Subaru WRX Forum banner

What is the average age of a new WRX/STI owner

241K views 1K replies 680 participants last post by  cassidygeorge567 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have loved WRX's for years, but have never owned one. As i am getting older, when i talk with people about getting a new car and tell them i am looking at a WRX they say "isnt that a kids car?" and look at me funny. So here is the question to anyone that has purchased a new WRX/STI since 2008. What age were you when you purchased the car and do you regret it?

EDIT:

Just so you know what the Subaru Market Research team has found:

TheJ :)

See less See more
#235 ·
I completely feel you Dzanga I still get that bs from car sells men they would give me the run around and not call me back and not even try to work prices with me. So when i would finally get to the point of i want that car with this for this price i hate to say this but it is how ridiculous people are, i would call my dad have him just walk in to the place and say hi and he would have to say or do anything else and they would immediately change their attitude with giving me the price i wanted. For ya'll that are thinking why didn't i go someone else i live in a smaller city and there is only 1 Subaru dealership within 120+ miles of me.

#237 ·
I will agree with you that there are faster cars out and subi has fallen off a lil in performance edge they once had but on the other hand they produce a car that is constantly amazing. You can nit pick any car. Like bmw or beinz great german engineering but you have lil problem here or there. Honda has produced a car built for economy but you take one of those and drop a turbo suspension upgrades and brakes and you could have a car that will blast the doors off an m3 in the quarter. You have the arguments internally of buying a WRX vs STI and spending the extra money to do stage 2 or even custom stage 3 upgrades and having a car that will make the STI look like a prius. The thing i have truely come to appreciate and respect with the Subaru cars is hearing people say they have been able to do stage 2 modifications on Foresters, WRX, STI, and Legacies and driving them another 120,000+ miles problem free with regular general maintenance, I challenge anyone to go and buy a Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti and drive them like we do our Subies for 120k with out a worry when am i going to have to take into the shop and drop another 3 grand to fix it lol. So like you said Mike "we love our Subarus.:thumbup:"

#238 ·
That all is why we have termed WRXs and STIs as NERDs...Niche Econobox Rally Derivatives! (Ray originated it!)

It is few and far between when you can find an enthusiast performance car that can have some mild creature comforts, maintain affordability, and still run a 5.6 second 0-60 time with 265+hp...all while maintaining reliability as well. Oh yeah, you can throw in AWD and safety into the mix...which the AWD and the kick in the nuts rush of the turbo are why I came back to Subaru again in under a year after getting rid of my first STI.

#243 · (Edited)
IMO, any car that can trap at 109 STOCK is not slow, objectively speaking, especially since an STi won't get anywhere near that in stock form. If I were stage 1 and had a stock 335 that close to me on a quarter-mile run, I'd be humbled (not saying the poster wasn't...sounded like he had a proper respect for the car).

#261 ·
being a Subaru dealer I think I can speak knowledgeably on the subject. I would say the average age goes up with the price of the car. Here are my best guesses, wrx base/premium=avg. 27 WRX Ltd= avg 30 STi =35. I have plenty of STi owners out there in thier late 50's though. Doctors, accountants etc. The car really holds massive appeal with most age groups.

#265 ·
I'll be 54 in June! This is my first REX and I am sure not my last! Gets your blood boiling driving it and feel young again! :rotfl:

#274 · (Edited)
I recently quit my job in the IT field to be a full-time student. My girlfriend is working in film so we don't have to worry financially for now. I've worked at Best Buy, Toys R' Us (probably the best), and as a salesman for kitchen appliances. I actually thought about moving to somewhere such as Virginia because IT is doing so well over there. But I'm currently trying to run a home-owned business while going to school, which has been doing pretty good so far.

EDIT: I forgot to add the most important part.. I'm an independent artist, ranging from Graphic Design to Paintings, Drawings, etc. I try to do a few things per week but I hardly have anytime as is.

#275 ·
That's awesome that you're only 18 and can support the car payments and all living expenses. I know I couldn't have been able to pull it off. Virginia has great IT opportunities, I have a few classmates that were recruited for major companies in VA for IT jobs. What's the home business you are operating now?

#276 ·
Yeah, I'll be perfectly honest and admit that I was expecting the usual "I live with my parents, but I pay for everything" answer. :rotfl:

#278 ·
Well I'm about to turn 23 in a month, but its quite a long story as to how I was able to pick up my 2009 WRX a month and half ago or so. The short version: I used to drive a 1998 2.7L Tacoma and absolutely loved it, but turns out that the frame was part of Toyota's "rust recall" issue and they ended up buying it off of me for a helluva lot more than it was worth. I've loved anything Impreza for as long as I can remember and was luckily able to find a great one at a good price and then with Toyota's money, paid 50% for it! :woocow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.