Subaru WRX Forum banner

What is the average age of a new WRX/STI owner

241K views 1K replies 680 participants last post by  cassidygeorge567 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have loved WRX's for years, but have never owned one. As i am getting older, when i talk with people about getting a new car and tell them i am looking at a WRX they say "isnt that a kids car?" and look at me funny. So here is the question to anyone that has purchased a new WRX/STI since 2008. What age were you when you purchased the car and do you regret it?

EDIT:

Just so you know what the Subaru Market Research team has found:

TheJ :)

See less See more
#29 ·
I have loved WRX's for years, but have never owned one. As i am getting older, when i talk with people about getting a new car and tell them i am looking at a WRX they say "isnt that a kids car?" and look at me funny. So here is the question to anyone that has purchased a new WRX/STI since 2008. What age were you when you purchased the car and do you regret it?
Look at the MSRP of a new WRX and then look at how many "kids" can afford that.

#33 ·
Hood scoop, vents, flared fenders, bright colors. The WRX looks like a hotwheels concept come to life. Having said that, children arent allowed to drive so it will have to be for people who can still connect with their inner child. That and its like riding a rollercoaster so its definately for kids (aka me).

#34 ·
Bought mine last year as a self treat for my b-day i was 27. Like someone said who cares what anyone says. I sold my S13 time attack car for my suby. It is a car young people like, the reason I bought mine, is because of conversations a friend of mine and used to have over 10yrs ago talking about wrx's evo's long before they ever hit the US market. For me it was buying a car we used to imagin owning as kids. Hell next on my list is buying a GTR once I get my self more situated and pay off my D.D. :cool:

#36 ·
Put me down for 43 - and if there is anyone who has an issue with it, then it is there issue - not mine. Love the car. Anyone who knows cars respects it, although I do find there are a lot of people my age who don't know what you mean when you say WRX, so I just tell them I have a "little Subaru hatch" ... and they smile politely and wonder why I would drive a car like that. They clearly have no idea what lurks inside ... ;)

#37 ·
I was 25 going on 26 when i got mine. Made the transition from Hondas and absolutely love it. I went from being a "Honda 4 life" guy to a "Subaru 4 Life" guy, haa. My wife and I are talking about getting her either a Tribecca or a Forrester when I finish grad school.

I also get a lot of compliments from older guys. Even though there have been plenty of 'gear heads' who have snubbed their noses at my 'hot little import', buuut NONE of them would take their car to the track with me.

#39 ·
I'm 21 and bought my 2011 WRX back in September.

A gift to myself from myself for working my ass off to gradute from a reputable university in 3 years and getting a good job. I'm sure when people see me driving around they assume I'm a spoiled kid (I look younger than 21), but I don't care. I couldn't be happier with the car. Who cares what other people think??

#41 ·
i was 29 when i bought my wrx. im now 30 (yikes). my last car was a 2005 tacoma 4x4 and my wifes mazda3 hatch. we sold the tacoma in '07 so we could save to get married and buy a house, so i havent had "my own" car since 2007. having one car b/t the both of us was pretty brutal for a while, but we lived in an area of san diego that had great public trans and i had access to a company car for a good period of that also. having my own car again makes me happy...

#42 ·
I'm 26.

I don't think it necessarily fits a market. I'm in colorado, and I see all kinds driving them.

I will admit... when ken block "got on the scene"... and then the bugeye got so cheep to purchase... we as a subaru owners group became screwed into dealing with the image that the honda civic garnered many years ago. I just hope that it doesn't end up as bad.

#43 ·
Same thing happened over in the 350z scene...they were always regarded as a "higher" end RWD sports car considering they held value really well...but as soon as the 370z was announced, prices of the 350 began to plummet meaning any little kid could afford a 2003 high mileage 350z...

#51 ·
It actually wasn't...but the completely linear power band was really weird after coming from a boosted powerband...
Agreed from my time behind the wheel of the G35. Coming from my VF34, it seemed like nothing was happening..and then you'd look down and you're doing 70. :eek3:

#47 · (Edited)
Im 19 years old. I had a steady income and 2 jobs throughout high school, so i saved every penny until i could afford my WRX. It took me until now to get my 04 WRX, and was originally going to purchase an STI. Insurance changed my mind about that, and i am still happy and love it!!! And no, my parents didn't buy it for me. Car is in my name. It's an excellent well built car, i recommend it to anyone. Pick what you like, who cares what others think.

-Matt

#58 ·
Thanks for all of the posts. I would like to keep this thread open to just the question of how old you are if possible. Thanks in advance.

#61 ·
Was 50....I figure reliability, handling and power doesn't have age limits. Besides I don't want to look like every other old dude out there with a "muscle car", "beamer" or mini-van. I love the car , how it looks and rides, thats all that matters to me.

#66 ·
Most people don't speak "car enthusiast". I've gotten the "cute" comment from women of a variety of ages. I smile and say "thank you, ma'am" :)

#63 ·
Hmmm...I had a twenty something gal tell me about the same thing... "cute car", wasn't offended at all. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.