Subaru WRX Forum banner

What is the average age of a new WRX/STI owner

241K views 1K replies 680 participants last post by  cassidygeorge567 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have loved WRX's for years, but have never owned one. As i am getting older, when i talk with people about getting a new car and tell them i am looking at a WRX they say "isnt that a kids car?" and look at me funny. So here is the question to anyone that has purchased a new WRX/STI since 2008. What age were you when you purchased the car and do you regret it?

EDIT:

Just so you know what the Subaru Market Research team has found:

TheJ :)

See less See more
#744 ·
hmmm, 40 here... a wife, 3 kids - my oldest (7 yr. old son) thinks I drive the fastest, baddest car on the road. Well... when you can beat almost anything on the street today, you kinda are I guess... lol.

#750 ·
Someone had to do it...

I started a thread like this on a VW forum in 2002 - the mods shut it down "off topic." So I spent a few hours reading the thread.
346 responses to the OP question out of 748 posts. Not a bad S/N ratio compared to most forums I've frequented!
Average age at purchase is 30.4 years.
Mode (most common age) is 23, with 22 responses
youngest 15.5
oldest 67
25% are over 40
11% are over 50
7% over 55
4% over 60
Line Text Plot Diagram Font

#758 ·
Subaru badges

Subaru Badge of Ownership

On the order page, there is a box where you can suggest future badges. I don't know how many requests it takes to get Subaru to act. Some of the "New!" ones are Food and Wine, Antiquing, Fishing, Golf, Marathon, Half Marathon, Swimming, Breast Cancer Awareness, and Rally/Cross.

If a bunch of us older types asked within a few days, it might get noticed.

But what symbol for older WRX drivers? I'm half afraid to ask the question, because I can think of a lot of bad answers, but not many good ones. For example, given the overwhelming majority of men versus women WRX drivers on the forum, perhaps we should ask for Prostate Cancer Awareness. Don't think too hard about what that icon would show. See what I mean?

#769 ·
I'll be 35 this year... I went through 2 Evo's, a 370z a MS3 and a 93 Mustang 5.0 LX. I would have kept my Evo X, but I wound up wanting a lower payment and even though I went to an MS3 and 370.. I missed the AWD and always prefer that over anything else. I don't know, maybe it's considered a kids car to some. Oh well though lol.

#772 ·
I was 26 when I got the 11 Rex, and 27 when I got the 13 STi. Now I'm 28, and gonna be a Subaru owner for a while.

My friends give me s*** for "downgrading" from a "grown-up" car - 06 Cadillac STS V8 AWD that I bought when I was 22. It was a great car, luxurious and fun to drive, but it was a money pit.

Before that I had an 06 charger RT and literally one month before that had a charger V6. It was slooooooowwww, so I traded it in after a month for the hemi version.

Can't say I've made the smartest financial choices when it comes to cars...

#779 ·
'13 WRX hatch, and 24 years old, money coming out of my pocket. In multi-family property management. Everyone keeps saying all the "boys" want this car. Can men not drive one, too? :fuu:

#782 ·
The definition of who is a "boy" is highly dependent upon the observer. Think of it as "Rayfield's OG Theory of General Relativity".

Simplified: I think of you as a boy. People in their '80's think of me as a boy. :)
None of that matters in the least. Enjoy your car! I have two cars that are intended for 20-somethings.

#780 ·
I am 31 and I just got my WRX 2 weeks ago. I have listed all my cars since i got my license in 2000 and by far this is the best one.

96' maxima auto
'97 eclipse manual turbo
2000 Chevy Blazer auto (was traveling a lot)
2006 Accord manual 4-cyl
2006 Infiniti FX35
10' BMW 328Xi auto lease

own 2013 Cherokee for wifey
own my 2013 Subaru WRX limited

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Subaru impreza wrx sti Subaru

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.