2011 5dr need good SUNSHADE
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 5dr need good SUNSHADE within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I want to do my best to save the interior/dash since I live in CA and the sun here is ...

2011 5dr need good SUNSHADE

I want to do my best to save the interior/dash since I live in CA and the sun here is really intense.

Anyone know of a good one? I know I can get a heatshield custom fit one from amazon. IT is the roll up type but fits perfectly. Anyone know of a company that makes a good folding up one? I saw the one subaru has and I feel its not good at all.

thanks for the advise

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How long are you intending to keep the car for? I wouldn't worry about dash issues for a good number of years.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Get a 30% tint all around (not on the windshield of course)...it will look good and not too gangsta'd out and will provide for some sun protection for most of the interior. It will do a better job of slowing and not allowing for super-heating of the cabin as well.

But as Scott said, new cars and any fading and cracking problems usually aren't anything to worry about.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+1 to tint

/thread
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Haha, easy for you folks in Colorado, PA and NJ to say there's no need for a sunshade but I spent 8 years in New Orleans area and even with tint, the sunshade makes a HUGE difference between an oven and just a toaster oven.

I've been looking for one, myself, but haven't found any cool Subaru-specific sunshades. My favorite is just a silver expandable one. The type you need to twist and close in one deft motion. It takes some practice but stows easily behind the seat, nice and small and blocks the sun effectively.
    http://www.amazon.com/Basix-Magic-Ju...2017450&sr=1-1
    Last edited by SamXp; 04-05-2011 at 09:31 AM.

the day after i bought my car i got 5% on the back 5 windows and 30 on the fronts, and bought a cheapo sunshade from costco for like $6. my car stays cool in the sun. thats all you need
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

i always get the legal limit on the tint. its the darkest and its still legal. i think in cali you have to leave the driver and passenger windows untinted and the ones in the back can be tinited. as far a windlsheild shade, i got one at the dollar store and ive had it for like 2 yrs. works just fine. its one of those shade that folds and looks like its made of aluminum foil.

I Support ClubWRX
    I see value in having some kind of sun shade in the Carolina summers:

1)With the exception of an automotive ADD period that I had back in 2005'ish, I try to keep my cars for a while. The dash in my '02 has been shaded since I got it 5 years ago, and still looks basically new. Hard to know how it would look sans a condom.

2)On 100 degree days, the car is cooler when I get in it to go home. My tint also helps.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by SamXp View Post
    Haha, easy for you folks in Colorado, PA and NJ to say there's no need for a sunshade but I spent 8 years in New Orleans area and even with tint, the sunshade makes a HUGE difference between an oven and just a toaster oven.
    Apparently you don't know this, but Denver is the sunniest place in the US with over 300 days of sun a year.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Get a 30% tint all around (not on the windshield of course)...it will look good and not too gangsta'd out and will provide for some sun protection for most of the interior. It will do a better job of slowing and not allowing for super-heating of the cabin as well.

But as Scott said, new cars and any fading and cracking problems usually aren't anything to worry about.
    Got the car on Sunday tinting was done on Tuesday 30% all way around. Wooddash.com and amazon have a custom fitted one that I'm going to order. I'll post a pic up once I get it 40 with shipping. Believe it's a heatshield one. Had one fir my 93 civic back in the day. They fit perfectly since they are custom to your car. Guess I'm anal but even using a crappy one made a huge difference in temp of my car when I got into my car to drive for lunch. I am buying this car so hopefully ill pay it off then get something else and keep the wrx for a track car or something.

Just washed it for the first time today
    Last edited by YorkWRX11; 04-06-2011 at 11:08 AM.

^^^That looks great! So purdy!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Apparently you don't know this, but Denver is the sunniest place in the US with over 300 days of sun a year.
    I didn't know that! And then you guys have the whole 8000 feet closer to the sun thing going, as well. But until you've stepped into a car that has baked in the heat in the deep south or Southwest, you can't fully grasp how going without a sunshade is not an option. You literally can't breathe that air in until the door or windows are open for a minute.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SamXp View Post
    But until you've stepped into a car that has baked in the heat in the deep south or Southwest, you can't fully grasp how going without a sunshade is not an option.
    This.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by YorkWRX11 View Post
    Got the car on Sunday tinting was done on Tuesday 30% all way around. Wooddash.com and amazon have a custom fitted one that I'm going to order. I'll post a pic up once I get it 40 with shipping. Believe it's a heatshield one. Had one fir my 93 civic back in the say. They fit perfectly since they are custom to your car. Guess I'm anal but even using a crappy one made a huge difference in temp of my car when I got into my car to drive for lunch. I am buying this car so hopefully ill pay it off then get something else and keep the wrx for a track car or something.

Just washed it fit the first time today
    very nice SWP! where in socal? i also couldnt help but notice that nice X5 in the background also. my wife wants one, but we definitely cant afford one right now!

congrats on the tint!
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy_Digital View Post
    i always get the legal limit on the tint. its the darkest and its still legal. i think in cali you have to leave the driver and passenger windows untinted and the ones in the back can be tinited. as far a windlsheild shade, i got one at the dollar store and ive had it for like 2 yrs. works just fine. its one of those shade that folds and looks like its made of aluminum foil.
    Ive lived in Califorinia, sadly for all my life. I have always tinted the front windows. Ive had many tickets over the years but never for tint. Its a fix it ticket at most, in addition most tinters charge you 10 dollars a window to remove, and 25 dollars a window to retint. Worth the gamble IMHO. However I have yet to tint my 2011, when I do ill probly go lite 30 alround.
    Yes dear polishing the underside of the rocker panels IS important.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.