Subaru WRX Forum banner

What is the average age of a new WRX/STI owner

241K views 1K replies 680 participants last post by  cassidygeorge567 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have loved WRX's for years, but have never owned one. As i am getting older, when i talk with people about getting a new car and tell them i am looking at a WRX they say "isnt that a kids car?" and look at me funny. So here is the question to anyone that has purchased a new WRX/STI since 2008. What age were you when you purchased the car and do you regret it?

EDIT:

Just so you know what the Subaru Market Research team has found:

TheJ :)

See less See more
#706 ·
I was 18 when I financed my first wrx because at the time I was too cool for school.. lol I am going on 24 now and financed my 3rd back in January. (yes I have a car problem lol). My father had a 5 speed forester sport xt with all the sti goodies back in 08 and he liked my recent wrx so much he pulled the trigger on a PBP Limited Hatch a week after I got mine. He's 49 lol.

#712 ·
No.

#749 · (Edited)
Hi All Am I the oldies ??? 64 this year New 2013 Black 5 door WRX and I love it .
Whew! I thought I was going to be the oldest one on the forum. 57 and just bought my first Subaru, a base WRX, after 33+ years of driving VWs. The last one, a 4-door Golf turbo that I modded with GTI suspension, sway bars, and a 3" cat-back exhaust, was a great ride - when I bought it in 2001. When I test drove a 2013 GTi before buying the WRX, I couldn't believe it. It was the same car! +20 HP, +leather upholstery, +$12k sticker, but the performance and handling hadn't changed in 12 years. If it weren't for the new-car smell I would have thought it was my old ride.

61 and 64 look great to me. I kept the last car for 12 years and would have kept it another 4 if some dingbat on a cell phone hadn't blown thru a stop sign and T-boned me. I'll count myself lucky if I last as long as the WRX!

So I'm a slow learner, but I got it. I'm enjoying the heck out of the car and can't wait until I get over 1,000 miles on it so I can open it up a little bit.

#719 ·
No matter what age, it seems that the car attracts the nerdy and mechanically inclined car people that appreciate the mechanics of this car and understand more about most cars than the majority.

It is hard to find someone that owns a WRX and doesn't know a damn thing about cars.

I am 27 which is on the young side, but reading this thread sure shows how wide the age group really is with this type of vehicle.

#720 ·
I'm going to disagree with you. For every 1 enthusiast there are probably several who don't know a damn thing. Enthusiasts are on the small end of the scale. The people on these forums just choose to surround yourself with the enthusiasts.

#725 ·
27 here I personally don't care what other people think. I drove a 1998 black bug with a 5 speed in high school and college, sure I got picked on but most of the time it was from the Civic crowd. I grew up in a pretty low income area but my family was very well off. The civic's were always lower end never a SI. They would pick on my until the saw me roast the tires in 1st and chirp them in 2nd and 3rd and there highly abused civic would only drink oil.... Anyway I went from that to a 2008 Scion XB and now have a 2011 Ford Edge Limited V6 Awd. The WRX is my fiancé's. We traded in her 06 Mazda 6s for it. She drove my bug once back in high school so I know she can get get used to the 5 speed. I have been driving her car and teaching her to drive it at night. The only time I think it is silly for someone to drive certain cars is like a 80 year old man driving a Ford Taurus Sho and never leaves 30mph town or someone drives a really nice car but lives in a dump....

#733 ·
I just bought mine last week, 2013 WRX sedan and I am 22...I saw someone talking about parents helping and I financed this car on my own with my own money down and no cosigns. Then again I do have good credit and a good job so its more than possible at this age. I'm sure the majority of the younger crowd will tend to have the older models as they are obviously used and cheaper

#734 ·
I'm a OLD SMART at 56 and proud to say it....currently driving my 2nd WRX (2013), have also owned a 2005 STI...and 4 other SUBIES, not to mention a EVO 9, and quite a few American Muscle Cars...I swear by Subaru and not @ them...

#735 ·
New owner of a 2005 WRX STI :) I'm 37 , I think young punks wish they had this car! I could only offered this car this year:) Your either a smart guy that worked really hard or your a smartass punk that sells drugs. But either way SMART CHOICE.
I bought mine all broken and tomorrow its ready :) I love this car so much I'm selling my TOYOTA SUPRA NA, besides I'm from Montreal you should see the size of our pot holes, in general there a foot square and several inches deep :( we drive rally style here! And we are dangerously bad :(
I drove it all week with check engine light on , leaky muffler, 2 bad spark plugs, and bald tires. And I still love it!!!
All I can say is WOW what power, What a beast. I can only describe it as pavement ripping fun.
Today my mechanic called and ask me how many HP I wanted to have and he said with the setup I got in the car I was able to get from 350hp-500hp depending on how much fuel I want to use. But that the car was running at 250hp max and that anywhere near 500hp could kill me fast and that I should practice at 375hp:) I can't wait
:) I'll get pictures soon BLack and GOLD.

#739 ·
I think young punks wish they had this car! I could only offered this car this year:) Your either a smart guy that worked really hard or your a smartass punk that sells drugs.
I'm a smartass punk that worked really hard, so....covered.

#738 ·
Purchased my 2011 DGM WRX @ 21 w/o help from parents, but I was living at home. I also had a new Harley 48 1200 sportster, sold my bike and now living on my own.
If I could do it again I would buy an older model to save some $$, but I love my car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.