What is the average age of a new WRX/STI owner - Page 38
Page 38 of 70 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on What is the average age of a new WRX/STI owner within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX Very nice! Got any pics to share? The first car of which I have a memory ...

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Very nice! Got any pics
    to share? The first car of which I have a memory is my mom's '64 MGB; that little car had a lot of personality, and made neat sounds.
    Not a single photo survived, and I can't imagine that we didn't take any. It was Dover White, red interior, black top, Abarth exhaust, and a badly worn engine (I got it used). This is a photo of a similar car, but not mine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	austin-healey-sprite-MK-V-car.gif 
Views:	97 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	108631

I actually measured on a short trip that it got 41.4MPG and 41.4MPQ (quart of oil). That beauty would smoke!

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cohland View Post
    I actually measured on a short trip that it got 41.4MPG and 41.4MPQ (quart of oil). That beauty would smoke!
    I think most imports did, in those days. My mom's MG leaded oil like crazy, and had 2 fairly serious wiring fires.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I think most imports did, in those days. My mom's MG leaded oil like crazy, and had 2 fairly serious wiring fires.
    The Sprite had a couple of what I call "spontaneous" electrical fires. I would pull up to a stop light, smoke would roll out from under the dash, there would be a flash, and it would quit running. I'd turn the key off, turn it back on, and it would start as if nothing had happened.

Electrical system courtesy of Joseph Lucas, Ltd., also known as the "Prince of Darkness", and inventor of the three-position switch: Dim, Flicker, and Off.

Chris
    Last edited by cohland; 10-03-2012 at 08:28 AM.

The Sprite had a couple of what I call "spontaneous" electrical fires. I would pull up to a stop light, smoke would roll out from under the dash, there would be a flash, and it would quit running. I'd turn the key off, turn it back on, and it would start as if nothing had happened. Electrical system courtesy of Joseph Lucas, Ltd., also known as the "Prince of Darkness", and inventor of the three-position switch: Dim, Flicker, and Off.

Chris
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Chris's humor wins
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    The Sprite had a couple of what I call "spontaneous" electrical fires. I would pull up to a stop light, smoke would roll out from under the dash, there would be a flash, and it would quit running. I'd turn the key off, turn it back on, and it would start as if nothing had happened.
    2 Stories: (I don't feel too bad, this thread's been around a while, and will get back on track on its own)

--My mom learned how to deal with most every idiosyncrasy of the MGB. One of these was the tendency for the electric fuel pump to suddenly stop working. In late 1966, while waaaaay pregnant with me, it killed on her while going down a 45mph highway. She coasted off into the parking lot of a beer joint, and, in front of a crowd of drunken onlookers, took a screwdriver under the car. She tapped the fuel pump until it started working again, got back in the car, and took off. Gotta love the self-sufficiency of the Silent Generation.

--The car had one wiring fire, and my parents paid to have it redone. The second (and last fire before my parents decided to offload it) time, it happened on a night when my dad, an orchestra director, had a concert. Having had a successful performance, he exited facility in his tuxedo, to find the MG hopping around in its parking space. A fire was in progress, and the starter had somehow shorted out with the car in gear. I'd love to have witnessed that scene first hand.

Neat cars, but if I was going to re-do a cantakerous English car, I'd probably go look for an old Lotus, either a Europa, or an early Esprit. I'll probably never get around to that, though. I love the German sports cars, too much.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 10-03-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

.....Neat cars, but if I was going to re-do a cantakerous English car, I'd probably go look for an old Lotus, either a Europa, or an early Esprit. I'll probably never get around to that, though. I love the German sports cars, too much.
    I'll follow your lead and stop this side-trip when you say so, but with that said, I have a little to add. I attempted a frame-up restoration of a 1961 or 62 TR3-B, but was defeated by the endless cheating and downright incompetence of a couple of shops that will remain nameless. I ended up with a rented garage full of parts and the chassis, which I sold to a Ford plant manager, who actually completed the restoration, and did a beautiful job in the process: BRG, steel wheels, and a proper engine build.

Name:	TR3.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	108633

The Lotus sickness flirted with me, but I took the logical alternative and got a Miata: The Lotus that didn't leak!

Name:	P3210005.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	108634

Chris
    Last edited by cohland; 11-13-2012 at 02:16 PM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Re: What is the average age of a new WRX/STI owner

I would own an Esprit V8 with a competent transmission, but since no such Esprit reached consumerism, I will continue to own my WRX.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX

What is the average age of a new WRX/STI owner

I love the looks and sound of the last gen Esprit, but yeah, I wouldn't own one.

Fun fact, since Lotus designed most of the DeLorean's chassis, it has a lot in common with the Esprit of it's year, and several DMC owners have swapped Esprit engines into them.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, there's no logical reason to own an Esprit. I saw it as a kid in "The Spy Who Loved Me", fell in love with the (at the time) radically angular shape, and it became one of my unicorns. Of course, if I was going to own a late '70's vintage sports car, this is the one I'd look for. 200hp and 2500 lbs, with a much more bulletproof drivetrain.

--Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

37 when I took ownership of my WRX

I too have a penchant for small European money pits, I tend to lean toward the Fiats, Lancias and Alphas though, but I wouldnt say no to a single Euro roadster/sports car ever made. I'm currently eyeing a Volvo 1800 for a project car. My first car of my own was a 76 Fiat Spyder and it was a disaster from day one but it made me comfortable taking apart a car and putting it back together again. Definitely worth the heart aches and bloody knuckles.
    Not as many parts left over this time... what am I missing?

picked up my '12 at 18

I'm 18 and bought my 03 myself, not with my parents help. Plus, I didn't get it to look cool either, I got it because I fell in love when driving it. I don't care if I look cool, I got it because it's a nice car all around, very flexible.

oh yeah, bought it myself without parents help and am making 6 payments a month lol