Subaru WRX Forum banner

What is the average age of a new WRX/STI owner

241K views 1K replies 680 participants last post by  cassidygeorge567 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have loved WRX's for years, but have never owned one. As i am getting older, when i talk with people about getting a new car and tell them i am looking at a WRX they say "isnt that a kids car?" and look at me funny. So here is the question to anyone that has purchased a new WRX/STI since 2008. What age were you when you purchased the car and do you regret it?

EDIT:

Just so you know what the Subaru Market Research team has found:

TheJ :)

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm 27 and this is my first wrx. The car is a teenager/boy racer dream but out of the people that have seen my car or ask about it really respect them and say it's an awesome car. I even get compliments from people much older than me.

However, my car is black, no wing, no stickers, stock exhaust, etc... Somewhat of a classy look.
I have talked about buying an 07 WRB STi w/gold BBS before getting my car and people say no way, your car looks 10 times better. So, I would say the bold colors, big wing, loud exhaust is what attracts the younger crowd therefore giving the wrx/sti that stereotype.

#4 ·
i just bought my 08 in november. Im 30, and i love it. then again, I was coming from an 04 hyundai tiburon, which is turning into a cheaper, "tuner" car even though its slow as molasses.

#5 ·
I got mine 2 years ago when I was 35. Yeah, these cars do tend to lean toward the younger crowd, but I dont care. Not sure how teens & early 20s kids can get financing for 30k to 40k for a brand new one. The mommy and daddy factor excluded of course.

It immensely helps the stereotype not to be plastered in stickers, misaligned body kits and huge tail pipes.

#421 ·
Im 22 and i got mine last April. The way i got financing on it is that I've lived on my own since i was 17, took a year off between high school and college and became salaried radioshack store manager and saved up for a down payment. Got the car without a problem. And its not 30-40K for a WRX. They start at like 24. To be honest in my area most "kids" have hawkeyes, blobeyes, or bugeyes. The closest person to my age that i know with a GR is 25.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I'm only 19, but my bugeye gets compliments from a lot of people 40 and over. The other day I got out of my car at Walgreens and some guy about 60 goes "That aint stock"

I guess the fact that it's a wagon helps me stay away from the childish tuner-boy crowd. My 27 year old brother just bought an 08 BMW 328Xi, and in all honesty, he looks kinda ridiculous driving that, even at his age. Maybe its the long hair and tattoos.

#10 ·
32 here.. its so far the best car I've ever owned when considering usefulness and fun factor.

I could really give a rats ass what others think, until they start making the payments for me.. they have no right to an opinion. ;)

#15 ·
I'm 36. I often toy with the idea of getting into something like an S4, but I enjoy my car too much, and its raw, rough around the edges feel. The price is right as well. My local forum has a fairly solid cross section of ages, incomes, etc... Definitely starting to see a slight bias towards younger drivers however since WRX's are much more affordable for an older model now.

#16 ·
I'm 23. I've always wanted a WRX/STi but I just couldn't afford one when I was younger. Finally was able to get my hands on one now, couldn't be happier :)

#18 ·
This brings up another question

So i agree and am glad that everyone is happy with their car. This makes me ask another question. In july i am going to be a father for the first time and am expecting to have a second child a year after the first one is born. How many of you have children with the wrx (looking at the wagon) and is it enough room for you?

#19 ·
And again, thank you all for replying, this is very helpful.

#20 ·
So I just went through this exact question. I have two young boys (age 3 and 1) and my wife will give birth to our third child, a girl next month...giving us 3 very young kids. She has a minivan, and I have had a Tahoe for the last 8 years, so we've not hurt for room in either vehicle. Now that it was time to replace my Tahoe I couldn't decide if I needed to get another big SUV, or at least a crossover, or the wrx I really wanted. I obviously bought the wrx and am so glad I did. It has plenty of room for 2 kids seats in the back, even with my seat and the passengers seat pushed back to where we want them. I have the 4 door and the trunk is plenty big. I get strollers, and all the kid paraphernalia in there without problem.

#21 ·
As mentioned above, I was 49 when I got my '02 WRX wagon. When I got my it, my youngest daughter was 4 and her sister 13. I had plenty of room to take them wherever they needed with all their sports gear, friends, etc. They always wanted to ride with me because my car was the fun car! Now 13, the youngest is planning on driving my WRX when she starts driving. :)

Te new hatchbacks are not quite as large as the older wagons, but unless you have to take high chairs, cribs, etc. With you, you should be fine. I had a pickup with a cap when my girls were infants.

#22 ·
Well I am 17 and just ordered my first WRX(also my first car) 2 weeks ago. Well I guess I am a lucky teenager that I get a WRX at 17. I don't think age matters though as everyone deserve to get what they want as long as they don't try to get the things illegally.

#26 ·
First one was bought when I was 35, now 44 and on my second one. Both have been great as backup family vehicles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.