
    I like your whip, too.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast